PDA

View Full Version : Question on fish stocking order

xbethx
11/04/2012, 03:58 PM
So tank is still fairly new - 125gallon with 55 gallon sump/refuge. Currently houses a kole tang a yellow watchman goby and two clownfish. My question is would i be ok adding a yellow tang as my next fish? I know they can get agressive but is their aggression mainly toward other tangs added after them? Or would it still be aggressive toward the anthias and other fish that i plan on getting in the future?

And i know that every fish is different just looking for opinions/experiences

Thanks

DustyReefer
11/04/2012, 05:00 PM
The yellow will more than likely show some aggression to other newcomers as well, but just more in a show of dominance. The kole and the yellow might be a little more aggressive towards each at first, but it should die down after they figure out who's in charge.

xbethx
11/05/2012, 08:09 AM
Thanks
Anyone else have experience adding yellow tangs early?

tripdad
11/05/2012, 12:12 PM
In the past I added a coral beauty angel to a tank after a yellow tang was already established and the tang knocked it silly within the first hour, had to physically hold the angel and flush it's gills with water to revive it. Ended up putting a barrier between them for two weeks to let them acclimate to each other then they did well. The size of the fish really seems to matter, make the new fish very different in size so as to avoid the feelings of it being threatened.There is some other info in the fish primer thread at the top of this forum that's good. Good luck.

b0bab0ey
11/05/2012, 12:43 PM
Thanks
Anyone else have experience adding yellow tangs early?

I would always add a YT early, as they were readily available & one of my fav fish. But almost every time I ended up regretting it later. The aggression just never stopped, esp with other tangs. I honestly don't think it matters if you add one first or last. They are just a-hole bullies who constantly fight. I haven't owned one in probably 10 years now and my tanks are more peaceful because of it.