PDA

View Full Version : What to do with all the cords!!

ConnorG
11/04/2012, 10:00 PM
I am trying to add an auto top off system but have no place for the water reservoir because all the cords take up empty space in the sump. What do I do? Zip ties don't work I have tried:(

Spyderturbo007
11/05/2012, 07:04 AM
Have you tried the zip ties with the hole in the end (http://www.homedepot.com/buy/commercial-electric-8-in-natural-mounting-cable-ties-50-100-pack--295665.html#.UJe5PSLCuM0)? I used them to bundle all the cords and then run a screw through the hole and into the inside of the cabinet. That allowed me to suspend everything under the cabinet until I got to the power bar.

You can also hang the power bar to the wall inside the cabinet to save space as opposed to laying it on the bottom of the cabinet where is shouldn't be anywhere because of water spills.

ACBlinky
11/05/2012, 08:01 AM
^ this. I found hanging my powerbar up made things much easier to see and organize. You may be able to use zip ties to bundle cords, then another tie to suspend them from a hook in the wall. I attached my power bar to the back of the stand, behind and above the sump, and all the cords run together between the ATO reservoir and the sump, up to the power bar.

RocketEngineer
11/05/2012, 08:18 AM
I use an alternative to the nylon cable ties: Velcro Cable Ties (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202261940/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=cable+tie&storeId=10051#.UJfKPX4w_ng)

I have found them at several box stores as well as some of the little hardware stores. The nice thing about these is they can be opened and closed as needed. For wire bundles you know won't need to be removed the nylon ones are nice. Where you may need to add or remove a cord, these Velcro ones work well.

HTH,
RocketEngineer

Spyderturbo007
11/05/2012, 08:41 AM
You may be able to use zip ties to bundle cords, then another tie to suspend them from a hook in the wall.

That's a really good idea using the hook that I never thought of trying. My problem with the other ones has always been if I needed to move / access a plug. You have to cut all the ties, unscrew them from the cabinet and then try and screw them back in again using a new tie.

Using a hook would make that much easier. Cut the tie, unhook, replace the tie and then rehook them.

I'm going to Home Depot tonight and getting some hooks!

BigAl2007
11/05/2012, 09:01 AM
I mounted an American DJ "DJ Box" inside my cabinet and run all the cords into that and then "bundle" them behind in loops etc attached along the walls or behind the cabinet.

MondoBongo
11/05/2012, 10:26 AM
my sump takes up all the available room under my stand, so i have no where for an ATO reservoir either.

i was thinking of building or buying a wooden cabinet that i could place next to the tank and use to hide the cords and reservoir in.

BigAl2007
11/05/2012, 11:16 AM
was thinking of building or buying a wooden cabinet that i could place next to the tank and use to hide the cords and reservoir in.

That's what I did on my last 90g build and LOVED it. It got the electrical stuff AWAY from the water and allowed for a very neat and tidy installation. I had issues with a couple of cords not being long enough but worked that out in short order.

MondoBongo
11/05/2012, 01:32 PM
That's what I did on my last 90g build and LOVED it. It got the electrical stuff AWAY from the water and allowed for a very neat and tidy installation. I had issues with a couple of cords not being long enough but worked that out in short order.

i mounted my multistrips on the wall with drip loops to help keep them away from the water, but it looks like crap with wires just hanging out to the side behind the tank.

i was half considering doing a whole wall thing around the tank, but it's probably too late for that now. i would be very anxious trying to install an overhead section on a running tank. :)