PDA

View Full Version : Battling Dinos & Carbon Dosing

csauer52
11/05/2012, 07:06 AM
So, I'm taking an aggressive stance against dinos that have been plaguing my tank, I'm just getting sick of them and my SPS are visibly irritated by the strands hanging off their branches.

I'm planning on a multi front approach:
1) Higher pH
2) Changing Filter Media Frequently
3) Wet Skimming
4) Frequent Removal of Dinos

So, my question:

I've read some articles which state you should cease carbon dosing when battling dinos. Logic tells me you would want to continue dosing as this *should* help lower nutrient levels in the water column.

Thoughts?

Thanks....

dg3147
11/05/2012, 07:48 AM
You may want to try the method that i just experimented with for cyano. Here's the link:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2229534

csauer52
11/05/2012, 09:16 AM
That looks interesting and I may need to give that a go. Sure beats vacuuming all the time.. :)

Thoughts on dosing though?

b0bab0ey
11/05/2012, 10:26 AM
Have you tried 3-day lights out once a month, every month?

It didn't look like it was helping at first, but I kept doing it religiously every month. After a few months I could really see a difference, and after 6 months the dinos were completely gone.

tmerf11
11/05/2012, 10:39 AM
+1 on the lights out method. I was fighting it and losing and I actually had immediate success with my lights out. I went full darkness, which I think made a difference (for me anyway.) I did a lights out once for a few days but let ambient light into the tank and didn't see a huge difference. The next time I tried I wrapped the tank up pretty tight with cardboard and some towels to block out all light and I could see a difference right away after the initial 3 days.

b0bab0ey
11/05/2012, 11:05 AM
The next time I tried I wrapped the tank up pretty tight with cardboard and some towels to block out all light and I could see a difference right away after the initial 3 days.

Yup, I forgot to mention that part. Except I taped black garbage bags all around the outside glass to block all the ambient light out.

dg3147
11/05/2012, 04:52 PM
That looks interesting and I may need to give that a go. Sure beats vacuuming all the time.. :)

Thoughts on dosing though?

I think the nutrient export method with screening is a must try fot u. Now that the growth is irritating your sps...it's important to get it under control. It's a super safe thing to try and you can do it while trying everything else too.

Not sure carbon dosing is a great idea right now. Are you doing it?

csauer52
11/05/2012, 05:51 PM
Not sure carbon dosing is a great idea right now. Are you doing it?

I was but stopped. What I've noticed is that they grow like crazy under my halides but don't really do anything under the T5's. This has me wondering if the spectrum of my halides has something to do with it. I run 3 X 250w 10k's. Perhaps if I switch to 20's more towards the blue end of the spectrum the dinos wouldn't be able to use the light?

Thoughts on that?

dg3147
11/05/2012, 05:58 PM
I was but stopped. What I've noticed is that they grow like crazy under my halides but don;t really do anything under the T5's. This has me wondering of the spectrum of my halides has something to do with it. I run 3 X 250w 10k's. Perhaps if I switch to 20's more towards the blue end of the spectrum the dinos wouldn't be able to use the light?

Thoughts on that?

Seriously, try using the netting idea before u go crazy. I wiped out my invasive nastiness in about 3 days. U will know if it is working pretty quick. U can change bulbs at same time...it likely will not hurt.

I have heard of spectrum shift causing these problems, but I am not sure it has really been confirmed.

The only tried and try methods that have seemed to work are nutrient export / siphoning and lights out.

csauer52
11/05/2012, 06:26 PM
Ok, netting it is. I have to admit it doesn't look too difficult. Where can I get some?

dg3147
11/05/2012, 06:35 PM
Ok, netting it is. I have to admit it doesn't look too difficult. Where can I get some?

I used this stuff from BRS:
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/clear-netting.html

It costs about $15. U could get it expressed mail for another $15 and have your problem solved for the cost of a frag. Or, maybe it wont work. But it's a cheap easy solution that COULD work.

Take a couple square feet of the stuff, ball it up, and stick in a couple corners of your tank weighted down with a couple pieces of rock. U will get growth after about 2 hours. Rinse every couple hours and repeat for 2 days.

If you do this, please post results. It worked for my cyano...sort of curious if it can be duplicated in similar circumstances.

csauer52
11/05/2012, 06:46 PM
Thanks dg3147 - I will certainly let you know. Appreciate the tip!

TheFragHouse
11/05/2012, 08:58 PM
The 100% best cure for Dinos is Craigslist.

spollock818
11/05/2012, 09:39 PM
The 100% best cure for Dinos is Craigslist.

Of course. Why didn't we all think of that.