PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium stand and weight issue

the81ghost
11/05/2012, 06:32 PM
Hi I'm still an amateur to this hobby, started my marine tank 2 years ago.
and new to this forum thought it would be a good idea to put this thread to this category, since it's one of the first steps of having a tank.
I have a 20 gal tank been running on a TV stand for about 3 years.
First year was freshwater the last 2 years saltwater. Now I start to think what if the stand falls apart and my aquarium hits the floor. When I bought the tv stand it said max weight is 61 kgs. (135 pounds)
So 20 gal tank should be 75 kgs. (165 pounds)
TV stand has for legs and these legs carrying the weight. Lets say I have additional weight of 5 kgs coming from the hang on phosphate reactor and filter.
Total makes 80 kgs. (176 pounds). For 3 years nothing happened. My question is shall I buy a new aquarium stand in case of a disaster? I don't have much money at the moment right now. But I'm also anxious. Any thought is welcome. Any ideas are appreciated.
Thank you.

A New Guy
11/05/2012, 07:13 PM
A stand for that tank should be less then $50 for a steel one. Its your call, I myself wouldn't trust it. But I did have a 55 on my dresser for about 3 years and it was bowing so bad I had to lift the top to get the drawers closed.

sleepydoc
11/05/2012, 10:29 PM
Hard to say without knowing the construction of the stand. If you have doubts, it would be safest to get a real aquarium stand that's designed for the weight. As New Guy said, you can have slow warping. In time, it can eventually stress the tank and cause cracks or failed joints.

Biocubehqi
11/06/2012, 06:09 AM
That is Insain!! I wouldn't trust it, I understand you don't have money, welcome to America... Lol but really it will cost more money if your dresser breaks. Something's yo can't put a price on. I'd rather have it sit on the floor than elevated by a dresser....

the81ghost
11/07/2012, 04:22 PM
I just dont know how much i can force the limit of that tv stand.
61 kgs.. I think I'm going to upgrade the tank and also get a new
aquarium stand when i have some money. for now i will check everyday to make sure the tv stand is surviving. thanks for all of your replies.

Damien2818
11/07/2012, 04:48 PM
Why don't you just reforce the legs with 2x4 or something