PDA

View Full Version : Red Algae ID Help

Joe Blowfish
11/05/2012, 10:19 PM
I have this red algae (see pic) growing quickly on one of my larger pieces of live rock. It seems to self root as it grows across the rock. It's very difficult to pull out and I haven't been able to ID it on algae ID sites.

I bet a tang would take care of it in no time but my tank is only 3' so it's too small for a tang.

Does anyone recognize this algae? Any suggestions on how to remove it would be greatly appreciated!

Joe

mcdonous
11/07/2012, 07:51 PM
Sorry I don't recognize it but I'm not even close to being an ID expert.

I do know that more details help these other guys narrow it down. What size is it, there is no discernible reference in the pic. What is its texture? Firm? Soft? Brittle? Rubbery, ect.

My other question is why do you want to get rid of it? Is it causing you problems? Aesthetics? Fear of algae - I see this alot on here, people seem to panic and try to eradicate any type of algae that pops up.

I think the more diversity in the tank the better, but I probably have a more lenient attitude since my tanks are now algae dominated (mostly on purpose).

-Steve

Joe Blowfish
11/08/2012, 12:07 PM
Thanks Steve. Here's some more info:

The strands are about 2" in length. The texture is like plastic - it is flexible and very strong. I can pull it out and I feel it tear from the rock...I'm confident that I'm leaving enough behind that it will grow back.

I'd like to get rid of it purely on the basis of asthetics - it's tough to remove and grows quickly so I want to stop it from taking over my tank in 6-12 months.

Joe

OKDOHK
11/08/2012, 03:49 PM
I am no expert either. However, i am thinking "Gracilaria."

brandon429
11/08/2012, 03:51 PM
Thats amazing, never seen it.

I know exactly how to kill it though, better than manually removing portions that leave holdfasts in the rock to regrow, or casting the growth potentials around the tank

if you want to see a huge trove of algae cure pics go to nanos forum and look at all the pages of the huge thread "pico reef pest algae problem challenge"

Out of a thousand or so challenges, we've only been beaten by two or three so our cure ratio is dang high

I think I can beat this ? unknown rhodophyta you have as well
B

mcdonous
11/08/2012, 08:03 PM
While I haven't had to use the full method Brandon champions I have used the hydrogen peroxide to great effect on smaller rocks. It is by far my go to method of spot treatment. I have noticed it also tends to kill any amphipods on the rock though. Normally not a problem as their numbers will not likely be dented by the loss of a few.

-Steve