PDA

View Full Version : rookie mistake

Joon16
11/06/2012, 11:21 AM
I didnt QT a blue hippo tang and now he has Ich. Since my tank is now contaminated I know that removing all fish for about 8 weeks will remove the Ich. Now here comes part I couldn't find answers on. I started my tank with tap water and have since bought an RODI system and have been doing water changes with that. Since I'm already at the point where I will be removing the fish, I might as well swap out all the water. If i drain the tank and leave it for awhile will the Ich die or still live off the moisture in the sand/rocks? How long would this take if doing it this way would work? Would you guys recommend leaving it empty for awhile or should i just replace the water and wait the 8 weeks?

gone fishin
11/06/2012, 11:35 AM
I would do the swap out and still leave the tank fallow to be sure it is gone. I would not leave the rock dry for long you do not want to lose all your bacteria on the rock and sand. just my 2 cents

Pearson
11/06/2012, 11:37 AM
I would replace all the water, clean the rocks/sand, and probably hook up a UV sterilizer to try and help. Everything should clear up and be alright.

Honks69
11/06/2012, 11:40 AM
I would still leave it empty for 8 weeks while you qt your fish. Is it really worth the risk of having to do this again

good to see a new reefer in Pittsburgh.

I live 45 mins south of the city

klwheat
11/06/2012, 12:15 PM
Just drain and refill. No need to leave it sitting empty. Without the fish as a host, the ich will die even with the tank full of water. Also, many will argue for or against...but I prefer to keep a UV on mine as mentioned above. Good luck...and nice job recognizing the "rookie mistake" early.

Joon16
11/06/2012, 12:17 PM
Thanks guys. Hopefully all goes well with the fish and tank. Im gonna refill it and let it sit for 2 months. I was worried about a new cycle if I let the rock dry out and didnt want to have to go thru the cycle again.

@honks69 Good to know you're around the area. I might have to contract you out for some sump help once I go that route haha

EllieSuz
11/06/2012, 12:55 PM
The preferred waiting time is 72 days, which is ten weeks, not eight. As long as you're going to all this trouble, you might as well wait the optimum period. Better to be safe than sorry. Changing your water out to get rid of the last of the tap water is a great idea, but don't allow the rock to be out of water for very long.

Joon16
11/06/2012, 01:00 PM
The preferred waiting time is 72 days, which is ten weeks, not eight. As long as you're going to all this trouble, you might as well wait the optimum period. Better to be safe than sorry. Changing your water out to get rid of the last of the tap water is a great idea, but don't allow the rock to be out of water for very long.

I have no problem waiting the extra 2 weeks. There is no way I want to go through this again which is why I'm taking the steps to correct it now. The rock shouldnt be out of the water for more than 30 mins.

MondoBongo
11/06/2012, 01:09 PM
Thanks guys. Hopefully all goes well with the fish and tank. Im gonna refill it and let it sit for 2 months. I was worried about a new cycle if I let the rock dry out and didnt want to have to go thru the cycle again.

@honks69 Good to know you're around the area. I might have to contract you out for some sump help once I go that route haha

reefers in the 'burgh. that's what's up.

sorry to hear about your ich outbreak.

sleepydoc
11/06/2012, 06:16 PM
+1 on the 10 week fallow period.

No need to hook up a UV sterilizer - that will have minimal effect (other than on your pocket book.)

Desiccation wil kill the parasite, but you're unlikely to get the gravel dry enough to reliably kill it, and you would likely kill all the desirable flora, as mentioned above.