PDA

View Full Version : Reef Webcam’s

sjreefer
11/06/2012, 03:06 PM
While setting up a Polycom video conference system today at work I came across a test site which was a video setup pointing at an aquarium (great idea to use to test connectivity I thought!). This lead me to wondering if anyone has a webcam on their own tank that they dial into to check or look at. If so what type of hardware / software do you use for the link and is it public or private?

I thought it would be interesting to have a public one that anyone could dial into, assuming you could VLAN off the webcam so people wouldn’t have access direct access into your home network or have a web based server to stream the video.

laugh
11/06/2012, 05:42 PM
I just set one up. You can get a wireless IP camera with remote pan/tilt and built in web server for just under $50. Mine is private, I don't want just any wacko looking around my house.

goober35
11/06/2012, 07:54 PM
laugh. What kind of quality is the picture and who makes the cam. I would like to do an HD cam that i can access from my iphone

blackgate
11/06/2012, 08:28 PM
I too would like some more info on setting up an HD camera to use with my iPhone

laugh
11/06/2012, 08:44 PM
Well it's definitely not HD. It is however good enough for taking a peek at my tank while at work. For HD I'm pretty sure it would cost hundreds more. I got mine on Amazon, wansview is the maker but there are literally hundreds of clones of this type of camera and hunndreds of reviews as well. Most of the negative reviews on these cameras seem to stem from the person not being able to set it up due to poor instructions. If you have basic knowledge and are able to set up a home wi-fi network stting up the camera should be no problem.

kriv4o
11/06/2012, 11:31 PM
Can you provide a linknto the pan/tilt IP cam for under 50?
I use wireless Dlink cams. Have a total of 5, pointed at my tanks and dog room:)
The utilize the mydlink.com site and setting them up is very easy. The cams can also be viewed on most smartphones via the mydlink app. Video quality isn't great but for $55 a cam I can't really complain. The cams only have a 45 degree viewing angle which I fixed with a 3 bud iphone wide lence I got from eBay.
Hope that helps.

laugh
11/07/2012, 12:29 AM
This is the one I bought.
http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Internet-Surveillance-Microphone-monitoring/dp/B003LNZ1L6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352269637&sr=8-1&keywords=wireless+ip+camera
There are many more on Ebay and Amazon. Just do a search for wireless IP camera.

sjreefer
11/07/2012, 07:13 AM
I went with a trendnet product as it had the highest resolution of the IP based camera's available on Amazon (1280x800 close to 720p which is 1280x720).

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Megapixel-Wireless-Internet-TV-IP572WI/dp/B007FGH76W/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1352294032&sr=1-1&keywords=TV-IP572WI

I can't say too much on this product since i haven't received it yet but once i do i will post a link online so people can judge for themselves. It did come in a bit pricier then i would have preferred (since many non-HD cameras are available for under 70$) but i really wanted something with a high quality resolution.

aandfsoccr04
11/07/2012, 03:05 PM
so how would one go about setting up a camera to be viewed by their iphone at any time?

laugh
11/07/2012, 03:51 PM
An IP camera has a built in web server. You just hook it up to your home internet router and viola' you are showing your friends at the bar what your fish do while you're out drinking.

rrasco
11/07/2012, 04:22 PM
An IP camera has a built in web server. You just hook it up to your home internet router and viola' you are showing your friends at the bar what your fish do while you're out drinking.

While typically true, not all those web servers work well or at all on phones. You will typically have better luck using a cam viewer app, there are plenty out there. It will usually be faster too, doesn't have to load the whole page, just the camera feed, reducing required bandwidth; especially helpful when on 3G. IP Cam Viewer is a free one (ads) I use for my home surveillance. They typically work with multiple manufacturers.

Having said that, some phones work with the built-in web server.

JonnyD91
11/07/2012, 04:54 PM
Even better put it inside the tank:

http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero3-black-edition

or outside too, either way this has everything you need in one package.

rrasco
11/07/2012, 05:45 PM
Even better put it inside the tank:

http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero3-black-edition

or outside too, either way this has everything you need in one package.

I've wanted to do that for a long time, but it would have to be small so I could hide it.

JonnyD91
11/07/2012, 07:49 PM
I've wanted to do that for a long time, but it would have to be small so I could hide it.

They are pretty damn small. They look a lot bigger in the pictures. Even if you don't mount it inside you can mount it outside and then also have a nice camera for doing other things. It just suction cups to the tank.

o2manyfish
11/08/2012, 02:34 AM
I have both a Canon VB-10 and an Axis 214. Both are PTZ with high res - not High Def. The Canon is older. The Axis is more money, but it has automatic white balance so your tank and fish aren't all blue. The Axis also has 54x zoom.

The canon can be viewed at www.o2manyfish.com/camera.html

The axis is at 74.62.193.110

Both allow you to limit what the cameras view to the public.

Tank lights are on from 5pm to midnight PST

Dave B

sjreefer
11/08/2012, 06:38 AM
The axis 214 is a nice camera, we use it on remote security installs at work hooked up to NDVR's they certainly are pricey though, the optical zoom is a great feature to have (not completely necessary for the reef though but it is a nice touch!)

vitodog
11/08/2012, 07:39 AM
Apex had a web-cam over their display tank at this years MACNA. The web-cam looked like it was clipped on over the tank and gave you a view into the tank from above, anyone know what make/model this web-cam was?

rrasco
11/08/2012, 09:01 AM
Axis makes really good cameras, but they are indeed pricey. I have about 18 of them at work.

JonnyD91
11/08/2012, 10:31 AM
Axis makes really good cameras, but they are indeed pricey. I have about 18 of them at work.

Damn 1200 bucks, is that right?

rrasco
11/08/2012, 10:57 AM
The prices vary, but yes, that is about right. Ours ranged from $700 all the way up to about $3000 for a Q6032-E. We also have some 221, 223M, 209MFD, and of course the Q6032-E.

They are not really consumer grade equipment.

knight2255
11/08/2012, 12:02 PM
I went with a trendnet product as it had the highest resolution of the IP based camera's available on Amazon (1280x800 close to 720p which is 1280x720).

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Megapixel-Wireless-Internet-TV-IP572WI/dp/B007FGH76W/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1352294032&sr=1-1&keywords=TV-IP572WI

I can't say too much on this product since i haven't received it yet but once i do i will post a link online so people can judge for themselves. It did come in a bit pricier then i would have preferred (since many non-HD cameras are available for under 70$) but i really wanted something with a high quality resolution.

I believe the Dropcam has the edge on IP HD camera's as it has a 107 degree lense. I would be able to view my whole 6 foot long tank at only 26.5" away.

DaveMorris
11/08/2012, 06:05 PM
I have a Cisco and a Trendnet on my tank and I love them.

http://www.reeftronics.net/dave/reefcam-1

http://www.reeftronics.net/dave/reefcam-2

I think it would be cool to have one inside the tank. Maybe a camera head on an extension. I haven't been able to find one small enough yet. Or water proof. Maybe something like a gastroenterologist uses to look at your gut. That would be cool. :)