PDA

View Full Version : Will food coloring affect my tank/solutions?

dcforester1
11/06/2012, 10:53 PM
I finally did it. Know matter how clearly I have them marked, and no matter how many times I check I knew this was going to happen. I went to add Calcium to my tank, and luckily I was only adding 8oz, but the problem is that I put Alk in my tank instead of the calcium. See the problem is I have the solutions, Alk, Calc, and Mag in identical bottles, and mistakenly grabbed the wrong one.

I do not ever want to do this again. I raised my alk from 7.8 to 11.4 instantly, and I am hoping I dont lose anything. I am thinking if I added a couple drops of color to the solutions, maybe I wont do this again. Has anyone ever done this? I dont think it would have any effect on the color of the water, but not sure?

Any ideas?? Derek

Mekanic
11/06/2012, 11:02 PM
Could stain your sand or discolor some other things depending on concentration, but I doubt it would hut anything.

That said I'd use a sharpie and be done lol

dcforester1
11/06/2012, 11:08 PM
Could stain your sand or discolor some other things depending on concentration, but I doubt it would hut anything.

That said I'd use a sharpie and be done lol

OH I have them clearly marked. I was thinking very very light, just a tint. I have a reactor, so I dont use much, just to correct it once in awhile.

Mekanic
11/06/2012, 11:14 PM
For stuff like that I've always used nail polish on the caps

dcforester1
11/07/2012, 12:00 AM
Thats actually a good idea, maybe that will make it more visible.

bertoni
11/07/2012, 12:18 AM
There are some natural food dyes that likely would be safe if diluted enough. I'd try marking the caps or spray-painting the entire container first, though.