PDA

View Full Version : Repainting a stand.

gemini aquarius(t)
11/07/2012, 12:14 AM
I just bought a used tank and I want to change the paint. How should I go about that while keeping it looking nice? How much sanding is required? Just rough it up, or does the paint have to completely be off?

Thanks guys

straycat
11/07/2012, 10:06 AM
What is the stand made of?
If metal I would take it all the way down, if wood not so much...................

deepstar
11/07/2012, 10:26 AM
Whether it is wood or metal, I'd use some paint stripper and a good pair of rubber gloves. It will save you a lot of time. You will still have to do some sanding.

I used to do automotive paint so I'm quite well versed in the use of the proper grits of sandpaper to use on metal if you need any help with that. I usually google to determine what grits of sandpaper to use on various types of wood.

You have to be careful with soft woods like pine. You also have to be careful with laminates. I found this out the hard way. One of the stands I refinished had oak laminate on the doors but I was unaware that it was a laminate at the time and I burned through in some spots on the edges.

I just refinished two stands. Personally, I'd stain it and then throw a good coat or two of some marine urethane over it if it's wood. If it's metal, a good automotive finish would work very well but be a bit more costly.

I also just refinished my housing for my halides. It's made of cast aluminum so I had to use an etching primer first, then a base primer before the color coat. I used Krylon and was amazed at the finish I got out f a spray can. It's not quite automotive quality but it served my purposes.

I did spend some extra time wet sanding it with some fine sandpaper before the final top coat. It can make all the difference in the world if you want a really smooth finish.

gemini aquarius(t)
11/07/2012, 01:11 PM
It's wood, but I'm not sure what kind. I sanded the top layer off and made sure all the "shine" is gone from the existing paint, but the color is still there. I'm painting it black so I don't think there will be a problem with that.

So with the wood you don't think I have to sand it all the way down?

gemini aquarius(t)
11/07/2012, 01:11 PM
It's wood, but I'm not sure what kind. I sanded the top layer off and made sure all the "shine" is gone from the existing paint, but the color is still there. I'm painting it black so I don't think there will be a problem with that.

So with the wood you don't think I have to sand it all the way down?

PowerNap
11/07/2012, 01:19 PM
Scuff it and paint it. Just make sure it's clean when you start painting. When your all done apply about 3 or 4 coats of varnish to seal everything.

gemini aquarius(t)
11/07/2012, 02:21 PM
Okay thanks!