PDA

View Full Version : Adding dry rock to BC 14

sponger0
11/08/2012, 08:44 AM
I just recently downgraded to a Biocube 14. I kept some of the live rock and corals and a pair of clowns. Moved everything over. Everything seems to be doing good.

But the just isnt enough rock in it for me. The other pieces of live rock I had were just to big to even go in the tank.

I picked up some dry rock, similar to marco or BRS pukani. I was wondering what would be the effect of adding this to the tank. Currently the rock is sitting in a bucket with live sand and a heater. Would it be best to just leave it in there for a month or am I safe to just add it to my tank without fear of some kind of cycle?

EasyEd77
11/08/2012, 09:25 AM
If it were me, I would keep your new rock in the bucket with the live sand and heater until there is no longer a cycle in the bucket. It wouldn't hurt to run GFO, dry rock is notorious for leaching phosphate. On top of that I would do 50% water changes in the bucket every week. Also, test for phosphates and when you are satisfied with the numbers add one piece of rock every week or two until you are satisfied. If you go slow, I think you will be fine.

sponger0
11/08/2012, 09:28 AM
That was pretty much my thought. Ive never added dry rock to a tank that was already running. I was going to leave it like it is for 2 weeks then add a light to get some color on the rock too. And leave the light on for 2 weeks and then move it over.

Mcluett
11/08/2012, 12:07 PM
If it were me, I would keep your new rock in the bucket with the live sand and heater until there is no longer a cycle in the bucket. It wouldn't hurt to run GFO, dry rock is notorious for leaching phosphate. On top of that I would do 50% water changes in the bucket every week. Also, test for phosphates and when you are satisfied with the numbers add one piece of rock every week or two until you are satisfied. If you go slow, I think you will be fine.

Would you recommend this if someone was only using dry rock and sand?

brandon429
11/08/2012, 12:32 PM
it will be fully harmless to add the rock now without a wait. You arent increasing bioload, nor removing any, so the rock sans bacteria is inert. It won't matter to the system. When it seeds with bacteria, it still won't matter, you could turn right around and instantly remove it without changing bioload and it still won't register any change you can measure.

EasyEd77
11/08/2012, 04:51 PM
it will be fully harmless to add the rock now without a wait. You arent increasing bioload, nor removing any, so the rock sans bacteria is inert. It won't matter to the system. When it seeds with bacteria, it still won't matter, you could turn right around and instantly remove it without changing bioload and it still won't register any change you can measure.

Its not the bioload that I would worry about but the phosphate. I would do this curing with dry rock regardless if I was just starting or adding more to a system. I wish I did this process in my own tank. I did not and as a result I battled HA for the first 6 months. I am almost 100% the dry rock was the source.

brandon429
11/08/2012, 05:26 PM
How did soaking it in water help the po4 i may have missed something

brandon429
11/08/2012, 05:27 PM
Oh i see you mentioned gfo that's a good call.