PDA

View Full Version : Anyone done a phidgets based controller build?

iced98lx
11/08/2012, 01:24 PM
I've got a Sheeva Plug (Marvell Plug COmputer 1.0) development kit just laying here, and I'm eyeing up Phidgets.com and contemplating building a java based controller one module at a time. Anyone embarked on this?

Thanks!

Chris

Screener
11/08/2012, 03:02 PM
I've got a Sheeva Plug (Marvell Plug COmputer 1.0) development kit just laying here, and I'm eyeing up Phidgets.com and contemplating building a java based controller one module at a time. Anyone embarked on this?

Thanks!

Chris

Chris, I'm also thinking about doing this. I have a Phidgets single board computer that I would like maybe to use as a I2C controller for a DIY led current controller /dimmer Janne's). I have used Phidgets boards in my lab for controlling instruments sensors and steppers. We modified the code for the embedded web server to add additional tabs to the embedded/native web site in the SBC for our own functions and we control steppers etc through the SBC dictionary keys. Our SBC runs as a standalone and can be controlled also through commands from a Automation Scheduler (Overlord from PAA). I m experimenting with sharing its USB ports through ethernet so that I can plug in remote USB devices close to the tank. I dont want to have a PC in the fish room. I have a pH /ORP board and one of the circular capacitance input devices, -- just to check out. I wonder if the PWM DC motor controllers could be used directly to dim a 0-10V controller such as the Meanwells? Let me know if you have tested any of these Ideas. :thumbsup:

iced98lx
11/08/2012, 04:51 PM
Screener-

I've not bought any components yet but besides the PWM for stepper motors they sell an 'analog' out plate that does 0-10v which most LED drivers can be used with. it appears to have everything I need, 20-50A relays, etc. But I am a little un-informed on the temp probes (thermocouples) they look like overkill temp range wise, and are all metal ended. I tossed in about $300 worth of parts and thought I had a workable system if the thermocouples worked properly. Perhaps there is a better solution for temp measuring out there, as well.

The programming side looks great, the tools they provide are good. I'm a C# dev but would write this project in JAVA as I wouldn't want a windows machine running my tank, but wouldn't want to restrict someone else from that. I see the network stuff mentioned briefly, but frankly my system will be near the tank (not a problem for me) so it doesn't concern me greatly.

Neogenocide
11/08/2012, 09:19 PM
I personally wouldn't trust Java to run my reef tank. I've had way too many system that interact with Java in one way or another, and java always seems to be the problem.

iced98lx
11/08/2012, 10:59 PM
I personally wouldn't trust Java to run my reef tank. I've had way too many system that interact with Java in one way or another, and java always seems to be the problem.

Heh. Well, a lot of people wouldn't trust any computer to do that, so...

java > mono C# > python for me, but perhaps I just haven't looked at Mono lately so I still have a bad taste in my mouth from 2008. I'd prefer C# but truthfully JAVA can be very stable in these situations, code quality does a lot.

Screener
11/13/2012, 03:37 PM

java > mono C# > python for me, but perhaps I just haven't looked at Mono lately so I still have a bad taste in my mouth from 2008. I'd prefer C# but truthfully JAVA can be very stable in these situations, code quality does a lot.

The base code for the Phidgits SBC is C. Running debian. You could write the SBC code in C# if you wanted as there is support I believe. Java is similar syntax-tically, might not be a problem for you. We tried to load apache but in the end went to modifying the SBC's internal servers pages to add our own functionality.

Screener
11/13/2012, 03:38 PM

The base code for the Phidgits SBC is C. Running debian. You could write the SBC code in C# if you wanted as there is support I believe. Java is similar syntax-tically, might not be a problem for you. We tried to load apache but in the end went to modifying the SBC's internal servers pages to add our own functionality.

Oh yes, thanks, I see the analog out phidgets.

iced98lx
01/01/2013, 04:03 PM
Ended up going with Netduino, C# on a microcontroller!