PDA

View Full Version : Prestone Driveway Heat - Precipitate?

RichardinMa
11/09/2012, 09:50 AM
I have started using Randy's 2-part, Recipe #1. For the calcium portion I am using Prestone Driveway Heat and mixed 2 cups into 1 gallon of RODI. A few days after mixing I noticed a pale pink/grey precipitate on the bottom of the container and some floating on the top. Is this typical? Any issues from it?

HighlandReefer
11/09/2012, 12:17 PM
Most likely calcium carbonate precipitating. It is like a very fine reef sand, which is harmless. Most likely would be skimmed out if added to the tank. Some may settle in low flow areas. ;)

disc1
11/09/2012, 01:23 PM
The pink color kind of concerns me. Calcium carbonate should be white or slightly greyish.

That's why I buy the good stuff. The extra twenty or thirty bucks a year isn't too bad for the added peace of mind.

trinity1012
11/09/2012, 01:31 PM
The pink color kind of concerns me. Calcium carbonate should be white or slightly greyish.

That's why I buy the good stuff. The extra twenty or thirty bucks a year isn't too bad for the added peace of mind.

deff not worth the risk. ill stick with the all mighty B.R.S. 2 part.
its proven..

RichardinMa
11/09/2012, 09:09 PM
It's more grey than pink, and that may be more an artifact of the container it is mixed in. I remixed a new batch to see what happens. I have heard good things about other people using the Driveway Heat for a long time and assumed it would be safe. I am dosing over 400 gallons of tanks so hoped this less expensive alternative would work. I am not seeing any ill efects on the corals and my Acros have some amazing PE. I just wondered if this was a normal thing to happen with the mix.

OregonReefer2
11/09/2012, 09:52 PM
I've been using it and haven't seen what you're experiencing. However I only mix 1 cup to a gallon.