PDA

View Full Version : GSP from ebay

AkumaZeto
11/09/2012, 03:24 PM
paid 15 bucks for some gsp off ebay figured i would give it a shot. Box arrived 5 days later and all thats on the frag disc is a white matte. Little stinky but nothing i would really talk about. Question is what do these things look like when normally shipped. Is the white matte the base or is it just dead?

stiltman
11/09/2012, 03:29 PM
Some people like it. I personally think it's a weed. It can take over your tank if your not careful. If you put it in your tank it may revive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Dapg8gt
11/09/2012, 03:30 PM
GSP should have a purple mat with spike like growths on it. And when they open up its like little green hands kinda.. Google image it. Guessing that it is prob dead after a 5 day ride. Ask for a refund. I would think it should have been overnighted to you. I would try to post a thread to local to you RC members that you want to buy some frags. Most of the time you don't have to gamble and te a better price. Def ask for a refund

Fishbulb2
11/09/2012, 03:31 PM
It does not sound good. Typically, I would expect all corals that arrive in the mail to arrive closed up. So you should see no polyps open and just the base of the coral. In the case of gsp, that is usually something like a purple mat with what might look like small tube holes that the coral polyps have retracted into. It should open within a couple days of being introduced into the aquarium or it is likely dead. White matter sounds really bad. Five days is also a really long time for a coral to be in shipping and I wouldn't have much hope for it unfortunately. You could post a picture of it, but likely it's a goner.

FB

AkumaZeto
11/09/2012, 04:09 PM
This is the ad

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251176965411?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

jwoyshnar
11/09/2012, 04:09 PM
I would say its dead. White isn't good

Khemul
11/09/2012, 04:48 PM
Give it some time. It may not be dead. GSP is a common name. It gets applied to just about any coral that looks similar. Even some that are easy to tell apart from GSP get given the common name out of laziness.

A white mat isn't unheard of. It could just be one of those similar corals that got given the same common name (or mistaken given the common name).

Personally I find that when GSP (or similar corals) die the mat doesn't change color. It just starts decomposing. The polyps are the ones that would bleach. The mat is just the skin of the colony.

AkumaZeto
11/09/2012, 04:54 PM
pic

TL1000RSquid
11/10/2012, 02:12 PM
I bought a couple items from that seller back in August they shipped it out regular first class USPS, no cold packs, everything was DOA, got a refund from the seller atleast.

Dexters Reef
11/10/2012, 06:07 PM
I bought zoos, and GSP from that seller a few months ago. Everything arrived alive and opened up within a few days. My GSP started small but has since expanded to the whole disk.

GSP is very finicky, but also very hardy. If I move it sometimes it takes days to reopen. Sometimes it stays closed for a few days for no reason. I don't know if yours is dead or not, but can say I have had good experiences with that seller.

Here's a pic of it today, and some other corals I got from him at the same time

GSP (middle)

Yellow dragon eyes and fire / ice zoas

godsdoc
11/11/2012, 06:54 PM
I wouldn't give up on the gsp, they are hard to get rid of but anything is possible.

accordsirh22
11/11/2012, 08:14 PM
that pic you posted looks nothing remotely even close to what my gsp have looked like. doesnt even look like there is anything on there to me

Seanthefish
11/12/2012, 11:42 AM
Typically a purple mat, although i have seen it with a white mat as well. like others have said do not give up on it yet. I have seen this stuff come back from what i presumed was death after months... good luck!

AkumaZeto
11/12/2012, 10:12 PM
I bought zoos, and GSP from that seller a few months ago. Everything arrived alive and opened up within a few days. My GSP started small but has since expanded to the whole disk.

GSP is very finicky, but also very hardy. If I move it sometimes it takes days to reopen. Sometimes it stays closed for a few days for no reason. I don't know if yours is dead or not, but can say I have had good experiences with that seller.

Here's a pic of it today, and some other corals I got from him at the same time

GSP (middle)

Yellow dragon eyes and fire / ice zoas

what color was the mat?

Dexters Reef
11/13/2012, 11:54 AM
My mat at first was a very pale greyish purple, and now is a darker purple.

Mine did start off the same size as yours, but it didnt look like that. Yours looks like a chalice frag almost.

Has it gotten any better?

leveldrummer
11/13/2012, 12:29 PM
i would ask for a refund.

AkumaZeto
11/13/2012, 05:41 PM
It has bumps all over it and a few holes

rgauvin
11/14/2012, 10:09 AM
4 days later, if it hasn't opened, it's most likely dead... Updates?

docbattysreef
11/15/2012, 08:45 AM
Looks dead. Definitely try for a refund. This is an extremely hardy coral though so leave the frag alone and there's a good chance it will come back.

OKCchief
11/15/2012, 10:37 AM
I'm never seen GSP matte/base turn white. With the shipping conditions you described, I wouldn't say it's not possible. The picture looks like there is no coral remnants at all though. Was there any loose pieces in the bag? It is possible the GSP detached off the plug during shipping. I've had that happen a few times. Act fast, because your window of opertunity to get refund is usually limited.

AkumaZeto
11/18/2012, 08:36 PM
Got a refund 2 days later it started shooting up polyps so i paid the guy his money back :)

shifty51008
11/19/2012, 05:32 AM
Got a refund 2 days later it started shooting up polyps so i paid the guy his money back :)

very honest, nice job.

and just wait, in a little while you will be hopeing they were dead when they over run your tank :D but they do look very nice.

amond003
11/21/2012, 05:56 PM
Looks dead. It should be a purple mat