PDA

View Full Version : It's my fault, please help

swizton
11/09/2012, 04:57 PM
I tried updating to the new BETA firmware, apex was hardwired to router, mac was not.

Started the firmware update fine, then stopped (sorry didn't screen cap) and now I cant get the apex to update.

I tried running the flash utility, then powering up the apex so it would "see" the flash utility but it has not worked (tried it atleast 10 times)...

Any ideas

Thanks in advance

Wall_Tank
11/09/2012, 06:09 PM
I assume that you are hardwired now. I would also disable your wireless network on your mac. Just to be sure.

swizton
11/09/2012, 06:14 PM
Yeah, I have tried everything I know, and some things support sent me.
Im at a loss here....

And support wont call me back...

swizton
11/09/2012, 06:24 PM
and just like that it decides to work.....

I abandoned the method support sent me and decided to just try the mac flash (switched to a pc to try and fix) and just like that it worked!!!!

I know I should have done it right the first time, but it would be nice for things to work they way they were supposed to the first time...

kenargo
11/09/2012, 06:26 PM
The uploader has what is called bootload mode; it is a method that it can use to talk to the Apex when the Apex's firmware is corrupted (as may be the case by the upload stopping mid run as you describe).

In order to update the firmware in this mode you would start the uploader and start the upload; it should start counting connection failures. When you see that happening you power cycle the Apex; when the Apex starts it will flash the LED (this is boot loader mode) and the uploader should fund the Apex and upload the firmware.

I am making an assumption about the Mac uploader (I was not involved so much in the development of it). The PC uploader has the ability I mentioned built-in and it can be run on the Mac, it just takes more work.

Report back.

swizton
11/09/2012, 06:50 PM
The uploader has what is called bootload mode; it is a method that it can use to talk to the Apex when the Apex's firmware is corrupted (as may be the case by the upload stopping mid run as you describe).

In order to update the firmware in this mode you would start the uploader and start the upload; it should start counting connection failures. When you see that happening you power cycle the Apex; when the Apex starts it will flash the LED (this is boot loader mode) and the uploader should fund the Apex and upload the firmware.

I am making an assumption about the Mac uploader (I was not involved so much in the development of it). The PC uploader has the ability I mentioned built-in and it can be run on the Mac, it just takes more work.

Report back.

I understand......i did try power cycling the apex but the uploader was not finding the apex, with either the mac or the pc flash utility. I made sure everything was hard wired, wireless turned off, etc. Thats why it was frustrating because I have done this before (yes im an idiot) and fixed it no problem the last time.

So I went from using the mac flash, to the windows flash, to a safe mode windows flash, back to mac. And when I went back to using the mac flash utility (just like I had in the beginning) it worked the first time. I didn't even have to power cycle the apex, flash utility found it right away. Really weird.

I did notice that when I first tried fixing my screwup the apex controller did not flash amber, it would flash 3 times then go dark. Maybe that had something to do with it??? I just left it unplugged for 15 to 20 minutes. Then started the process over again. Finally it worked!!

bazineta
11/10/2012, 12:35 PM

The Mac updater has the same recovery feature as the Windows version.