PDA

View Full Version : Di resin shot after only 2 weeks

koll12
11/10/2012, 12:21 AM
I just ordered Dinresin and it's already coloring changing and indicating that it needs to be changed soon . Is there any sort of explanation on why this would happen ??

shifty51008
11/10/2012, 12:35 AM
color changeing IMO is worthless, the resion can still go for a while after the change, the only real way to know when it needs changed is with a TDS meter.

what brand RODI filter do you have?
what is the water pressure going into the membrane?
what are the TDS readings on:
Tap, RO (before DI), and after DI

Buckeye Hydro
11/10/2012, 05:59 AM
Color changing resin IMO is great - it gives you a rough indication of when the DI stage needs to be replaced. When the DI exhausts quickly, its an indication your RO is delivering "dirty" water to the DI. Shifty hit on the right place to start:
1. What is the water pressure going into the membrane?
2. What are the TDS readings of a) Tap water, b) RO water (before DI), and c) DI water

If you don't have a pressure gauge or a TDS meter, now you know why you need them!

Russ

pszemol
11/10/2012, 06:26 AM
I just ordered Dinresin and it's already coloring changing and indicating that it needs to be changed soon . Is there any sort of explanation on why this would happen ??

If your RO membrane is producting water dirtier than normally than DI resin will be used up more quickly.

I would check the water quality leaving the RO membrane and entering your DI cartridge. At this point in my system I have TDS at a level of less than 10mg/l.

ggrillo
11/10/2012, 06:44 AM
The color of mine changed quick as well, but have gotten over a months use afterwards at 1-2 TDS. Well water coming in is about 300-400TDS and PSI varies from 45-60. From the RO membrane it's usually around 9-12TDS and DI takes it to 1 or 2 (sometimes 0 when I have good pressure)

Buckeye Hydro
11/10/2012, 07:24 AM
The TDS of the RO water significantly affects the life span of the DI. Other factors may be at play as well (e.g., CO2, chloramines).

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd293/BuckeyeFS/DIresinlifeatvariousrejectionrates.jpg

marty9876
11/10/2012, 08:34 AM
Buckeye, interesting chart. Can you please give me your thoughts on this: I've got well water with unknown tds input, 1-2 ppm after the membrane at 60 psi constant ( upgraded the well pump with a controller) and I get about 200-250g out of a di fill before it creeps up from 0 to 1 basically matching the membrane output.

I've suspected high co content of the source water as fresh salt mixes mix up lower on the ph scale plus I set off my co2 detectors at time. Classic example was first night I had my skimmer running the co2 dectors went off.

How can I test for high co2 in source water? What would I do about it anyways? Skip using di resin?
Thanks

Buckeye Hydro
11/10/2012, 09:21 AM
Buckeye, interesting chart. Can you please give me your thoughts on this: I've got well water with unknown tds input, 1-2 ppm after the membrane at 60 psi constant ( upgraded the well pump with a controller) and I get about 200-250g out of a di fill before it creeps up from 0 to 1 basically matching the membrane output.

I've suspected high co content of the source water as fresh salt mixes mix up lower on the ph scale plus I set off my co2 detectors at time. Classic example was first night I had my skimmer running the co2 dectors went off.

How can I test for high co2 in source water? What would I do about it anyways? Skip using di resin?
Thanks

If you measure the alkalinity and the pH of your RO water I can calculate the co2 for you.

Russ

cap032
11/10/2012, 08:53 PM
That chart makes me wonder about a recent di resin purchase. I get about 2-3 tds going into the di resin yet I only got about 400 gallons of 0 tds water before tds hit 1. This at about 67psi on my local city water.

sasharotty
11/10/2012, 09:14 PM
Ive been having an issue as well. This di cartridge has around 500 gallons ran through it. Its color changing and its completley turned color but as of this morning still producing 0 tds. I've had 2 tds going into the cartridge but last week crept up to 3. According to your chart i should be getting another roughly 1000 gallons and thats just not the case. I also burned up the last cartridge in about 600 gallons through it. What would cause this?

shifty51008
11/11/2012, 02:43 AM
high levels of co2 will cause the DI to burn up faster.

Reefnut2010
11/11/2012, 03:00 AM
My 100 gpd RODI needs 80 psi to operate properly. I thought they were all similar ! Would like to add a tds meter.I take it this is pretty simple to do?

Buckeye Hydro
11/11/2012, 03:10 AM
There's no installation at all if you get a handheld meter.

An inline meter will take you all of about 3 minutes to install.

Russ

pszemol
11/11/2012, 07:11 AM
high levels of co2 will cause the DI to burn up faster.

What would you consider low/high levels (in ppm/l)?
Where would CO2 come from in the intake tap water?
If so, wouldn't it be removed by RO membrane anyway?

allsps40
11/11/2012, 08:40 AM
I personally have found the BRS DI resin is exhausted really fast. SpectraPure is the longest lasting I have used.

Buckeye Hydro
11/11/2012, 08:42 AM
ANY level of CO2 would cause you to go through DI resin faster than if you didn't have any CO2.

CO2 is a dissolved gas and goes right through the membrane.

Tater11
11/11/2012, 08:47 AM
I personally have found the BRS DI resin is exhausted really fast. SpectraPure is the longest lasting I have used.
i agree with this 100% my brs di the color changing kind is done in about 1-2months.

pszemol
11/11/2012, 09:00 AM
ANY level of CO2 would cause you to go through DI resin faster than if you didn't have any CO2.

CO2 is a dissolved gas and goes right through the membrane.

This is interesting. Only having to deal with municipal tap water I was not aware of this problem. Thanks!

There is an interesting FAQ touching in details on this subject here:
http://www.spectrapure.com/faq_p0.htm

cap032
11/11/2012, 09:19 AM

Ive been using brs as well. The original resin that came pre installed lasted about twice as long as the replacements have. I honestly dont get it. Which specific SpectraPure resin have you been used and how much longer has it been lasting?

allsps40
11/11/2012, 09:58 AM
Dont think it is anything special the owner of SpetraPure gave me a DI cartridge for free to try out and compare to what I have been using. I think it was the Color Indicating Mixed Bed Cartridge. It lasted a twice as long as BRS. My BRS only lasts about a month and that is when my RO membrane was brand new and putting out 8 tds now it is getting old and putting out 20 tds so the BRS DI resin goes even faster.