PDA

View Full Version : Small "Higher End" Media Reactor Options

Patrick Cox
11/10/2012, 06:37 AM
I need two media reactors for my new build, one for GAC and one for GFO. I have been running two TLF Phosban 150s on my current tank but I feel like they are a little flimsy and the internal components don't really last. So, I wanted to consider other brands. The problem I have is that I am space limited in my cabinet (imagine that!) The reactors need to either hang off of the front of my sump or be placed in front of the sump at the bottom of the stand. And I only have about 4 1/4" of floor space across the front of the sump. So, are there any "higher end" media reactor options that will fit in a 4" floor space?

Thanks!

PSBoston
11/10/2012, 08:18 AM
I have had the same issue, I had a hard time finding a skinny one that was quality and not too tall. I almost pulled the trigger on a reef octopus one brs that looking like it has a small footprint...still may.

I'm current using the next reef shorty and it is very nice, but wide some have to hang it in my fuge. It works fine just not optimal for space.

Patrick Cox
11/10/2012, 08:58 AM
I have had the same issue, I had a hard time finding a skinny one that was quality and not too tall. I almost pulled the trigger on a reef octopus one brs that looking like it has a small footprint...still may.

I'm current using the next reef shorty and it is very nice, but wide some have to hang it in my fuge. It works fine just not optimal for space.

Do you know if you can use GFO in the Reef Octopus reactors?

madean
11/10/2012, 10:05 AM
Try contacting avast marine. They make media reactors and if I remember correctly they can fabricate one for you to fit a specific dimension.

PSBoston
11/10/2012, 07:25 PM
I assume so, it says media reactor but don't know for sure. We may have to email them to make sure.

Patrick Cox
11/10/2012, 07:30 PM
I assume so, it says media reactor but don't know for sure. We may have to email them to make sure.

I posted in the CoralVue forum but have not heard back yet. I actually think the holes might be too large for GFO but not sure. Thanks.

Chinch Bug
11/10/2012, 11:13 PM
I have a reef octopus that i use with gfo and gac. The slots at bottom are large and i needed to put a plastic screen over it that stops media from getting to bottom. But it works great and is definitely more solidly built than my tlf reactors

rkesling
11/11/2012, 12:36 AM
http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/product/youbuilt/MR-5-Kit

moondoggy4
11/11/2012, 12:16 PM
Geo makes a smaller one also. Also look into the Aqua Maxx lone

r-balljunkie
11/12/2012, 12:59 AM
I have been running two TLF Phosban 150s on my current tank but I feel like they are a little flimsy and the internal components don't really last.

Thanks!

what internal components are you talking about...the sponge? these last for literally years...if you want to buy something "new", by all means but end of the day, TLF reactors are work horses in the industry.

im a bit biased, I've owned several TLF reactors and I've never had one break on me regretted every time I sold one.

like others mentioned Avast makes a reactor at 3x the price of a TLF. im not much on the BRS reactors. they work, but IMO are too hard to work on.

gl

c

fortress
11/18/2012, 06:31 AM
I had hoped to grow enough Chaeto to prevent a need for any reactors. I now see a need to assist the biologic filtration with nitrite and phosphate removal. Is there a gold standard? Either in manufacture or type? Space not really an issue and I want to buy the most effective product once.