PDA

View Full Version : Ceiling Mounted ip camera for 6 foot tank

bradam
11/10/2012, 10:33 AM
Anyone have a ceiling mounted ip based camera on thier tank? If so which one and hows good does the tank look? Trying to decide which one to buy but the vast differences in price and style are mind boggling heh

BeanAnimal
11/10/2012, 10:57 AM
Are you looking for a fixed camera or PTZ?

I have used a lot of cameras over the years, but at this point the only options we offer our customers are the samsung fixed IP domes and the Axis PTZ stuff.

Sony has some hit or miss products, as does JVC, etc. I would stay away from the no-name stuff, as most of it is garbage. Stay away from anything that is proprietary with regard to software and try to stick with cameras that offer ONVIF support. Be aware, that many ONVIF cameras WILL NOT work through a NAT firewall (depending on software).

How do you intend to view, via web browser, dedicated software, etc? This is an important question and something you will need to consider if you wnat mobile phone support, etc.

You may find (depending on your needs and type of lighting) that none of the cameras are capable of dealing exceptionaly well with the intense peaks of the actinic light no matter how you tweak the white balance.

My prefered fixed IP dome is the Samsung SND-7080, about $700

bradam
11/10/2012, 12:15 PM
Not really to concerned about ptz, I would like to be able to manually adjust it if possible to where the best field of view is.

Mainly to view remotely via the web, which I'm assuming would work as well on the web browser on my phone.

I've wanted one for a while, but the new dashboard for the apex has a built in tile for a camera so that kinda of pushed me into researching cameras.

I've got AI Sol blue led lights, not sure how those differ from antic lights when you use a camera as I've never played with one.

DaveMorris
11/10/2012, 12:29 PM
Here is what mine looks like:

http://www.reeftronics.net/dave/reefcam-1

It is a Cisco WVC210 and I think I paid about $200 for it. I would like to get something that puts out a nice 720p image but most of them are too pricey for me right now. I have been relatively happy with the Cisco.

bradam
11/10/2012, 12:33 PM
Here is what mine looks like:

http://www.reeftronics.net/dave/reefcam-1

It is a Cisco WVC210 and I think I paid about $200 for it. I would like to get something that puts out a nice 720p image but most of them are too pricey for me right now. I have been relatively happy with the Cisco.

How far away from your tank is that mounted? Is ceiling mounted?

and most importantly where are the fish! :D

DaveMorris
11/10/2012, 03:13 PM
The camera is ceiling mounted and is approx. 7' from the front of the tank. My tank is 8'L x 2'W x 30" tall just for reference. The tank has only been up for a couple months so I am taking my time adding fish. Currently there is one Naso tang and six chromis in there.

insomniac2k2
11/10/2012, 09:08 PM
Foscam just put out a 720p x264 camera. I believe it was selling for $160