PDA

View Full Version : Help with Slime Algae Breakout

ssick92
11/11/2012, 06:48 PM
Hey everyone,

What is this algae and how do I get rid of it for good?

So the past few days I have been fighting some sort of slime algae. I don't believe it is cyano but I'm sure someone here knows better. The algae started growing shortly after I vacuumed my sump and scraped my backwall for the first time.

I have siphoned it all out during a couple water changes, but it grows back almost instantly. The algae is gone in the morning after the lights being off all night, but once again it grows back almost instantly. It is starting to cover some of my corals which is not allowing them to fully open up.

Today I ordered a BRS GFO/Carbon Reactor and some media. I am going to run a GFO/Carbon mix to try to pull any excess nutrients out of the water. I believe I am still being haunted by the mistake of using tap water during intial setup. I have always use RO/DI water for water changes and top offs, but I believe I am still seeing phosphates from this initial setup. The tank is 1 year old, and has always had some sort of algae even though most of it is only on 1 rock. My hope is that by running this reactor it will pull the remaining phosphates out of the rock/water. Since there is no other source for phosphates I hope I will be able to stop running the reactor and have a phosphate/nitrate free environment.

On the positive side, I have seen a huge growth spurt out of all my corals recently. Each of my zoa colonies has sprouted at least 5 new polyps, and my chalice has started to form another ring of polyps too.

My parameters are as follows:
Temp - 78
Salinity - 1.026
Calc - 425
Alk - 9.6
Mg - 1250
pH - 8.2
Phosphate - Test reads 0 but obviously isnt
Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate - 0

Here are some photos of my nuissance slime algae:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-dIG66d_DyFk/UKBAuRcmZOI/AAAAAAAAAoY/Y_-VFKwY9JI/s1177/Slime+Algae.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-z2Y0QvQ1_f4/UKBAuxF2-wI/AAAAAAAAAog/2gSAF7dCZO0/s1543/Slime+Algae+2.jpg

sail33
11/11/2012, 08:11 PM
this is the best I can offer you. http://www.wetwebmedia.com/bluegralgae.htm

Most algae, IMHO are fed by phosphates and nitrates. If you find the source, you'll be able to attack it. Usually over feeding. I just installed an algae turf scrubber. It forces the algae to grow where you want it and where you can eliminate it. If you look up the thread on "algae scrubber basics" , you'll find out how to do it.
Best of luck
cheers

James77
11/11/2012, 08:16 PM
What is your flow like in your tank?

bambam918
11/11/2012, 08:31 PM
Dino's. I am guessing you are using RODI water that is reading 000 TDS. Water plays a big role in Dino's along with over feeding. Use a phosphate reactor, make sure water is 000 TDS, continue to hand remove during WC, and you may want to increase your WC amount. Also make sure you have plenty of water flow and I forget if you mentioned it but if you don't have a skimmer, invest in a good one that is over rated for you tank. 50 gallons over rated will suffice

ssick92
11/11/2012, 08:36 PM
What is your flow like in your tank?

My flow consists of a Koralia 750gph and a Koralia 550gph in a small 30 gallon tank so I believe I have enough flow.

Dino's. I am guessing you are using RODI water that is reading 000 TDS. Water plays a big role in Dino's along with over feeding. Use a phosphate reactor, make sure water is 000 TDS, continue to hand remove during WC, and you may want to increase your WC amount. Also make sure you have plenty of water flow and I forget if you mentioned it but if you don't have a skimmer, invest in a good one that is over rated for you tank. 50 gallons over rated will suffice

Yes I have a skimmer, however it is one of those cheapy Coralife 65 skimmers. Doesn't do a very good job...

I don't have a TDS meter so I'm not sure if it is totally 000 TDS, but it is just a standard RO/DI system with relatively new filters.