PDA

View Full Version : Gyro effect with 2 MP60's on a 450g?

Spar
11/12/2012, 08:48 AM
I see that a lot of people are going with the gyro effect on their tanks using their MP's now. I have a 450g tank that is 8 x 3 x 2.5 (96x36x30) in size, and I have 2 MP60's.

Would I have more success with putting the 2 MP60's on the same corner as each other (one on top of the other, spaced a few inches) to double up the power of the gyro push? The flow would always go one direction but would/should be extremely strong.

Or am I better off putting them on opposing corners to continue the swirl?

Any other ideas to optimally set them up for the gyro flow?

EcoTech Marine
11/12/2012, 09:05 AM
If you only wish for the gyre to go in one direction, then placing them on opposite corners will be the best way to accomplish this.

Our 350gal display tank, before Sandy took it out completely :(, measured 72x36x30, so nearly identical to your tank but two feet shorter. We used two MP60's with one on the right, one on the left, both toward the back wall exactly opposing one another. Only would 60 would go on at a time and they would alternate every 20 minutes. This worked to accomplish a gyre perfectly. All of our rockwork was in the middle of the tank so there was a clear avenue for water to circulate around the rock.

For your 8' tank, you may wish to add two more 60's or even two 40's. Put the 60's like we had our 60's, then use the two MP40's toward the front of the tank so that each group has one MP40 and one MP60. This should work extremely well and you would only ever have one MP60 and one MP40 running at the same time.

Spar
11/12/2012, 10:18 AM
Would you turn the MP60's completely off or would you just turn them to 0 (which is really 50% power?)?

Is the only downside to having the gyre go in one direction that there isn't enough randomization for the coral, etc? Deadspots maybe also?

Thanks for your help!

EcoTech Marine
11/12/2012, 11:12 AM
I would turn the pumps that aren't being used to create the gyre completely off. You can do this by setting the feed mode speed to zero within the ecosmart settings. The feed mode speed doubles as the min speed achieved during long-pulse mode and lets you customize this mode a bit further than usual. It's a little work-around but it works well.

You should definitely have the gyre switch directions to prevent the accumulation of detritus and to more closely mimic a natural environment.

Spar
11/12/2012, 01:05 PM
I use an Apex controller; would I just put: If Time X to Y Then OFF ?

[I think I misread your original email when I typed this, but regardless will make sure :) ]I would have to put the MP's on the sides of the tank rather than front and back based on the in-wall setup I have, but would I still get a gyre effect if I point the MP60's going the length of the setup instead (e.g. pointing down the 8' length)?

I might add in MP40's for the continuation of the flow.

Also, with the Apex I don't see an option for "Long-Pulse". What is the recommended setting for me to replicate what you mean, especially given the 8' length?

Thanks again!

EcoTech Marine
11/12/2012, 02:36 PM
For a gyre the pumps HAVE to be on the side of the tank, not on the back wall.

I am not familiar with programming an apex unit, you'd have to speak with Neptune for this.

20 min on max, 20 min off, alternating.

Spar
11/12/2012, 03:46 PM
Oh ok, so it isnt a Pulse setting where I set it for 10 seconds or so. Just a flat out leave-it-on max for that time? Guess it wouldn't hurt to have a few speed changes in the period.

EcoTech Marine
11/12/2012, 04:07 PM
Correct, it is just flat out at max speed. Technically you shouldn't adjust the speed during the on period or else it will reduce the efficiency of the gyre. There will be plenty of turbulence in between the direction changes when the other side first switches on and fights against the momentum of the gyre.