PDA

View Full Version : Use wave maker during cycle?

slajiness
11/12/2012, 09:39 AM
I am about to start up my first tank but cant seem to find if I should use the wave makers during the cycle. From what I have read the lights should stay off correct?

jmowbray
11/12/2012, 10:47 AM
A wave maker would have no influence on a cycle. All you are doing during a cycle is building up the beneficial bacteria in the system so that when you add fish the amount of waste doesn't overwhelm the bacteria.

Just for example a non cycled tank with 5 bacterial cells helping to convert NH4 in a 200 gallon tank with 4 tangs. These 5 cells are going to have to work overtime to convert all the waste. This lag time allows the NH4 to rise which in turn will burn the fishes gills and lead to possible death. Now a 200 gallon cycled tank with >5 billion bacterial cells being feed "artificial NH4" via dead shrimp, liquid NH4. When you add the fish you might see a slight blip on Ammonia but not much as the bacteria are ready for it.

Light can stay on if you would like. The only issue you might have is with algae. When converting Ammonium the following takes place: NH4->NO2->NO3. When the ammonium spikes during the cycle this is also followed by spikes in the Nitrate and Nitrites as well. Algae when provided with enough light and NO2 and NO3 can thrive scary fast. Lights aren't necessary to the cycle but an hour or two a day can't hurt and can help get the coraline growing just watch out for the hair, bubble,etc.

a.browning
11/12/2012, 10:59 AM
May as well use the wavemaker from the start! Certainly can't do any harm. Also, nothing wrong with using lights during the cycle.