PDA

View Full Version : Leads on where to buy Blue Ring Octopus

Seanthefish
11/12/2012, 12:34 PM
Been looking for one for years... could never find a place to purchase or special order. Any ideas>

I know the dangers, care, life cycle etc. I am not interested in posts containing this nature.

trinity1012
11/12/2012, 03:18 PM
i believe they are illegal to buy,own or posses,i had a friend looking to get one also.

ziyaadb
11/12/2012, 04:05 PM
u are brave my good man

FTDelta
11/12/2012, 07:52 PM
That's asking for a deathwish. I don't care how much you know; there's no such thing as being careful. All it takes is once and you're totally screwed. Don't bother finding one due to their dangerous tendencies.

mtaquarist
11/13/2012, 02:49 AM
I don't know if people are actually going to try to help you get one of these. Sorry.

trinity1012
11/13/2012, 11:32 AM
u cant get one,even if u had an exotic pet license u still cant get one,they are illegal.

get a tattoo of it instead:lmao:

leveldrummer
11/13/2012, 12:31 PM
Just curious why you would want one? they look like any other brown octopus, they only get blue rings when highly ****ed.

might as well get a gaboon viper too.

Gonodactylus
11/13/2012, 06:26 PM
It is not illegal for commercial importers to bring blue-rings in to the US provided they have proper collecting and export permits. Nor is it illegal for importers to sell them to retail operations or for LFS to sell them to you. I don't recommend keeping them because of the obvious risks, because they are fairly boring, and because they usually are collected as adults and only live in the aquarium a few weeks at most. For example, I received a shipment of 4 animals a couple of weeks ago. Within two days the two females laid eggs and are now on their way out.

ROy

trinity1012
11/13/2012, 07:23 PM
It is not illegal for commercial importers to bring blue-rings in to the US provided they have proper collecting and export permits. Nor is it illegal for importers to sell them to retail operations or for LFS to sell them to you. I don't recommend keeping them because of the obvious risks, because they are fairly boring, and because they usually are collected as adults and only live in the aquarium a few weeks at most. For example, I received a shipment of 4 animals a couple of weeks ago. Within two days the two females laid eggs and are now on their way out.

ROy

after further review i am wrong.amazing u can actually get those.

Seanthefish
11/14/2012, 09:08 AM
I think gaboon vipers are interesting animals and would probably own one if I felt it were something I could enjoy. People cynicism of dangerous animals is often misplaced. It does not act nor look like a brown octopus , plus they stay much smaller for the Eco type I am planning on.

Pm sent to Gonodactylus

FTDelta
11/14/2012, 11:45 AM
Cynical about owning dangerous animals being misplaced? No, it's knowing that these highly toxic and dangerous animals are best left alone.

nepenthes99
11/14/2012, 12:37 PM
Do whatever you want but just be careful. One can only take this hobby so far. My recommendation is that if it threatens your life dont get it. BTW they are known to climb out of tanks as all octopi are.

Seanthefish
11/15/2012, 10:50 AM
Thank you for the concern and I agree that it is extremely important to handle this animals with the utmost care and concern.

MadReefer1
11/15/2012, 10:02 PM
There was a store in boca raton florida called the barrier reef. they used to carry them yrs ago on a regular basis. i was told my lfs has or had one but i havnt made it there yet.

Gonodactylus
11/16/2012, 11:51 AM
Most LFS's recognize the danger and potential liability of displaying blue-rings and don't order them. However, the blue-rings are almost always on wholesale species availability lists and any LSF that wants to can order them, usually for $20-30 each. The best way to get one is to work with the store owner, convince them that you are serious and know what you are doing, and that you are a good customer. With time at least some owners will order them for you.

ROy

Aeolius
12/08/2012, 08:51 AM
I think I'd rather have a giant pacific octopus...
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzpdq6STKv1qm9k25o1_500.jpg
.. for the hugs. :)

bjensen1253
12/23/2012, 02:31 AM
My LFS here in Kansas City carries them regularly. they normally keep them in a critter cage with a HUGE rock on top to keep them from escaping.

grcforce327
12/23/2012, 08:28 AM
I suggest that some of you stay away from the deadly automobile!:rolleye1:

As for the gaboon viper,I would get the rhino viper too!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDct9zUuGBw

trinity1012
12/23/2012, 05:01 PM

sweet,thats awesome

sucker_fish
12/25/2012, 08:20 PM
+1 for staying away from automobiles, I hear those things kill tons of people each year.

Flippers4pups
12/26/2012, 01:04 AM
All I can say is "why"?!

LeLutinBanni
12/27/2012, 01:02 PM
0,000001% to get bite

FTDelta
12/27/2012, 11:18 PM
Wondered if he got his blue ringed octo yet.

achillsohales
12/27/2012, 11:23 PM
Blue rings can be obtained however I was talking to buddy in california who owns a mimic a couple weeks ago and said that supposidly there was a case where someone died from one. I guess when there small you csn feel the bite or something and their poison kills in 30 minutes or so? Not sure if its true but thats what I heard.

gpx1200
12/28/2012, 08:05 AM
0,000001% to get bite
i'm curious to know wear you get this(probably made up) statistic.
their is a post on tonmo called octopus bites and allmost everyone on that site that has kept more than one octo and interacts with them has been bitten at least once thats a little more than 0,000001%
i'm not telling the op to buy a blue ring or not i'm just sick of peapole posting misinformation based on hearsay or imagination, between mantis shrimp and octos their is enuf bogus info floating around the internet to fill an encyclopeida set.
but i will add that one of the coolest parts of owning an octo is the interaction like hand feeding and other forms of contact that would be a very bad idea with a blue ring for this reason i would recomend an a. aculeatus, o. briareus or o. hummelinki
i have 2 aculeatus now and plan to get a briareus next. i have not been bitten..yet

mkbtank
12/28/2012, 08:22 AM

That is awesome!

gpx1200
12/28/2012, 08:44 AM
that pic makes me wonder... is she trying to put the octo back or is he trying to pull her in?

LeLutinBanni
12/28/2012, 12:38 PM
their is a post on tonmo called octopus bites and allmost everyone on that site that has kept more than one octo and interacts with them has been bitten at least once thats a little more than 0,000001%
i'm not telling the op to buy a blue ring or not i'm just sick of peapole posting misinformation based on hearsay or imagination, between mantis shrimp and octos their is enuf bogus info floating around the internet to fill an encyclopeida set.
but i will add that one of the coolest parts of owning an octo is the interaction like hand feeding and other forms of contact that would be a very bad idea with a blue ring for this reason i would recomend an a. aculeatus, o. briareus or o. hummelinki
i have 2 aculeatus now and plan to get a briareus next. i have not been bitten..yet

First, you dont interact with a blue ring the same way you do with a briareus.

SantaMonica
02/04/2013, 06:40 PM
And I was thinking a viper was an octo :)

GSMguy
02/04/2013, 06:44 PM
Just get a cobra or a mamba at a herp show.

mthomp
02/21/2013, 08:53 PM

I guess because you dont interact with a blue ring like you would other octopuse

Mangodude
03/01/2013, 10:49 PM
still looking for one?

Caronte
03/05/2013, 10:19 AM
Mine past away a year ago... Main problem with them is that they're short living. I am looking for another one too

SoLiD
03/09/2013, 03:55 PM
Looking for another one??? Hence your avatar... lol

biecacka
03/23/2013, 08:12 PM
:lol: :lol:@solid....Yes that avatar is VERY fitting
Corey

thelizardkin
04/11/2013, 02:51 PM
There are exotic snake owners who keep very deadly venomous snakes and your chances if being bitten by one of those is probably a lot higher than being bitten by a blue ring

SoLiD
04/11/2013, 03:37 PM
I'm not arguing with you biecacka... There are many different levels of "CRAZY". :spin2:

thelizardkin
04/13/2013, 01:03 PM
If you do get one I'd build a custom acrylic tank with a sump, and make sure there's a grate to keep the octo from going down the plumbing. also I'd add a lid with a lock on it. secure all the rock so there are no rockslides, and buy a good pair of tongs for feeding. never ever put your hand in the tank. I was also thinking you could connect a smaller tank to the main tank, and train the octo to eat in tank #2. so if you ever need to do work on the tank just trap the octo in the other tank. also put some warning labels on it

Fishypapa
05/29/2013, 07:52 AM
Simple google search:

"The blue-ringed octopus, despite its small size, carries enough venom to kill 26 adult humans within minutes. Furthermore, their bites are tiny and often painless, with many victims not realizing they have been envenomated until respiratory depression and paralysis start to set in."

From HERE (http://web.archive.org/web/20061205092145/http://www.barrierreefaustralia.com/the-great-barrier-reef/blueringedoctopus.htm)

I don't quite understand why people wish to have these animals aside from the thrill and bragging rights that they OWN it. (that is at least for the few minutes after they get bitten, then they find out who owns who! :thumbdown

Iowafisher
06/24/2013, 08:16 AM
http://petesfishplace.com/pages/Invertebrates/Octopus%27s?previous_url_id=9

xrayjeeper83
06/24/2013, 08:59 AM
Gaboons are boring, they just lay there and puff.

Monocled cobras on the other hand are cool as hell and really interesting to handle.

As for the blue ring, I think I'd be more afraid of it getting out and getting me, my kid, or my dog, then any snake getting me

SOCOMMike
06/28/2013, 07:20 AM
People keep venomous animals for the thrill, and probably because most venomous creatures are extremely colorful -- being a first warning in the wild for other animals that think of them as lunch, and of course humans love shiny things. We can all die at any moment. He's an adult, and if he is willing to take the risk, so be it. Now, if he's 16, that's a different story.

SOCOMMike
06/28/2013, 07:23 AM
P.S. If he does get bit: Darwin Award.

Fishypapa
06/28/2013, 11:51 AM
P.S. If he does get bit: Darwin Award.

:ape: I bet a chimp would know better than to mess with one.

FTDelta
07/03/2013, 06:53 AM
People keep venomous animals for the thrill, and probably because most venomous creatures are extremely colorful -- being a first warning in the wild for other animals that think of them as lunch, and of course humans love shiny things. We can all die at any moment. He's an adult, and if he is willing to take the risk, so be it. Now, if he's 16, that's a different story.

The same goes to those who wish to keep big cats. Curious question though. I know you need a special license to legally own big cats but what about venomous snakes?

xrayjeeper83
07/03/2013, 09:49 AM
Yes you need a licence to own venomous animals.

In Florida it takes 1000 hours hours of handling with a already licensed handler to get your licence

Noxious
09/01/2013, 02:01 AM
I kept one many years ago in my late teens.

I was visiting rottnest island (off the coast of western australia/perth) on a mates boat, and we were going through some rock pools checking out whatever life we could find on low tide. We were collecting a couple shells and putting them in the pocket of my board shorts. When I was standing on the beach talking to my mate his face changed and said "man, what is that?" a small octopus had squirmed its way out of the tiny drain hole of my shorts! I quickly grabbed a water bottle and sucked up the little occy... My heart sank and started racing at the same time (strange feeling) when I realized a small blue ringed octopus had just squeezed its way out of my shorts!

I took that little occy home and kept him/her for the next ~18months in a makeshift water container/enclosure. Not my smartest move and not something I would recommend to anyone! Was a remarkably easy animal to care for for the most part. Very beautiful, and not at all shy contrary to what most people will have you believe.

I think the vast majority who seek to keep this animal to it for the wow factor, and for the attention. It is not a bright move. It is easy to minimize the risk, but the wow factor is not potentially worth your life IMO/IME.

Wilrok
12/06/2013, 09:11 AM
How big do they get ?