PDA

View Full Version : Tank Temp

chrystyan20011
11/12/2012, 06:06 PM
Just curious of something i have ran reef tanks in the past at 78-79F but my 110g reef stays at a pretty stable 81-82F and everything is growing like mad is that a safe temp or should i lower it also what is the highest safe temp for a sps reef

Mussin
11/12/2012, 07:37 PM
My tank ranges from 78-82. My corals love it.

James77
11/12/2012, 07:57 PM
Just curious of something i have ran reef tanks in the past at 78-79F but my 110g reef stays at a pretty stable 81-82F and everything is growing like mad is that a safe temp or should i lower it also what is the highest safe temp for a sps reef

There is not a set high point where things automatically die, it is more the animals tolerance for large swings. If you have a tank that is rock solid at 78 degrees have a heater fail and spike the temp to say 85, there is a good chance of some losses. But a tank that swings daily from 78-84 would be able to tolerate 88. My winter temp is pretty stable at 78-80 due to the colder weather. In the summer, I let the tank swing wherever it wants temperature wise. The highest it went last year was about 88.....I was a bit nervouse, but I've never seen the animals look happier. I have read many accounts of tanks that are used to large fluctuation hit 90-92 with no problems at all.

Not neccesarily the best practice te be in temps that high, but it just shows that its what the animals are used to. 81-82 is a perfectly safe temperature.

awcamp
11/12/2012, 08:14 PM
You will likely find over time that certain specific corals are more sensitive to the higher temperature. For example, I believe there are a couple different types of xenia that will begin melting at 82 degrees. You can always seek to keep things in the tank that are not as temperature sensitive but my guess is that you will find the most success by lowering it a couple of degrees. The other thing is that it gives you a little more of a cushion going up or down if there is some sort of malfunction. I had a heater malfunction once where it just began to heat non stop. I walked by the tank and noticed that everything looked a little wilted and was able to save 90% of what I had by catching it in time at around 87 degrees (it couldn't have lasted like that for long). Having that extra couple of degrees as a buffer between whats optimal and whats dangerous, hot or cold, adds a little more security. Best of luck

cloak
11/12/2012, 08:35 PM
My tanks have always varied between 76-85 throughout the year. One side of the spectrum in the summer, the other in winter. No problem. (mixed reef)

aandfsoccr04
11/12/2012, 08:36 PM
My tank temp varies from 76-82

sleepydoc
11/12/2012, 08:50 PM
Oxygen solubility goes down as temp goes up, so the higher temp will reduce the amount of oxygen available. Whether this is significant or not depends on your stocking levels & types of fish.

Almondsaz
11/12/2012, 09:23 PM
My experience is that my tanks do well when they are between 77 and 78 degrees and I control the temp so that there isn't more than 1 degree fluctuation during the day. This is the way I was instructed on keeping a reef tank. There are lots of different experiences to draw from though. Also, it depends what you are keeping if higher temps are the norm or lower is better. Before adding anything it is always best to understand the necessary husbandry so that the additions will all handle the same relative environment.

cloak
11/12/2012, 09:28 PM
Have you ever seen sps corals at low tide? Me neither, only in books though... As long as the temp doesn't fluctuate to quick in a short amount of time, your golden. These corals are a lot more durable than one might think... JMO.

Riffraffreef
11/27/2012, 03:08 PM
While diving in the cayman islands, I have seen all types of corals thriving in 82 degree water. This may seem warm to those of you keeping tanks at 78 but consider that I have also seen all types of coral thriving on man-made reefs, on the west coast of florida, where the temps reach 92 degrees in mid summer. Someone in this thread mentioned tanks having large swings doing the best when it comes to temp spikes, and I agree. Keeping a tank at a very precise temp can hurt you in the long run. "Letting things be" is hard for some of us but best for nature in the end. Watch temps with caution but intervene only when absolutely necessary.

hossa81
11/27/2012, 04:34 PM
my reef stays at around eighty, but my fowlr is around 75

bnumair
11/27/2012, 05:32 PM
my tank remains pretty steady at 78.5F with the help of 1.5hp commercial chiller and 1200w titanium heaters.