PDA

View Full Version : overflow questions

LightForce
11/12/2012, 06:31 PM
i finally found my tank it`s a 450 with 2 corner overflows strainers are on the side not a surface skimmer strainers.
Sump will be 75G 8 foot lower in basement, I`m planning 2 1.5" Durso drilled at the bottom or back wall drains. I also plan to install powerheads inside the overflows for more water movement in tank area.
I did try and search and read the posts about various types of drain system but overflows have side strainers not top. Please share your opinions what would be the best Durso or others for this type of tank. Thanks
http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b626/StealthRC/2012-11-12180146.jpg

meegwell
11/12/2012, 08:30 PM
I cant comment on the overflows themselves because i dont have any knowledge of a non-surface skimming oriented system. I use a bean animal. As far as your thought about putting a powerhead in the overflow, that might defeat the purpose of the overflow if I understand you correctly. The powerheads will push water out of the overflow through those side strainers.

You said you "found" your tank. If you have not yet committed to purchasing it you mit want to do some more search on what you want. If you bought your tank, i dont think you should consider putting powerheads in the overflows.

LightForce
11/12/2012, 08:51 PM
I wanted to drill the holes on sides of overflow for powerhead outputs, so it will actually suck water in thru the side strainers additionally to sump pump flow.
I have 20Y exp. with freshwater tanks , this is saltwater setup So I`m just throwing out checking some ideas if they work or not before I actually drill the bottom or back or overflows. Tank is already at my place and there is atleast 2 months before I`m done with floor support for 3 tons, plumbing Etc.
So far i need all the info I can get , I hope that will be enough plus several months of researching and going thru the posts to start my build. Thanks.