PDA

View Full Version : Just need some advice on corals touching

Tinpanva
11/13/2012, 07:29 AM
I bought a yuma and some pink panthers from a fellow in our local club, he was kind enough to mount them both on a chunk of rubble and gave it to me as one frag. The rubble is about fist sized and new its been a few months and these two corals are starting to touch each other. There's no major chemical warfare going on, but the zoas are quite irritated. The one yuma has now become 5, with the largest one a solid 2" across. Zoas are spreading like weeds, so what should I do? I actually "puttied" the rock in place, not sure if that was a good idea or not, but I was going to try and remove the rock and try to split it into two, no luck. I've never frag'd anything and I'm a little nervous going at it for the first time. Should I just let them grow and let nature do its thing? If I have to frag, which one should I choose? Can it be done underwater? If I 'must' bust the rock out anyway, I assume the best option would be to still split the rock, yes? :debi:

FishNutty
11/18/2012, 01:30 PM
I've never had yumas or rics, I tried one and it died, so I don't know a lot about them, but here's my two cents.
I'd say frag the zoas. I've done it quite often, it's really easy and they do very well with it, usually open back up within hours. Get a straight razor and just slide it as close to the rock as you can. If you do it in-tank, make sure you turn all the flow off, have plenty of light and keep a little ziplock container with some water to put them in for safe keeping. The only issue would be keeping up with the polyps once they are off the rocks and making sure they don't float away.
After they're off, just pat them dry a little on some paper towel and glue them to a frag disk or new rock. I use Aleene's Jewelry and Metal glue, it's the same formula as super glue gel and the net cost is cheaper. You can use it underwater directly in the tank, or dry. The saltwater expedites the curing process, so if you do it out of the tank, just stick it in as soon as you have the polyps one and it'll cement them into place. Wear gloves or you'll have glue insta-cured all over your hands(and boy, is it hard to get off :P)