PDA

View Full Version : Converting the 0-10v signal from an APEX to a PWM signal

dwolson2
11/13/2012, 02:46 PM
I am trying to convert the 0-10v signal from an APEX to a PWM signal to run some LDD drivers. Does anyone know what would be necessary to accomplish it? I would like to build the circuit myself if possible.

Also, I know Steve’s LED's has a convertor, but only for 4 channels (and for 45$)
I also know I could use an Adrino to run my lights, but I would really like to utilize my apex.

barjam
11/13/2012, 03:03 PM
I am trying to convert the 0-10v signal from an APEX to a PWM signal to run some LDD drivers. Does anyone know what would be necessary to accomplish it? I would like to build the circuit myself if possible.

Also, I know Steve’s LED's has a convertor, but only for 4 channels (and for 45$)
I also know I could use an Adrino to run my lights, but I would really like to utilize my apex.

Sounds like you could rig up a cheap arduino board to do that with a little bit of software. I don't recall how many analog inputs they generally have or how many outputs. So a 5v wall wart, Arduino, and a hobby box and you are done. Overkill for sure though. Maybe you could use this to augment other Apex functionality.

dwolson2
11/13/2012, 06:02 PM
The manual says:
Microcontroller ATmega2560
Operating Voltage 5V
Input Voltage (recommended) 7-12V
Input Voltage (limits) 6-20V
Digital I/O Pins 54 (of which 15 provide PWM output)
Analog Input Pins 16
DC Current per I/O Pin 40 mA
DC Current for 3.3V Pin 50 mA
Flash Memory 256 KB of which 8 KB used by bootloader
SRAM 8 KB
EEPROM 4 KB
Clock Speed 16 MHz

"Input Voltage (recommended) 7-12V /Input Voltage (limits) 6-20V "
So can it take in the 0-10v?

screamingibis
11/13/2012, 10:24 PM
There's a thread in RC where a couple guys made it work. Try the search function.

mcgyvr
11/14/2012, 06:18 AM
http://shop.stevesleds.com/Aquarium-Controller-Interface-Harness-for-Steves-LEDs-Drivers-harness.htm

dwolson2
11/14/2012, 08:30 AM
http://shop.stevesleds.com/Aquarium-Controller-Interface-Harness-for-Steves-LEDs-Drivers-harness.htm
That was the second thing I pised in the OP. I was looking to DIY my own.

There's a thread in RC where a couple guys made it work. Try the search function.

I've tried, if you know where it is, post it up.

Jamesjkl
11/14/2012, 11:14 AM
The manual says:
Microcontroller ATmega2560
Operating Voltage 5V
Input Voltage (recommended) 7-12V
Input Voltage (limits) 6-20V
Digital I/O Pins 54 (of which 15 provide PWM output)
Analog Input Pins 16
DC Current per I/O Pin 40 mA
DC Current for 3.3V Pin 50 mA

"Input Voltage (recommended) 7-12V /Input Voltage (limits) 6-20V "
So can it take in the 0-10v?

The voltage that is being talked about here is the power supply not the dimmer you are going to be reading the voltage 0-10 with a input pin like a thermometer or such

mcgyvr
11/14/2012, 11:29 AM
I'm sure there are some PWM control IC's out there that could accomplish this without having to resort to a micro.. Too busy to look now.

Try googling "voltage controlled PWM modulator" or generator..

d0ughb0y
11/14/2012, 11:41 AM
you can get an arduino pro mini for like $10 on ebay. use a resistor voltage divider to half the input voltage and connect to one of the analog pins, then you just need a program to do an analog read, and then do an analog write to a digital pin designated as PWM. the digital pin output will be PWM, but 5 v. if you need it to be 10v PWM, then you can simply feed that to an OP amp. this can easily handle 4 channels for about $10. (plus cost of power supply to the arduino)

dwolson2
11/14/2012, 12:40 PM
The voltage that is being talked about here is the power supply not the dimmer you are going to be reading the voltage 0-10 with a input pin like a thermometer or such
Ok, but can those inputs take in 10v?(quoted below that they only can take 5, but want to know if you have a different experience)
I'm sure there are some PWM control IC's out there that could accomplish this without having to resort to a micro.. Too busy to look now.

Try googling "voltage controlled PWM modulator" or generator..
I will look into this, but it appears as if I may be going with an adrino now.

you can get an arduino pro mini for like $10 on ebay. use a resistor voltage divider to half the input voltage and connect to one of the analog pins, then you just need a program to do an analog read, and then do an analog write to a digital pin designated as PWM. the digital pin output will be PWM, but 5 v. if you need it to be 10v PWM, then you can simply feed that to an OP amp. this can easily handle 4 channels for about $10. (plus cost of power supply to the arduino)
Do i need to add the resisto voltage divider if I only send out 5v max from my apex? Is it more of a failsafe incase the apex sends out 10v(someone pushes the on for the VSP) or is it for controlability*or both.
The drivers I am planning on using have the following specs:
2.5 ~ 6VDC and 100 ~ 1KHz

After looking at the adrino, I am thinking of going big, with the Mega2560, then adding a touch screen so I can play with it as well(going to more than likely use the jardino code) Was thinking of making it the redundant controller for my apex. So I would add PH and temp probes. If an out of range condition existed, have the adrino email me(through a wireless card) Why have 2 controllers, in case one of the controllers froze, I would still be ok. I also thought about*although not sure if I can/how* having the adrino close a circuit going to the apex if there was an out of range condition(so if the temp was too high(and the temp probe on my apex went out) it would close a switch on my break out box, alerting the apex to power off the lights/heaters/etc.

d0ughb0y
11/14/2012, 01:06 PM
I say start small and simple. solve the pwm problem first.
you will need to use voltage divider even if your apex output is 5v only. because that represents 50%. if you do not divide, then 5v becomes 100%. arduino pwm frequency is 500hz, so it will work for what you need.
building a full blown controller is not trivial.

dwolson2
11/14/2012, 01:15 PM
I say start small and simple. solve the pwm problem first.
you will need to use voltage divider even if your apex output is 5v only. because that represents 50%. if you do not divide, then 5v becomes 100%. arduino pwm frequency is 500hz, so it will work for what you need.
building a full blown controller is not trivial.

I don't expect it to be. Its just a future plan(which is why I plan on getting the larger adrino from the get go)

I looked more into it, and I will need a voltage divider for sure. I'm not too worried about it, but I do like to keep the circuits as simple as possible(I say that but plan on running 2 controllers... yea I know)

mcgyvr
11/14/2012, 01:16 PM
discrete solution that should work.. I glanced it quickly
http://pcbheaven.com/circuitpages/Voltage_Controlled_PWM_Generator/

Or if you already plan to use an arduino its trivial to use the resistor divider to an analog input and use that to control a PWM output pin controlling a mosfet/transistor with a 10V supply.

frogg21
03/14/2013, 12:39 AM
"Also, I know Steve’s LED's has a convertor, but only for 4 channels (and for 45$)
I also know I could use an Adrino to run my lights, but I would really like to utilize my apex. "
I'm in the same boat

Here's the function http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/AnalogInOutSerial
the benefit of buying your own arduino is you're not limited to 4 channels.. (and its cheaper)

I'm not getting why it's necessary to use a resistor to reduce the signal in half from the Apex, why can't you just set up your Apex to max out at half intensity which would be 5 volts? Then just read that value from one pin and write it to a pwm pin with the 'map' function above..?

from the Apex manual:
RAMP PROFILE TYPE
The Ramp Profile is used to ramp the port output voltage (up or down) from one
intensity to another over a period of time. It is typically used to ramp lights on of
off but can also be used with pumps to simu
late varying intensity of tidal currents
for example.
Ramp Time:
period in minutes over which the ramp should occur.
Start Intensity:
the starting intensity in percent
End Intensity:
the ending intensity in percent We just keep this under 5 volts, aka 50%

dwolson2
03/14/2013, 12:32 PM
If you accidentally turned it on, or the APEX were to screw up and go over 50%, you could fry the APEX or the arduino or both.

kriv4o
05/11/2013, 09:52 AM
Has anybody used Steve's convertor with LDD drivers? I contacted them and the answer I got is that the MeanWell LDDs have inverted PWM signal(not really sure what that means) and that their convertor can not be used with those drivers. Any info and/or link greatly appreciated.
P.S I tried the search function but this is the only thread I got.

O2Surplus
05/11/2013, 11:22 AM
Has anybody used Steve's convertor with LDD drivers? I contacted them and the answer I got is that the MeanWell LDDs have inverted PWM signal(not really sure what that means) and that their convertor can not be used with those drivers. Any info and/or link greatly appreciated.
P.S I tried the search function but this is the only thread I got.

Somebody at SteveLeds doesn't know what they're talking about. The MeanWell LDD does not use an inverted PWM signal. "Frogg21" and I are working on a 10V Analog/ 5V PWM convertor for the APEX right now and will post the plans and software for it, just as soon as we're done. Here's a photo of the convertor that we've created. The cost should be less than $20 for anyone that wants to build one for themselves.
http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab172/kovawa/IMG_2189_zps0cc0ebdb.jpg

kriv4o
05/11/2013, 11:28 AM
Finally some good news. Keep us posted.
Officially adding this in the projects pile:)
Would your converter be useable with ReefKeeper controllers?

O2Surplus
05/11/2013, 11:45 AM
Finally some good news. Keep us posted.
Officially adding this in the projects pile:)
Would your converter be useable with ReefKeeper controllers?

I'm not sure? It's designed to be compatible with any lighting controller than outputs a 10 Volt analog control signal- if that answers your question?

kriv4o
05/11/2013, 11:50 AM
It does kinda lol. I guess there is only one way to figure that one out.......

dwolson2
05/13/2013, 08:08 AM
That is a bit of a teaser picture you know....

ToTaLCHaoS13
05/13/2013, 03:12 PM
Tagging along...!

ToTaLCHaoS13
05/13/2013, 03:22 PM
Just found this...

LCM-60DA - 60W Multiple-Stage Output Current LED Power Supply by Meanwell

No idea when it will be available to purchase but looks promising.

skydancer
08/15/2013, 12:41 AM
Somebody at SteveLeds doesn't know what they're talking about. The MeanWell LDD does not use an inverted PWM signal. "Frogg21" and I are working on a 10V Analog/ 5V PWM convertor for the APEX right now and will post the plans and software for it, just as soon as we're done. Here's a photo of the convertor that we've created. The cost should be less than $20 for anyone that wants to build one for themselves.
Any more updates? Does the board support multiple channels? Looks like it does 4, is that true?

O2Surplus
08/15/2013, 06:58 AM
Any more updates? Does the board support multiple channels? Looks like it does 4, is that true?

Yep- 4 channels. I've built and released about 16 of these little convertors to users here and on other Forums, and from what I've heard, they work quite well.

skydancer
08/16/2013, 05:50 AM
Yep- 4 channels. I've built and released about 16 of these little convertors to users here and on other Forums, and from what I've heard, they work quite well.

O2, sorry for the slow reply. I've been reading the other Meanwell thread that you and rasco put together for the Arduino and am learning a lot... So before I ask what I originally wanted to find out from you, I wanted to finish reading. Problem is, I started 2 days ago and I'm only on page 49. Have 30 pages to go and I'll be back...:dance:
I have an Apex and I'm very interested in the 0-10v to PWM board that you put together!!!

Lepers
09/27/2013, 01:06 AM
Hi,
I plan to replace my Meanwell drivers forest (ELN and LPC) by ldd drivers and I have an apex.

O2Surplus, have you one of yours convertors to sell ?

PS : I live in France

cdness
09/27/2013, 10:50 AM
This is what I am looking for as well... Looking forward to more info when it is available.

d0ughb0y
09/27/2013, 11:24 AM
I see they used my resistor divider idea :) you can see from the pcb trace the junction of two resistors going into pins ADC0-ADC3.

you can build this for much less now. (my last comment, the price for an arduino mini was $10, now its $3.68!!). If you have a spare USB charger (everyone has at least one of these laying around the house right?), you can use that to power the circuit.

arduino mini + 2 resistors per channel, and simple arduino code (analog read from analog pin, analog write to a pwm pin).
the mini has 6 pwm pins so you can easily build for 6 channels, but can probably add 2 more by programming 2 more digital pins to output pwm using timer interrupts code. In case you have Apex + VDM module for a total 8 analog channels.

cdness
09/27/2013, 12:24 PM
arduino mini + 2 resistors per channel, and simple arduino code (analog read from analog pin, analog write to a pwm pin).
the mini has 6 pwm pins so you can easily build for 6 channels, but can probably add 2 more by programming 2 more digital pins to output pwm using timer interrupts code. In case you have Apex + VDM module for a total 8 analog channels.

Do you happen to have a writeup on how this is done? I would be willing to learn the Arduino coding, but I am very new to this. Not new to electronics, just the arduino side of things.

ryngill
09/27/2013, 12:27 PM

Endorsed! I'm one of those users, the little converter works great. Thanks again O2Surplus.

O2Surplus
09/27/2013, 07:32 PM
Endorsed! I'm one of those users, the little converter works great. Thanks again O2Surplus.

Hey thanks a lot! I've been PM'd a lot concerning this little convertor, so I've stocked up on enough parts to build at least a dozen more. Just PM me if you want one.

skydancer
09/29/2013, 09:04 AM
Endorsed here too. I'm one of the users of the converter. They work great.

89Delta
10/25/2013, 09:36 PM

O2Surplus,
A friend of mine just got an Apex. One thing i've read on arduino.cc is that the ADC has a tendency for electromagnetic interference. Does your board/coding account for this or would I still need to DIY him a shielded cable?

O2Surplus
10/25/2013, 10:54 PM
O2Surplus,
A friend of mine just got an Apex. One thing i've read on arduino.cc is that the ADC has a tendency for electromagnetic interference. Does your board/coding account for this or would I still need to DIY him a shielded cable?

A shielded cable is always a good idea, but the software on this convertor employs an averaging function, so spurious signals on the analog inputs don't effect the convertor's PWM output. The convertor basically operates by sampling the input signal a few dozen times per second and then averaging it, before sending it off to the ADC for conversion. The resulting PWM output is rock steady. So much so, that it may be difficult for the convertor to mimic "lightning",as "lightning signals" on the inputs would be subjected to the same signal averaging method.

89Delta
10/25/2013, 11:23 PM
I doubt he's looking for lighting effects.....lol. Just basic sunrise/sunset. But thanks for the answer.

iliriano6
11/28/2013, 12:36 AM
great info here...

staplesofficewr
04/15/2014, 06:18 PM
Hey thanks a lot! I've been PM'd a lot concerning this little convertor, so I've stocked up on enough parts to build at least a dozen more. Just PM me if you want one.

PM Sent!

lars65inc
05/15/2014, 12:42 PM
Gotta have one!

O2Surplus
05/15/2014, 01:15 PM
Gotta have one!

LOL- Send me a PM! I'll be building more of the original "Universal" version soon. If you happen to be using a Profilux Controller, I've got a version built especially for you. This one's powered directly from the 12V line on the controller, so there's no need for any external power. Here's a photo-

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab172/kovawa/ProfiluxcompatibleAnalogtoDigitalConvertors002_zps85ca2877.jpg

lars65inc
05/16/2014, 12:54 PM
Just two more posts and I'll be allowed to send you a PM....

Eric

M28cruiser
08/01/2014, 10:25 PM
^I m on the same boat. Looking forward to send O2 a PM. Lol

Sangheili
09/07/2014, 09:45 PM
^I m on the same boat. Looking forward to send O2 a PM. Lol

Your not the only one. Just tried email and I think it worked lol

oreo57
09/08/2014, 07:39 AM
There are "commercial" versions for $15..

Details about New Voltage to PWM 0-5v 0-10v to PWM 0-100% Linear Conversion Transmitter Module

Module parameters

1, the working voltage : 9V ~ 17V
2, the input voltage range : 0.00V ~ 5.00V / 0.00V ~ 10.00V
3, the output frequency range: 1KHz / 8KHz
4, the output duty cycle range: 0 to 100%
5, the input mode: J1 pads on the circuit board: Open (0 ~ 5V); shorted (0 ~ 10V) default is open.
6, output: J2 pads on the circuit board: open (1KHz); short (10KHz), the default is open.
7, drive mode: open-collector NPN drive, the maximum current 200MA, external voltage range of 1 ~ 30V.
8, Applications: Remote data acquisition and control equipment;
9, Size: (L) 26mm * (W) 23mm * (height) 10mm
Module interfaces:
12V: positive power supply interfaces (9V ~ 17V).
G: Power to the ground interface.
IN: positive signal input interface.
G: negative signal input interface.
OUT: Signal output interfaces (1KHz/8KHz).
G: Power to the ground interface.
Input voltage selection: J1 pad
Open: Input (0.00V ~ 5.00V) output corresponding to 0 to 100% duty cycle pulse signal.
Short: Input (0.00V ~ 10.00V) output corresponding to 0 to 100% duty cycle pulse signal.
Output frequency selection: J2 pad
Open: 1KHz pulse output signal.
Short: 8KHz pulse signal output
Package include:
1 x New Voltage to PWM 0-5v 0-10v to PWM 0-100% Linear Conversion Transmitter Module

4 channel..

staplesofficewr
09/08/2014, 08:22 AM

Where do you see a 4 channel for $15.00?

The site lists the 2-channel for 29.99 and the 4-channel for $44.99.

O2Surplus
09/08/2014, 08:24 AM

4 channel..

Where's the $15 version you mention? How many channels does it do? Got a link? Stevesled gets $29.99 for their 4 channel model, so that can't be what you're referring to.

oreo57
09/08/2014, 02:56 PM
Where's the $15 version you mention? How many channels does it do? Got a link? Stevesled gets $29.99 for their 4 channel model, so that can't be what you're referring to.
sorry $15 was for single channel as posted.
Forgot the link.. :eek: But it's easy to find

Found Steves 4ch $29 later.. but I knew you'd respond.. ;)
OPP's 2 channel..
I just "looked" at the board.. my bad.. Again at least it made you do some work.. ;)

I do believe there are some Chinese copies that I referred to months ago, do you remember?
I couldn't find them again..

Hmm.. might be the other way boards.. PWM to 10V dim.... now that I think about it.. Soooo many boards.. sooo little time.

Anyways the major point is commercial boards exist....... which was THE point..
"price shopping" is not technically my job.......... :)

staplesofficewr
09/08/2014, 04:21 PM
If you look at the options, you have to select 4 channel or 2 channel. 2 channel is 30, 4 channel is 45:strange:

oreo57
09/08/2014, 05:07 PM
If you look at the options, you have to select 4 channel or 2 channel. 2 channel is 30, 4 channel is 45:strange:

Yes I realized that eventually. didn't expect such a simple piece of tech to be so much.. and I was in a hurry earlier..

to complete my fiasco.. the $14 one..
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDgzWDY0Mg==/z/MK0AAOSwxH1T1Ow7/$_1.JPG

New Voltage to PWM 0-5v 0-10v to PWM 0-100% Linear Conversion Transmitter Module

Le_Cats
09/23/2014, 05:06 PM
LOL- Send me a PM! I'll be building more of the original "Universal" version soon. If you happen to be using a Profilux Controller, I've got a version built especially for you. This one's powered directly from the 12V line on the controller, so there's no need for any external power. Here's a photo-

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab172/kovawa/ProfiluxcompatibleAnalogtoDigitalConvertors002_zps85ca2877.jpg

Hi !!!!

That is possible to get two for a Frenchie ???
Can you send me a PM O2Surplus, i'm a new user and can't send PM at first ......

It's exactly what i need for my light with my profilux controller.....

Le_Cats
09/26/2014, 11:38 AM
Hello,

Any body use this ???

O2Surplus
09/26/2014, 12:41 PM
Hello,

Any body use this ???

I sent you a PM.

staplesofficewr
09/26/2014, 04:25 PM
Hello,

Any body use this ???

Yes

killab443
10/05/2014, 07:25 PM
Do you sell these? if so how much?

Tanakaboy04
10/20/2014, 05:20 PM
Yes

I sent you a PM.

I was wondering if you still had those converters avalible ? If so send me a pm because I cannot send pm's right now as I am new member! Thanks !

Tanakaboy04
10/21/2014, 05:26 AM
I sent you a PM.

Yes sir it am intrested in the converters! I have heard great things! But just making sure these will work for the rapid led kit. ( http://www.rapidled.com/standard-75g-tank-dimmable-kit/ ) with the ldd drivers and the h4 board and power supply set up?

Sorry I still cannot send pm's I still don't have enough posts but I am intrested in the coverter! As long as it can work with that setup

Tanakaboy04
10/21/2014, 05:54 AM
Also I am from Hawaii so I understand shipping will be a little but more ahaha

Tanakaboy04
10/21/2014, 06:04 AM
Ohh yeah and I was wondering if I had to buy your driver board along with your converter or will the one in the kit work? Lol sorry for all the questions I am just trying to get my posts to 10 so I can send pm's

O2Surplus
10/21/2014, 06:46 AM
Ohh yeah and I was wondering if I had to buy your driver board along with your converter or will the one in the kit work? Lol sorry for all the questions I am just trying to get my posts to 10 so I can send pm's

I sent you a PM. You don't need my driver board in addition to the convertor. The Convertor is a stand alone device. Get your post count up and you'll be able to PM me- LOL.

Tanakaboy04
10/21/2014, 01:52 PM
Ahaha that is exactly what I am tryin to do by talking to you on this thread ahaha hopefully it works I am almost at ten! Aha

Tanakaboy04
10/21/2014, 01:53 PM
And okay sounds good I will check my pm!

Tanakaboy04
10/21/2014, 01:54 PM
And Rodger I will be ordering some of them from you very shortly! Ahah

Tanakaboy04
10/21/2014, 01:56 PM
Hey I was also wondering if you had a pictures of how to wire it up to the driver then to the apex?

Tanakaboy04
10/21/2014, 01:57 PM
Alright almost there just

Tanakaboy04
10/21/2014, 01:58 PM
Two more

Tanakaboy04
10/21/2014, 01:59 PM
Posts and I should be able to pm you! Ahaha

nameissoftlover
12/03/2014, 09:53 PM
Let's pretend I'm a newbie at wireing and was hoping to use a rk alc controller to run an aquamana 165 w cob... How would I test the manual sf I'm too know if it's 0-10 or where to wire it...

johnnyrd
02/22/2015, 07:17 AM
I'd be interested in this as well. I have 6 ELN-60-48P which require a PWM signal, rather than the 0-10v output from my Apex.

Are you still making them or can give me a breakdown of how to assemble them myself?

Thanks O2,
John

oreo57
02/22/2015, 11:52 AM
I'd be interested in this as well. I have 6 ELN-60-48P which require a PWM signal, rather than the 0-10v output from my Apex.

Are you still making them or can give me a breakdown of how to assemble them myself?

Thanks O2,
John

Oh oh this again.. Using these or more accurately the "D" model drove me to Ldd's..

Anyways the "P" can be used w/ 0-10V, no translation board needed...... They are dual use IF I remember history correctly.. Conversely the "D" models cannot be used w/ PWM...

I'm sure someone will validate this answer or correct my mistake.

johnnyrd
02/22/2015, 12:34 PM
I hope that's right! Going to try wiring tonight and will post if successful.

I had read both that they will and won't dim correctly.

Thanks for the info

oreo57
02/22/2015, 01:24 PM
I hope that's right! Going to try wiring tonight and will post if successful.

I had read both that they will and won't dim correctly.

Thanks for the info

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1982173
0-10V signal to ELN-60-48P - Long term issues?
I purchased the Meanwell ELN-60-48P power supply/drivers with the intention to build an arduino controller but decided that it would be larger undertaking that I want or can get into right now. I know you put a 10v power to the dimming leads for testing/calibration purposes but what about running it full time that way?

I would like to get a Reefkeeper Lite with the ALC light controller which operates on the 0-10v dimming method. Has anyone done this? Any issues either way with it? Would I need to put anything in between the ALC and the Meanwells?

nope i have been running it this way for a year now no problems at all

In case you encounter "driver flash" this thread also has a work around..

The flash only happens when you have them dimmed below 10% and cut the power, if you keep the lowest setting as 11% and cut the power the flash doesn't happen.

Can't personally vouch for this though..

johnnyrd
02/22/2015, 07:44 PM
I put one of my 3 channels on the apex tonight and dimming is the same as my typhon controller. I count this as a success! Other two channels will be done tomorrow. Will update after the transition.

johnnyrd
02/23/2015, 07:55 PM
Successful! All three channels are responding to the 0-10v dimming signal from the apex!

squartochi
05/07/2015, 07:38 AM

O2Surplus
05/07/2015, 07:51 PM

I build them in small batches and make them available for anyone who needs them. Just PM me and I'll be happy to provide more info.

pat49
05/10/2015, 06:46 PM
same as others here, would like to have your converter O2 but can't send you a PM. Is there any way around the 10 posts thing?

mike_dani
05/28/2015, 04:15 PM
sent you a PM 02

whatshesaid
07/16/2015, 02:06 PM
I also would like some info on this converter. I have tried the converter from Steve's and when I lowered the signal to off, the LEDs remained lit. I am currently using an arduino controller that I built and know first hand that these drivers can be driven down to 1% without issues. I am looking for a converter that responds well with the Apex controller and will shut off the LEDs when my Apex turns off the channel.

Thx,

rlcope
07/24/2015, 11:03 AM
Has anyone tried these on the Lumentek 240PRO? I am looking at getting an APEX after the new year and wanted to control my lights with it. Thanks.

IanReefer
08/27/2015, 12:49 PM
I ordered one 2 days ago and just got it today. It dims down to 0% just fine - that is completely lights off, and I'm using an Apex.

I like the connectors on it too, you just push the wire into it and it holds on.

Plus it was like $20 so you can't beat that.

Ian

bcracer5
10/02/2015, 08:35 AM
Hi 02surplus...inquiring about your converter and driver board. I can not PM is there another way to email?

cbrodus
10/02/2015, 04:55 PM
@O2Surplus, can you PM me? Interested in that PWM converter for my Apex.

bcracer5
10/03/2015, 07:47 AM
hi 02surplus...I did send an email to you yesterday

O2Surplus
10/03/2015, 10:10 AM
hi 02surplus...I did send an email to you yesterday

I just sent you a response. :dance:

cbrodus
10/03/2015, 10:44 AM
Hey O2,

Like the others, I cant reply until i have 10 posts:

Yes I think i need 2 of them. I have 2 AQUAMANA 165W COB LEDs, White, Colors and moonlight. Will I need 2? When I dim to 0, does it shut the light off? I ask because I would want to remove the 4 power sources for the 2 lights from my Apex energy bar and put it on an external power source so that I free up those slots.

- CBrodus

40gal
11/06/2015, 05:20 PM
Are there any good small power supplies that could be used in conjunction with the PWM converter to drive just a couple leds for moonlighting?

cbrodus
12/22/2015, 03:16 PM
Hey O2:

Any updates on the converters? If they are available I would need 4? (I have 2 aquamana COB LEDs).

Thanks in advance.

CBrodus.

Fcsteve777
01/04/2016, 09:35 PM
Well i dont have enough posts and i cant find ya on ********* so ill just post this here. Please pm me when you get some time.

Good evening,
Are you still producing the boards?

I have a 48v meanwell supply
a rapid led board for my ldd drivers

and an apex

I would wither power your board with a 12v supply (Neg side of that tied to the negative of the 48v supply)

Would your product get the job done? I have a steve's led one but even with the grounds tied im not getting an output. I need to get the oscilloscope out tomorrow to confirm but i dont like the lack of any information from their site.

Thank you for your time
Steven McLenachen

Fcsteve777
01/06/2016, 09:19 AM
Payment sent to 02Surplus for one of his. No response from Steve's led's on my non functioning unit from them and i have been too busy to get the Oscilloscope out and check its function on the bench.

cbrodus
01/10/2016, 09:16 AM
Hey O2:

Got your PM, still can't reply due toy post count:

I have 2 aquamana led fixtures with 2 dimmers (1white, 1 color). Will I need 4 PMW converters?

Fcsteve777
01/10/2016, 06:29 PM
Hey 02Surplus you received my paypal payment right? Haven't seen anything.

O2Surplus
01/10/2016, 10:27 PM
Hey 02Surplus you received my paypal payment right? Haven't seen anything.

Quit changing your user name and you might get your post count high enough to read and write PM's:lolspin:

Fcsteve777
01/11/2016, 12:09 PM
Quit changing your user name and you might get your post count high enough to read and write PM's:lolspin:

Haha yeah sorry man. Ill go rant somewhere for a wile to get some posts up.

Poseidon
01/11/2016, 09:18 PM
O2's product will work flawlessly for you, I have one, and have a project going with a buddy for another. I am thinking that next year when I evaluate lighting again, a DIY LED may be the ticket, controlled by 4 channels on my Apex, using this board.

cbrodus
01/14/2016, 06:03 PM
O2: Sent you funds via Paypal. Upon further reading i see that this is a 4 channel converter, correct?

cbrodus
01/31/2016, 08:20 AM
Hey there, anyone know if this is a 4 channel controlller?

rwgarrison
09/11/2017, 09:48 PM
OK - I know I'm bumping an old thread, but I have a question regarding Steve's aquarium controller vs o2surplus's converter.

Currently Steve's price is down to $20 for a 4 channel. Is O2surplus (I'll PM him after this post - as it is post # 10) still selling his board?

What are the main differences between the two?

I thought I read somewhere (can't find it now) that Steve's does not go all the way to 0 where O2surplus's does. Is that true?

Can a single APEX output drive two inputs on the above boards?

Thanks in advance.

Ron

staplesofficewr
09/12/2017, 12:02 PM
Can a single APEX output drive two inputs on the above boards?

Not sure on who still sells them, but a single APEX output can drive multiple inputs to the board.

rwgarrison
09/27/2017, 09:07 AM
Not sure on who still sells them, but a single APEX output can drive multiple inputs to the board.

Thanks for this. I have heard nothing from o2surplus (I'm guessing he's not selling them any more), and it looks like Steve's fixed the issue with going down to 0, so I will probably go that route.

Ron