PDA

View Full Version : controller

tirod
11/13/2012, 03:06 PM
Going to buy a new controller and wanted to see what everyone would recommend lm leaning towards apex or reefkeeper?

aandfsoccr04
11/13/2012, 03:57 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2029200&highlight=apex

danil
11/13/2012, 05:32 PM
Not many owned both but from what I remember few who did were leaning towards Apex. I own Apex and it works well for me. I had to buy some extras even though I bought full version.

ScootsComputes
11/13/2012, 06:04 PM
Reef Angel... More bang for your buck. Definitely can do more with it imo. Don't let the programming rumor scare you off. You don't have to know anything. Plug and Play, pretty much but You will need a computer to read instructions about it and change factory/default programming. There a a program that come with it. With it you can change all the settings. For instance, which outlit (relay) does what. Heres the way mine is setup

1) Skimmer Marineland 100, always on, off for feeding or maint
2) LCD 8 Blue moonlights, on 20:00 off 00:00
3) VHO 48" 2 1 blue 1 white, on 06:00 off 20:00
4) MH 14000k, on 11:00 off 14:30, off for overheat
5) Wave pump Koralia 750, set random between 15 and 30 sec, off for feeding or maint
6) Wave pump Koralia 750, set random between 15 and 30 sec, off for feeding or maint
7) Heater Marineland 200w, on 77.5 off 78, off for overheat
8) Marineland 4500 return pump, always on, off for feeding or maint
9) Recirc pump back of display LR walmart, always on, off for maint
10) Recirc pump refugium walmart, always on, off for maint
11) NO 15w 5000k refugium, on 16:00 off 06:00
12) Heater Marineland 200w, on 77.5 off 78, off for overheat
13) MH cooling fans, on 11:00 off 15:00

3 clicks on my controller I can go into Feeding or Maint mode. My overheat is 85. Temp control is good. My tank was 76ish. Been upping .25 degree to a target of 79. Very smooth.

I set this up very easily. I'm just a Newb to it tho. This was all done with the Wizard program. If you do know basic programming theres no limit to what you can do. Also they have wonderful support. Roberto IS the man. I guess this is all his brainchild. From what I've seen and read. He and a few others do everything. They are always avail. Go to Reefangel and read their forums. Ask any help in the forums you will have more than enough if you need it. But not much help is needed, at last for me it wasn't. The forums are more for Like specific questions on how to code something special.

Comes with 8 outlits (relays), Ph probe, 2 ato float switches, temp probe and all necessary cables including usb to computer. I love mine. Next I'm going to get my ATO going. My next purchase for it will be my WiFi so I will be able to access/adjust from my phone or the internet. Too cool

This is all just my opinion. I knew nothing about all this not long ago. Posted a thread on what was a good heater controller. After a lot of reading this is what I came up with. I am not familiar with either ReefKeeper or Apex. Just what I have read of them and Angel.
HTH

mcgyvr
11/13/2012, 06:16 PM
Reef Angel here too :)
Not a bad device at all.
Worth the price.
Very simple to get setup,etc.
Does a lot/includes a lot out of the box.
Fit/finish leave a bit to be desired.

You can really only decide on a controller when you know what you want it to control/do.
#outlets?
dimming?
wifi?
temps?
ph probe?
etc...

ScootsComputes
11/13/2012, 06:20 PM
McG is there anything you can't do with a RA? Honest question I'm not sure the awnser? Don't mean to Hijack but info as well

mcgyvr
11/13/2012, 06:25 PM
McG is there anything you can't do with a RA? Honest question I'm not sure the awnser? Don't mean to Hijack but info as well
well..You can't put power cords too close to the headunit/serial cable.. (part of my fit/finish complaint. No shielding/filtering so it can go a little goofy on you)

But in general NO.. You can do anything with it as you have the ability to completely change the software to do anything you want. They have hardware for virtually everything. Then its just up to your coding ability/imagination.
Anyone wanting to get into the coding with it should get the plus version with the more memory though.

ScootsComputes
11/13/2012, 06:43 PM
well..You can't put power cords too close to the headunit/serial cable.. (part of my fit/finish complaint. No shielding/filtering so it can go a little goofy on you)

I didn't know that. My controller is out front. Everything else is behind my tanks. Nice to know though thanks.

Almondsaz
11/13/2012, 06:52 PM
I have the Apex Lite and before that had the Aquacontroller III both by Neptune Systems. I like the form, fit and function and I have gotten support when I needed it that is second to none. I like the Lite vs the Jr becuase I wanted the display and I am really glad that I have it. If you like the nerdy side of life (like me) I have it so that I can control it via my iPad, iMac, Apex Display and the iPhone. I haven't gotten the variable controller for the led yet, but plan to soon. It really boils down to cost, function and support - for me Apex had it all. Would be great if it cost less, but you get what you pay for IMO. Good luck and let us all know what you end up with and how you like your choice.