PDA

View Full Version : Any Experts that might now what this is?????

marlin85
11/13/2012, 08:06 PM
I just received this banded hound shark and this was on its under side.... I have never seen anything like it...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=210668&stc=1&d=1352858746

syrinx
11/14/2012, 07:42 PM
I have been dealing with sharks for 20+ years and dont recall seeing that. It it subcutanious or on surface of skin? is it a continuous string? are their nodes like knots on a string? Obviously he has some bag burn as well, so I hope your system is as sterile as possible!

alprazo
11/15/2012, 06:44 AM
A similar clinical picture occurs in humans. It is called cutaneous larva migrans. In your shark I think there is a little worm, monogenia or some copepod embedded within the skin looking for a place to live. It is not finding one because it has landed on the wrong host. I think this is the reason why it has this very long track. It will likely die and not harm you shark. You could also remove it by scraping the leading edge of the track. Use an old bic flexible razor blade. The ones that are sharp on both sides. Snap it in half and take a small scoop of the skin. Then apply some antibiotic ointment. The skin is tough so you has to saw back and forth to cut into it. It is not difficult though. I would sedate the shark first though because it is much more difficult to do on the belly that is soft vs the dorsum that gives resistance.

All that said, it is only an educated guess. I've never seen this in a shark before either.

alprazo
11/15/2012, 05:08 PM
Marlin,

If you are up for scraping it, I would love to have the specimen and run it through my lab. I will send you everything needed.

Let me know

marlin85
11/15/2012, 05:21 PM
Marlin,

If you are up for scraping it, I would love to have the specimen and run it through my lab. I will send you everything needed.

Let me know

Carmen, Ive never done that but if you give me a little direction and think I wont kill the shark by doing it, I will give it a try since I do want to know what this is. I have the medication to sedate her, i would just need everything else.

alprazo
11/15/2012, 08:16 PM
Great, PM me your address.

Btw for anyone following this thread and a nut about shark diseases, there is an unbelievably extensive list of shark parasites.

http://shark-references.com/images/meine_bilder/downloads/elasmobranch-host-parasites-list.pdf