PDA

View Full Version : New to Reefs

Rarend99
11/14/2012, 02:40 PM
Hey guys,
I'm new to reefs, but not saltwater aquariums, I've had a FOWLR for about a year and a half with no issues, I have a 55 gallon tank with a zebra moray and lion fish. I recently upgraded to a full spectra reef LED lightening and am toying with the idea of having some coral, any suggestions, pointers, and tips would be greatly appreciated.
-Robert

Fizz71
11/14/2012, 03:00 PM
What are your nitrates at? I ask because moray's are eating (and pooping) machines and tend to be too much for the home reef--their eating habits tend to push the nitrates higher than our corals like. They also tend to relocate rock which will really **** you off if he decided to relocate the rock with your coral on it. They'll make a lunch of our CUCs too.

IMO morays and reefs don't mix unless it's MASSIVE and everything is glued down.

Lion fish are generally a no-no too...not because of the corals, but because they eat our clean-up crew, smaller pretty reef fish and inverts. So you can get away with them if you're careful, but I avoid them.

Going reef is more than just upping the lighting...it's also about accepting you can't buy 75% of the saltwater fish you see in the store anymore! It sucks...but IMO reefs are a 1000 times more entertaining to look at than a FOWLR.

mal7887
11/14/2012, 06:51 PM
it's also about accepting you can't buy 75% of the saltwater fish you see in the store anymore! It sucks...

True that!

Rarend99
11/15/2012, 01:22 PM
Nitrates are currently at zero, I'm going to glue my rocks this week before I get any coral at all, That should eliminate the hazard of the eels knocking corals out of rock, and as long as the eel and lion are okay with the first coral I put in there I will try others, I'm going to be optimistic and if I have to ill put the lion in my other larger tank