PDA

View Full Version : rock with hydroids and aptasia

sarahlovesfish
11/14/2012, 11:31 PM
I just found out that one rock I have has a large aptasia, a few smaller ones, and a small colony of hydroids. So far they haven:t spread any further , there are no corals, and the rock is pretty small. What should I do to get rid of all of them? Could I try rinsing it in freshwater a few times, and place it in new saltwater, then back into the tank?

sspark
11/15/2012, 01:31 AM
I also discovered aptasia on my rocks, baby ones, like 1/4" in size, i recall reading somewhere that peppermint shrimp will eat it for dinner. :) btw, someone told me that if you try to pick it off, and pieces break off, it will form another aptasia... but don't take my word for it. g'luck!

spieszak
11/15/2012, 01:46 AM
If its a tiny rock, and not a real loss, toss the rock. If you can remove the rock and plan on keeping it, you can burn them with a lighter (be sure to note where they are before you pull the rock, they'll hide) you can cover them with kalk paste, extra thick if the rock is out of the tank, and that will kill them. Lemon juice has been known to work, and also boiling water. (Do NOT boil the rock, it will likely crack and end up hurting you).. peppermint shrimp are hit and miss. If you aren't feeding the tank, they might snack on them. If you are feeding the tank, its likely they won;t be hungry enough too.
the important thing really is to take care of them as soon as you can, because before you know it, they will have every hole and crevice in every rock in your tank.. (well, not quite that quick, but still)..
good luck

blur456
11/15/2012, 06:27 AM
^^ is that for hydroids as well? I have found them on a rock in my tank too. The rock has a bunch of feather dusters that I don't want to kill in the process.

sarahlovesfish
11/20/2012, 06:38 PM
I am not so concerned about aptasia, because i can easily kill them with aptasia x. But how do I get the hydroids? Which one would be the worst? Anyway, I might just throw away the rock, because it is a small rock, and nothing lives on it except for the aptasia and hydroids