PDA

View Full Version : Black Ocellaris Clown White Bump?

Lion-o
11/15/2012, 11:00 AM
Hi,
We noticed this whiteish bump on the head of our black clown yesterday and are wondering if anyone knows what this is or how to treat? Should we quarantine? I attached some images for diagnosis.

Thanks!
Danny

Lion-o
11/16/2012, 09:44 AM
Hi all, since no one replied yet I posted again under the disease forums to see if I could catch someone there. Still no reply yet, but here are some additional details (from the other post)

Hi all,

I hope you can help. I know the pictures aren't extremely great quality but they are the best we could do with a moving target.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2234584

Tried cross referencing to other things here but hard to find a good match in the pictures (shocker). We have had this little guy for years now and I really hope the bump is nothing too serious. I saw that it could be from a blunt trauma, maybe from swimming into frogspawn or something? The bump is hard to tell if it's white or clear, but there is definitely white 'in' it. It has only been there a bit over a day now. We have QT available if necessary.

If you do reply, please do so in the other thread so that I'm not littering the boards too much

thanks,
danny & stacy

Also, we have not added anything new to the tank recently except for "reef stew" from our LFS. It's basically a nutrient mix with a bunch of amphipods. Those got gobbled up right away. The bump looks a little less severe today, and I'm still thinking it looks the most like a raised blister. The little guy doesnt want to sit still for me to get a really good look at it though :)

jscarlata
11/16/2012, 01:32 PM
Looks similiar to what mine had on her belly, i was told a bacterial infection...was there any white slime on the fish too?

Lion-o
11/16/2012, 01:38 PM
hi,

No slime. Actually, he looks fit as a fiddle aside from the lesion/blister/thingy. Behavior is still the same. It looks like it -may- have reduced a bit but I am keeping a close eye on it. Hopefully tomorrow it will look even smaller :)

ehaleyjr18
11/16/2012, 07:40 PM
Most likely HLLE.

Lion-o
11/16/2012, 08:07 PM
This is what I found about that:

HLLE [head and lateral line erosion disease, etc: tangs, particularly] dietary, possible implication of carbon use. Feed Selcon or equivalent and be sure fish gets green food.

WHAT KIND OF BACTERIUM AM I DEALING WITH?---
Fast primer on bacteria: they come in two types, gram negative and gram positive. Some antibiotics kill gram negative types, some kill gram positive types, and some [broad-spectrum antibiotics] kill BOTH.

"Your beneficial sandbed bacteria are gram negative. Cyanobacteria is gram negative. Erythromycin [ChemiClean Red Slime Remover; and Maracyn] manage to kill off cyano without killing your whole tank. But following the instructions is critical. Having a good skimmer to take the sudden dose of biomass is critical. You can still get a heavy dieoff of unwanted bacteria, that will take out your tank from sheer biomass if you have a weak skimmer.

"What sort of bacteria is, say, fin rot? Gram negative---like your sandbed. Anything that kills it will damage your sandbed. Don't, as a rule, put any antibiotic [from Greek: anti: against; bios--life] meaning bacteria killer---into your display tank.

I have treated with chemiclean recently (multiple weeks in succession), but the bump did not pop up until after a week or two after i stopped. I did large water changes after the treatments. I also do have a carbon mix in the sump, would you recommend I remove it?