PDA

View Full Version : Hello, new tank set-up help please

zachrabbit15
11/15/2012, 10:16 PM
Hello, new to the forum, but not the hobby. My last reef tank was set-up about 12years ago. I went big and loved it 400g with a 240g sump/fug and 8 400w mogul style halides. Had it set up for 4 years before moving and getting out of the hobby. Was a joy and a huge hassle (old tech and expensive to run). Now that life has settled back down and once again own a home I would like to set up a new reef tank.

I have a rimless 60g cube (22" wide x22" deep x24" tall) on a custom oak stand. So far I have a AquaC Remora HOT Skimmer (free) and a TaoTronics TT-AL09 LED Pendent (Amazon gift card purchase). The tank is drilled for a closed loop circulation system using a magdrive pump.

I'm looking for about 30-40lbs of live rock local (Seattle) or willing to have shipped. Does anyone know of a good store or other place to buy?

Fish list is short, A few cardinals, a multi colored angle, a Midas Blenny, 1-2 clowns, Yellow headed jaw fish, and fairy wrasse/sixline . The only potintial addiditions would be maybe a smaller tang, wish Tomi Tangs didn't get so big.

Coral I would like to keep are pollyps, LPS, and Mushrooms. Nothing fancy, wish would be to find a nice brancing frogspawn/hammer showpiece.

Ok on to the questions:
Do I need to run a sump? Due to the tank size it would have to be external and would prefer to keep away from that.

Is the LED going to be enough light? I had the gift card and the lights demminsions fit my tank size well. The only other option is a halide pendent.

Is the Remora a good HOT style skimmer? It is rated up to a 75g tank and has a really nice bubble trap/surface skimmer. Was also free!!

Last and my biggest question is should I do a sand bed or bare bottom?

PassDaReefer413
11/15/2012, 11:03 PM
Ok,

Soo... The remora is great for tanks your size or under. I ran a 75 full blown reef on one for a while.

Sumps are great but there are always ways around using them. I do not know what you mean by "needs to be external" as all sumps are external. If you mean it won't fit under the cabinet, then you could go custom or find a unique way to hide it (small enclosed table). If you mean, your tank isn't predrilled, just use an overflow box or go "coast to coast" and have the back drilled. If you use an OF box I would recommend one with a Utube and not a continuous overflow. There is ZERO benefit from using a continuous overflow compared to a Utube if done properly. There is more risk though (if the pump dies).

I prefer sandbed, but you will hear a million different "recipes for success" on here. It has been debated since I got in the hobby and still will be when I leave it. Personally I think it looks nice, involves no extra work, and does help with NO's. Some say dusting, some say none, I like 3"+, but thats because it has always worked for me.

Lastly, the light you have is considered one of the more questionable lights in the hobby. It's a cheap LED that doesn't produce much lumens but gives off a lot of visible light. I would use it for LPS and softies until you decide you don't like it, but one of our customers was using it and he ended up putting it on his FW cuz his reef wasn't reacting well to it. (and not due to bleaching, due to cheap LEDs.) Again it will work for now, upgrade in the future, but for the time being you should be able to keep a tank is good shape with it.

Two quick things. 1. An HQI pendant or clip on would work great for that tank (just set one up with a Coralife 150w HQI clip on). Spread it great and Acros and montis are doing great. Actually have two gently used ones with LED moonlight mods (email at EMDEL3@aol.com if interested), but either would work great over the cube.
2. Everyone is going to have a different opinion on everything. Just because I say something or Joe Shmoe says something, does not make it a fact, just an observation. plenty of people might have good luck with the Taotronics, I personally have seen the opposite. You may also find someone telling you the Remora is undersized. Again, opinion. I ran one of a 75 with stonys and LPS shoved into every nook and cranny and it worked good. I also did my maintenance and water changes. It all comes down to the combination of variables. Hope this helped and didnt become confusing ramblings.

zachrabbit15
11/16/2012, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the honest answers. The light will be here in a few days. For what I paid if it doesn't work for the reef I will switch it to the fish room rack. Sending you a PM about the HQI.

Gregs138
11/16/2012, 04:27 PM
You don't need a sump, it obviously helps. But my buddy runs a 65G reef with just power heads and a ghetto tech plastic mesh HOB box thingy that contains filter media and chaeto. one power head blows water through it and his tank is crystal clear for 2+ years.

Edit: he also just runs a HOB skimmer like the one you are talking about. his tank is very healthy and it works fine.

zachrabbit15
11/16/2012, 06:54 PM
Thanks looking for a simpler approch this time. I'm a machinist by trade and also have 23 breeding prs of Discus. Time is limited, but do miss the activity and look of my old reef tank.

thegrun
11/16/2012, 07:07 PM
Here is what I did with my 50 cube (24" x 24" x 20")
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu262/greenirons/50%20Cube/50Cube002.jpg
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu262/greenirons/50%20Cube/002.jpg
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu262/greenirons/50%20Cube/009.jpg
It's tight underneath, but you can set yours up with a sump.