PDA

View Full Version : Starting Over

Tonyle30s
11/15/2012, 11:10 PM
I acquired my first 90 gallon reef tank with live rock and hammer coral. I've had fresh water tanks all my life and was excited to make the switch! Picked up some fish(clown, tang, cardinal and royal gramma) and all was great....until I got some type of chemical in my tank(probably clothing detergent). It wiped out all my fish, my brittle star, sea cucumber and my hammer coral is about gone. The only thing that is doing well are the mushrooms on the live rock. I've already moved the coral into a bucket with fresh salt water. I'm getting rid of all the water and starting out fresh. I'm even getting rid of the live sand as i'm sure the chemicals are probably in there and it's probably impossible to clean. With that said, I'm thinking about running the tank for awhile without any sand or gravel. This may be a stupid question, but i have close to 150-200 pounds of live rock in the tank. Should I be worried about putting the live rock on the glass? I've always had gravel in my tanks so if a rock slipped or moved, the gravel/sand acted as a buffer so it wouldn't crack the glass.

I even replaced the revers osmosis system just in case the filters on that were too old. Any other recommendations? I have a wet/dry filter with no balls or carbon. Just a few pads and a pump. No skimmer. Thank you. It sucks that my fish and coral have died as the tank was awesome!!

funkejj
11/16/2012, 12:45 AM
A large water change and running carbon in a reactor might pull out the chemical causing the problem.