PDA

View Full Version : Need help on flatworms

treeside
11/16/2012, 12:20 PM
So, I bought a 15 gallon tank on craigslist and was so caught up in the purchase I didnt really inspect the tank. Once I get home I see a group of rust colored flatworms in my the tank specifically on the edge of the glass. Did some research and saw that I should siphon out the visible ones so i did. I then used a turkey baster to blow off the more inconspicuous ones and siphoned them out as well.

So , here's the weird part. Some of them were not really moving, and a lot of them looked dead. I saw maybe a dozen that were actually squirming around but for the most part there was not any real active ones.

My question is how do I get rid of these things? Specifically, if anyone has ever tried a blackout. I heard that if you completely block out light for 48 hours, the flatworms will die due to a photosynthetic aspect that all the worms have. Also, if anyone has had any tips or experience of how they got rid of theirs, i'd be interested to know. Thanks

nanito
11/16/2012, 12:30 PM
flatworm exit and a six line wrasse.

Subw00er
11/16/2012, 01:16 PM
fwe works well on the brown planaria. Use 2x dose and water change after they're all floating around dead.

treeside
11/16/2012, 02:08 PM
flatworm exit and a six line wrasse.

fwe works well on the brown planaria. Use 2x dose and water change after they're all floating around dead.

Looks like so far Flatworm Exit is the best choice. At this time should I be worried about the eggs?

Subw00er
11/16/2012, 02:13 PM
yup. You'll want to treat a few times to get rid of them. FWE does nto kill the eggs. Expect more in a couple weeks or so. Like nanito says you can try a natural predator like a six line, but they can be jerks and limit what goes in your tank. There are also some nudibranchs that eat them but they're generally short lived and expensive!

Pick up some coral rx to dip corals going forward so they dont come back!

treeside
11/16/2012, 02:21 PM
yup. You'll want to treat a few times to get rid of them. FWE does nto kill the eggs. Expect more in a couple weeks or so. Like nanito says you can try a natural predator like a six line, but they can be jerks and limit what goes in your tank. There are also some nudibranchs that eat them but they're generally short lived and expensive!

Pick up some coral rx to dip corals going forward so they dont come back!

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. I just hope these guys aren't in the "millions" as of right now but the good thing is there isn't much livestock. Im gonna try dosing the medication and don't worry I'm planning on getting some Coral rx for sure. Don't want anymore unnecessary critters.

Subw00er
11/16/2012, 02:53 PM
The only critter I knowingly know is affected by FWE are cerith snails. It stuns the larger ones badly and can kill the smaller ones. Generally they come back to health after a few water changes.