PDA

View Full Version : Hawaiian Feather Duster Propagation

Allan B
11/16/2012, 07:56 PM
I have a Hawaiian feather duster in my 125g and wonder if it will self propagate or if it needs a partner. Does anyone have any links or any information about how these things multiply?

A

LeslieH
11/17/2012, 03:59 PM
If it's a true hawaiian feather duster - Sabellastarte spectabilis - this applies:

From Wikipedia: "This worm can reproduce asexually by fragmentation, and can regenerate body parts after being damaged. Reproduction can also be by sexual means. Most worms are either male or female and the gametes mature in the coelom before being released into the water column. Some specimens, particularly larger ones, have both male and female gametes and a study concluded that this was consistent with sequential hermaphroditism.[7] Fertilization is external, and after a short time in the plankton, the trochophore larvae settle out and grow into adult worms.[2]"

Allan B
11/17/2012, 09:50 PM
Thanks Leslie. If it isnt a true Hawaiian FD, what would it be and how would I be able to tell?

LeslieH
11/18/2012, 01:52 AM
You wouldn't be able to tell and I might not either, not without the worm dead & under my microscope. Reproduction is similar in most of the big ones so it's no big deal if the id is wrong. :-))

Allan B
11/18/2012, 02:14 PM
Worm dead and under the microscope would kill the point. Thanks for your expertise!