PDA

View Full Version : Worst Skimmers ever made Thread!!!

TheReefKeeper
11/17/2012, 12:37 PM
Since their are so many threads asking what the best skimmers are I figured it would be interesting to see who has had what skimmers and what their experiences where with them. Might be easier to eliminate a skimmer choice based on bad experiences.

Now I'm sure this thread could turn into a bunch of arguing because some will have success with skimmers that others just could not get to work at all for them. This could also just end up with a big tech thread with people telling others that they have that skimmer and giving support on how they got it working for them with success.

At the end of the day if the skimmer did not work for the poster did not work PERIOD!!

I'll Start with the all time worst skimmer First Place for me was the Aqua-C EV Series worst skimmer design ever IMO.

I have a lot more after 12 years in the hobby but I will let others chime in first.

Next?

Dam wrong Section Mods Please move to proper Equipment section Sorry!!!

tpallas
11/17/2012, 12:46 PM
Dunno about the worst, but the Skilter was the best worst skimmer ever made.

gbru316
11/17/2012, 12:54 PM
Dunno about the worst, but the Skilter was the best worst skimmer ever made.

yet it could be modded to actually skim :wavehand:

I'd argue that the seaclone is worse than the skilter.

Biocubehqi
11/17/2012, 02:41 PM
The skimmer that coralife makes and gives free with the BioCube. Do how they call it a skimmer, more f just an airrater

viper12775
11/17/2012, 03:00 PM
i got a redsea berlin turbo for my first tank used it for 2 years and upgraded to a euroreef rs80 which pulled more skim in a week than the berlin in 2 years was a piece of junk lol

speedo2wet
11/17/2012, 03:14 PM
Well for me:
The sea clone was horrible but fun to look at if it ever worked but to
Skim the water- not sure if it ever did.

CSS-220 , looked like beast but as soon as you touched the water or feed it emptied the tank. Plus super fragile plastic so if dropped it would crack the collection cup and to get the cup secured was a pain. Horrible

AquaC-EV 180. Well it seems more is collected in the rising column than in the collection cup so it becomes a
Pain to clean all the time. Not really sure it's doing a job at all

Euro reef- best ever I've had. A true set it and forget it. Once dialed in I've never had a problem or had to adjust it. Also at the top of the riser column is a cone shape so the only cleaning is the collection cup. Great performer.

TheReefKeeper
11/17/2012, 03:42 PM
AquaC-EV 180. Well it seems more is collected in the rising column than in the collection cup so it becomes a
Pain to clean all the time. Not really sure it's doing a job at all

Euro reef- best ever I've had. A true set it and forget it. Once dialed in I've never had a problem or had to adjust it. Also at the top of the riser column is a cone shape so the only cleaning is the collection cup. Great performer.

Wow this is exactly my thoughts!!
The Aqua C confusion lol and Euro Reef being the best ever period!!!

allsps40
11/17/2012, 03:45 PM
Coralife Super Skimmer
Seaclone
Berlin Airlift (but it was a break through in marine filtration)
Marineland skimmers
Red Sea Prizm
Aqua C (you could never get them to skim correctly and if you even looked at them the foam head work collapse)

DeepThought
11/17/2012, 03:56 PM
I would say the worst skimmer i have had was a berlin as well. Next would be a coralife super skimmer 65. Definitely noy worth it for the money.

Bax
11/17/2012, 06:48 PM
Worst for me was a stock Bak Pak. Modded it skims like a little beast for its size . But out of the box .... dismal!!!!

Best I've ever owned? Hands down my MRC MR4R dual beckett! An electric company's dream! But a great skimmer!

TheReefKeeper
11/17/2012, 08:26 PM
An electric company's dream!
Lmao!

Loads of bad skimmers lol.

Steve175
11/17/2012, 09:20 PM
Aqua C EV also the worst money I have ever spent. The evaporative rate inside the cup was faster than the skim rate. Major POS IME.

reefgeezer
11/17/2012, 10:58 PM
I gave away an Aqua C EV skimmer because I couldn't bring myself to charge anyone for it.

j tavares
11/17/2012, 11:48 PM
aqua c remora pro 1 never skimmed in one year AND I threw it out. best skimmer for me was old school, sanders external air driven, cannot find here stateside anymore, pity in so many ways.

GSMguy
11/18/2012, 06:03 AM
I gave my remora away as well, I told the guy it was a peice of crap.

TSJSREEF
11/18/2012, 06:17 AM
+1 on Red Sea Berlin

ClownNut
11/18/2012, 06:49 AM
seaclone.

TheReefKeeper
11/18/2012, 07:39 AM
Aqua-C wasn't just painful for me good to know.

Looks like it is gonna go down as the worst skimmer in Reefing history LOL.

Following close race for second is the Seaclone, Red Sea Berlin and Coralife Super Skimmer. LOL (Super Skimmer haaaa)

mr.scoots
11/18/2012, 07:48 AM
[QUOTE=Bax;20899777]Worst for me was a stock Bak Pak. Modded it skims like a little beast for its size . But out of the box .... dismal!!!!

What did u do to mod it? I have one lying in the basement because I can't get it to work!

Bax
11/18/2012, 02:37 PM
[QUOTE=Bax;20899777]Worst for me was a stock Bak Pak. Modded it skims like a little beast for its size . But out of the box .... dismal!!!!

What did u do to mod it? I have one lying in the basement because I can't get it to work!

Swap the PH for a MJ900.

Mesh Mod the impeller on the MJ900

Feed the MJ900 air with a small air pump

It fills the entire 1st chamber with fine bubbles and skims quiet well for a small HOB. Not a simple Mod but if it's all the skimmer you can fit well worth the effort.

norwall
11/18/2012, 06:23 PM
I had an Aqua-C EV180 and thought it worked great. I used a Mag 9 pump w/ a valve so I could adjust the pump. If you want to use something bad, use the little Oceanic Bio Cube skimmer and you'll want your Aqua-C back in a heartbeat.

cmabrey75
11/18/2012, 06:47 PM
Seaclone followed close second being red sea berlin

xxxduke62xxx
11/18/2012, 06:49 PM
Kent nautilus te skimmer. Thing never skimmed

LokiPbc
11/18/2012, 06:59 PM
C'mon guys the seaclone isn't that bad..... Worth over $30, not to me, but here is what mine skimmed in the last 2 days 211312 and my bioload is very low. 46 gallon with 1 clown goby and 1 percula. Now when it comes to skimmers, I have used the worst of the worst. My first was the skilter. It was terrible, when I filled it with water it started leaking out of the pump. The second skimmer I had was a lees counter current skimmer. This thing was a real pain to tune, it looked awful in the tank, but it kinda worked. Now I (stepped up) to the seaclone, and it's performance blows away all the others I have used, which isn't saying much lol. One day I will actually have a sump and get a real skimmer, but until then...

DOTZ
11/18/2012, 07:01 PM
Sea clone was the one bad skimmer I had till I just got one with another tank. It's not the best but really not that bad. I think all skimmers have a fighting chance if you work with them. I have owned tons and the css 65 and 125 with mods were the best by far. Thats going against reef octo 110, ams mini g, ams (180 I think) been awhile.

I even had the prizim skimming very well. Never did get my seaclown working till I tried a diferent one so I believe all could do well, but you may have to work with them.

LokiPbc
11/18/2012, 07:30 PM
For the record, my seaclone is not modded.

imarock
11/18/2012, 08:01 PM
I used the Toms Rapid pro filter and it came with a protein skimmer inside of it. That was the worst skimmer I ever had
than
seaclone
prizm
coralife 65

MechEng99
11/19/2012, 07:49 AM
Dumb question...why is this in the SPS forum?

TheReefKeeper
11/19/2012, 08:13 AM
Dumb question...why is this in the SPS forum?

Actually a good question I wasn't paying attention until after it was posted:hmm2:

I put right at the bottom of the first post Mods "Please Move" but I guess they have not seen it yet.

MechEng99
11/19/2012, 08:34 AM
Hehe...just was kinda thrown off, but I haven't had my coffee yet. :) You'll probably get more humorous answers in the equipment section anyway.

As far as the worst skimmer I know, it was one that I tried to build myself. D'oh!

greg1786
11/22/2012, 11:40 PM
the worst ever is the skilter 400. I ended up gutting the whole thing and making it a hob refugium. I never got a single bit of skimmate once...I now have a seaclone 100 and modded it and I get this every two days http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u450/greg1786/2012-11-12214557.jpg

Posted from ReefCentral.com App for Android

allsps40
11/23/2012, 06:11 AM
Sea clone was the one bad skimmer I had till I just got one with another tank. It's not the best but really not that bad. I think all skimmers have a fighting chance if you work with them. I have owned tons and the css 65 and 125 with mods were the best by far. Thats going against reef octo 110, ams mini g, ams (180 I think) been awhile.

I even had the prizim skimming very well. Never did get my seaclown working till I tried a diferent one so I believe all could do well, but you may have to work with them.

Dude I replaced a SS65 with a RO NW110 and the 110 blew the SS65 away and the 110 was never that great of a skimmer. All you people talking about how the seaclone and SS work great must have never owned a real/good skimmer.
greg1786 my SCA302 collects that much skim in about 6 hours after cleaning. All these crap skimmers are also way over rated. Come on 100g tank can be ran with a seaclone 100 no way.

megadeth72
11/23/2012, 06:58 AM
seaclone by far the worst, skilter was close

I never had trouble getting my red sea berlin to skim great

WillM
11/23/2012, 07:09 AM
aqua c remora pro 1 never skimmed in one year AND I threw it out. best skimmer for me was old school, sanders external air driven, cannot find here stateside anymore, pity in so many ways.

I have one of these and it is a little beast. I'm running it on a 33L and it's perfect. The top says Sanders Ozonreaktor, but I just run it with a normal air pump and it is truly a great skimmer. That was my first skimmer, my other skimmer is a SRO 2000 SSS, which is temperamental, but far from a bad skimmer. Guess I've been lucky so far.

discocarp
11/23/2012, 07:26 AM
IMO the Bak Pak does not belong on this list. It was my first skimmer and I still run it on and off on frag tanks, q tanks, whatever. Other than having to replace the pump twice in 14 years, it has been the most solid skimmer I've ever owned. Is it a skimming beast? Of course not, but it always skims solid for me. I prefer the RIO 800 on it.

It has outlasted its much more expensive brothers time and time again.

Zvejkus
11/23/2012, 08:04 AM
If I would be asked to vote for the worst skimmer ever, I would choose skimmer that is included in the Red Sea MAX 250 all-in-one tank. Its almost impossible to regulate the bubbles height, its terrible to make cleaning of the skimmer or even just typical skimmer container maintenance. Rotor(mesh propeller) of my pump was broken about 6 times in year of service and after that the pump itself crashed. I had to make DYI rework with another pump(newjet) to get it to work at least a bit.

I tried to claim bad pump at reseller, but Red sea told me, its my fault, even that I found lot of users experience similar problems.

By the way, the designers of whole filtration of my tank should be taken to the wall and shot(just joking), cause its terrible and makes water parameters quite unstable, when you would like keep more fishes and corals together. Thanks god users of the new series of RSM will have external filtration.

Nanook
11/23/2012, 10:23 AM
[moved]

kc350twin
11/23/2012, 10:29 AM
I personally did not like the itech 100. The cup was so hard to remove i would slash skimmate all over the place. The told me to lube the oring and I also replaced the oring with a silicone one. It would be fine for a few days but if it sat on there a week it would be stuck. I wouldn't call it the worst but it is one of the worst I've owned.

greg1786
11/23/2012, 01:59 PM
Quote:

Originally Posted by DOTZ

Dude I replaced a SS65 with a RO NW110 and the 110 blew the SS65 away and the 110 was never that great of a skimmer. All you people talking about how the seaclone and SS work great must have never owned a real/good skimmer.
greg1786 my SCA302 collects that much skim in about 6 hours after cleaning. All these crap skimmers are also way over rated. Come on 100g tank can be ran with a seaclone 100 no way.

I don't claim the seaclone to be "great" nor do I think other skimmers aren't better I'm sure there are plenty that are much better. but I run the seaclone 100 with a new air valve on a 55gallon tank with a mixed reef of mostly sps and for the 70$ I payed for it, it does all I need. It helps keep my water very clean, clean enough to keep healthy colorful sps. I would love to have a nice octopus but I just don't see spending a lot of money when I don't need to right now. if I upgrade tanks I definitely won't run this skimmer on a large tank. just saying I didn't think it was that bad and imo certainly not the worst !

Posted from ReefCentral.com App for Android

atreis
11/23/2012, 03:45 PM
Sea Clone....

I'm surprised at all of the people complaining about the Aqua-C EV series though. I used a 180 with a Mag 7 for years, and it worked great. I just didn't like having to use a high-wattage pressure-rated pump for a skimmer, otherwise I'd still be using it. (My current Reef Octopus skimmer also works quite well, at a fraction of the wattage.)

James77
11/23/2012, 06:55 PM
Every hobbyist should be required to own a SeaClone skimmer. Like basic training.

I had no experience with it, but wasn't that prizm rather horrible? It was triangular....

TheReefKeeper
11/23/2012, 06:57 PM
Haaaaa ^ Prizm what a Gem!!!

csauer52
11/23/2012, 06:58 PM
Shocked that everyone bashes the Aqua C EV series. I have the 240 and it skims like crazy. Before this I was using a Reef Octopus which I thought was a piece of garbage considering how much $ I spent on it. That skimmer was EXTREMELY tempermental and would change skim as the water level changed in the sump. I got fed up and change dit out for the Aqua C and couldn't be happier.

Strange.....

TheReefKeeper
11/23/2012, 07:03 PM
Shocked that everyone bashes the Aqua C EV series. I have the 240 and it skims like crazy.

WOW really they must of made a mistake building them yours and atreis work good seems two so far got by Quality control LMAO JK:lol2:

megadeth72
11/23/2012, 07:08 PM
That skimmer was EXTREMELY tempermental and would change skim as the water level changed in the sump.

I would hope so, if it did not change then something was wrong with it

any in sump skimmer will work like this, use baffles or a float top off

azjohnny
11/23/2012, 07:16 PM
i got a redsea berlin turbo for my first tank used it for 2 years and upgraded to a euroreef rs80 which pulled more skim in a week than the berlin in 2 years was a piece of junk lol

Agreed ...I had one on a 180 back n the 90s...a total POS!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

ska d
11/23/2012, 08:33 PM
Glad to see no one mentioned coralife super 125. Lol. I can't complain, but I know its not the best skimmer. For me it was a step up though. I was using a brand called saline solutions that used a wood air Stone. Within a few days the bubbles would decline because the wood needed cleaning. I got the 125 for 75 bucks, cause the little pin for the air intake was broken. I fashioned a new one with rigid air tube and a week later I went back to the store and the guy says to me, hey we just ordered the wrong attachments for the ss65 and got the 125 instead. He gave one to me so basically I got a brand new super125 for 75 smacks. Still waiting for a deal on an octopus though. Lol

Painted skin
11/23/2012, 08:38 PM
Mine worst is eshopps psk100h, pump went twice. Pump always ran hot. Now I use SWC.

cap032
11/23/2012, 09:23 PM
Not a lot of skimmer experience but.......I got an Aqua C Remora Pro a couple of years ago..........if it skimmed as well as it made noise it would be a beast!!!!!! Unfortunately it doesnt! Lol. Like others mentioned with Aqua C's, I dont think I could screw someone and sell it to them. Perhaps one day Ill just use it for target practice, as giving it away would only cause someone else extreme annoiance and frustration............and I dont want to be responsible for somebody possibly going postal!!!! Lol

Boboli
11/23/2012, 09:44 PM
Aqua C Urchin.
Cant say enough bad stuff aboul it except I had the Berlin skimmer 20 years ago and it worked 10 times better!

TheReefKeeper
11/23/2012, 09:53 PM
Anyone have or remember the "Big Mombasa" skimmer? That thing was classic Lmao!!

csauer52
11/24/2012, 06:37 AM
I would hope so, if it did not change then something was wrong with it

any in sump skimmer will work like this, use baffles or a float top off

Well that hasn't been my experience to be honest. My ASM seemed to work well despite the level changing due to evaporation as does the EV240. The Reef Octo was pure rubbish. I could never dial that in.

I'm not talking big water level changes either. .5 inch max during the day, I top off twice a day. Overnight is less as the halides aren't running...

swcc
11/24/2012, 08:24 AM

me too... my favorite skimmer and I have had lots of really good skimmers..

worse was the biocube skimmer that came with my wife's biocube HQI.

discocarp
11/24/2012, 02:22 PM
+1 on the euroreefs. Great skimmers.

HaroldT
11/24/2012, 06:17 PM
Red Sea Berlin skimmers were junk. I had one and it was terrible. Barely even skimmed.

I did have a Euro Reef and it was a good skimmer. Blew doors on the Red Sea Berlin.

megadeth72
11/24/2012, 06:51 PM
Red Sea Berlin skimmers were junk. I had one and it was terrible. Barely even skimmed.

I did have a Euro Reef and it was a good skimmer. Blew doors on the Red Sea Berlin.

maybe wrong pump or setup, the design was not bad compared to skilters or seaclones

trmiv
11/24/2012, 09:20 PM
AquaC Urchin. Hated that POS.

spankey
11/25/2012, 04:08 AM
If anyone doesn't mind me adding my 2 cents. Many of the skimmers you mention weren't that they were bad skimmers, they were very bad designs but new to the hobby at a time when "Everyone" wanted to use skimmers. Some people back in the day didn't use protein skimmers or the good ones were very, very expensive. This hobby boomed and everyone and their brother were selling skimmers, corals, pumps etc. However, I noticed the hobby peaked around 2010 and slowed down a bit. I hope things come around though....

With some reading and some DIY tinkering you can pretty much get any skimmer to work. Keep in mind though, work to some is not the same to others. Bio load, how often you're placing your mitts in the tank, how often you feed and corals load etc all controls how a skimmer will function. What salinity you run your tank also has huge effects on how your skimmer skims. Positioning of the skimmer in sump or such. Water level. All factors and of course the ever so dreaded "Dialing it in" can effect how a skimmer works.....

I even dare to argue that the "Best" skimmers are simply based on the above. I've had Becket skimmers and they are work horses. They work great but some call them the best others say they aren't. At the time my Becket pulled gunk like to tomorrow. However, my tank was over loaded with SPS and I fed it heavily with food and supplements. It all depends on your husbandry for your tank. I have spent countless amounts of money when I first got into this hobby on stuff I wish I wouldn't have, however with some reading and some DIY, I was able to get most to work for the time i needed them too. Once my bio load out matched the skimmer, I upgraded to a "Better guys" model. But again, always looking for a mod on those too at some point.

Again, many are listing early "Cheap" versions of skimmers but again, I started with a seaclown, modded it with an air pump and wooden air stone and bam. It was pulling gunk like a champ.
I ran the Coralife supper skimmer, modded it and sure enough, big improvement over stock.

I've also made a skimmer for my sons bio cube using a PVC tube and a wooden air stone and it worked great for what he needed it for.

Although I agree these were not the best efficient skimmers, I think it's unfair to call them useless junk because if I recall, many, many people bought them and some even paid a pretty penny for them and today we laugh. The funny thing is, some people in the hobby won't even admit they owned one of them at one point or another.....LOL

A clear example is my local fish store about 5 years ago was selling a new sealcone new for over $130! People in my area that shop at that store would have spent $130 for that skimmer because it was the only one they had for sale. However about 30 miles from me "That Pet Place" had it for like $50 and of course countless other models from different manufactures. It also depends on what people can get their hands on at the time and if they are or aren't willing to pay or shop around. I have seen so much countless spending on products that so many people had to have but never shop or look for a better price or product. Now that would be a great thread....What did you "have to have" and you couldn't wait to have it....... I bet Vortech's fall into that one or LED lighting or modded maxi jets the list can go on and on.....LOL :) I'll start that thread because I bet the list could be endless.

But again it's just my 2 cents and opinion :)

steelcaveman
11/25/2012, 08:16 AM
Seaclown skimmer - get what you pay for. Aqua C - I thought it was a great skimmer - just took up a lot of real estate and heated up the tank. The worst skimmer I have ever owned was a Bubble Magus - the impeller/pin wheel broke after a few years. The company refused to provide any support. I was told that I would need to buy a new skimmer. After three months of attempting to get a new pin wheel - I gave up and bought a Reef Octopus - a good skimmer.

swcc
11/25/2012, 08:50 AM
With some reading and some DIY tinkering you can pretty much get any skimmer to work.

yeah, the point is if you have to tinker and modify in order to get the skimmer to work...well that denotes it is not a good skimmer and can be listed as a worse skimmer ever made.

coralife super skimmer and many other bad skimmers are still made today...these all easily fall into a category of 'worse skimmer ever made' if it is horrible in design, effectiveness, and quality of materials out of the box.

amond003
11/27/2012, 02:15 PM
I actually had a coralife when i first started and was able to dial it in to skim pretty well. LOL even though it truly is a POS

trinity1012
11/27/2012, 02:27 PM
lmao...all skimmers work,some are just moe effective than others.10 years from now the skimmers we all own now will b on this so called worst skimmers ever made list.

just my opinion:spin3:

TheReefKeeper
11/27/2012, 04:26 PM
I think your thought was addressed already Trinity and I have to disagree with all due respect. If some of these where discontinued dinosaurs then I would agree with you.

lmao...all skimmers work,some are just moe effective than others.10 years from now the skimmers we all own now will b on this so called worst skimmers ever made list.just my opinion:spin3:

swcc addressed your theory in this post.

yeah, the point is if you have to tinker and modify in order to get the skimmer to work...well that denotes it is not a good skimmer and can be listed as a worse skimmer ever made.

coralife super skimmer and many other bad skimmers are still made today...these all easily fall into a category of 'worse skimmer ever made' if it is horrible in design, effectiveness, and quality of materials out of the box.

This could turn into a big debate but at the end of the day if you have a reef tank I bet 80-90% of us have spent a share amount of time tweaking our skimmers and driving ourself crazy!! I'm sure I am not alone when I have said on more than one occasions I hate this POS skimmer while tweaking LMAO!!

This Worst Skimmer thread is just a place to share my experiences.

Did I get all my skimmers to skim yes!!

When Aqua C has been listed as so many peoples worst along with a few others then that would tell a newcomer to stay clear and save his or her's cash because it made the worst skimmer thread. Now if 2 people record a skimmer as the worst out of 100's of posts I would not call it one of the worst. I will elaborate more on this below.

Their are plenty of cheap skimmers that work good these days. When the Aqua C was made their where only a handful of skimmers available. I think thats why so may people placed it up as one of the worst a lot where sold and their are a lot still out their along with the seaclone and Red Sea's.

To say it's because they are all old I have to disagree!! I don't even want to get into it over a BK mini I had. I absolutely hated it and some call it one of the best till this day. May be it was a fluke skimmer but looking back I couldn't say anything bad about it because I paid for it. Today I know their are much better skimmers for a fraction of the cost. Is it one of the worst no I'm sure it was a fluke Skimmer. This many fluke Aqua C's,Seaclone's and prizm's I doubt it defiantly leading the list of worsts.

trinity1012
11/27/2012, 05:26 PM
seems to me every other post some one argues what someone has said.when u start a thread your gonna get peoples opinion's.even if you dont like what someone has said. opinions are like [email protected]#holes everybody has one.

im lookin forward to the counter arguement but i will nolonger post on this thread

megadeth72
11/27/2012, 05:58 PM
seems to me every other post some one argues what someone has said.when u start a thread your gonna get peoples opinion's.even if you dont like what someone has said. opinions are like [email protected]#holes everybody has one.

im lookin forward to the counter arguement but i will nolonger post on this thread

why did you post at all? LOL

reefdude135
11/27/2012, 09:08 PM
Great thread! Agree on Skilter, Prism, Red Sea Berlin, and SeaClone. Had them all (ouch!). Did anyone mention that the tiny Skilter was also LOUD?

Got some decent results from a Remora Pro and BakPak (both with the right pump) and an early version of the largest CSS.

Buzz1329
11/27/2012, 11:35 PM

Har! + 1 million on the redsea berlin!

cdivine
11/28/2012, 10:06 AM
I would say the SeaClone is the worst.....leaked all over the place.

The Aqua C EV 180 skims great for me. It can be touchy at times, but I'm sure all skimmers have their problems.
I'm know there are more modern and efficient skimmers out there, but I would need to Spend $500 or more.

rsaha
11/28/2012, 01:12 PM
I had to put an old EV-120 back into use while I wait for a replacement pump for my BK Mini 180. I didn't have the benefit of the incredible repository of information that is RC when I used to use it so I too hated it back then but after reading a couple of pages in the Aqua-C thread I set up my 120 and after a day to gunk up I find it skimming quite well in fact. Stupid loud and power hungry, yes, but it pulls respectably. Drops down when you feed or put your hand in the tank but it recovers in less than an hour. Been running a couple weeks now. I'm actually kind of impressed:eek2:

gcarroll
11/28/2012, 02:31 PM
My favorite skimmer ever was my AquaC EV. I would put it up against anything on the market today in regards to pulling gunk. I would still be using it today i I didn't pay $.30+/kwh for electricity!

SGTG
11/28/2012, 08:00 PM
i only have 1 skimmer since am new to the hobby and havent used it yet waiting on my eiheim pump to arrive. but any thoughts on the Reef Octopus NWB110 4” Pinwheel i would really hate it if it sucks.

swcc
11/29/2012, 08:02 AM
i only have 1 skimmer since am new to the hobby and havent used it yet waiting on my eiheim pump to arrive. but any thoughts on the Reef Octopus NWB110 4” Pinwheel i would really hate it if it sucks.

this is a good skimmer... Coralvue makes a kit for the output if the splashing water from said output is too loud for you. Or you can put together your own.

SaltwaterSensei
11/29/2012, 09:52 AM
I had a aqua-c urchin pro and it skimmed great for me on my 40 gallon breeder, I think it just depends what pump you're using. However when I upgraded my tank size I needed a bigger skimmer and since I had such good time with the aquac urchin pro I went with a custom ev400 with dual injectors an it was 10" taller then the stock one. It was the most finicky thing ever more skim mate collected on the inside of the riser tube then in the cup. Definitely was not as user friendly as the urchin pro. I won't say my custom ev400 was the worste ever but there were certainly much better skimmers at the time for the same price.

merritt32
11/29/2012, 11:23 AM
the worst skimmer ever by far is the rio nano skimmer/filter i had this on my 20L nano reef for about 4 months. I bought it because i liked the idea of a filter skimmer combo but boy was i wrong. The 4 months i had it on there it never collected anything other then clear water i played with the adjustments many times and nothing. It was noisy as hell too. Then i took it apart to clean it and the mag shaft snapped and nobody makes replacement parts. So in the trash it went. When i upgraded to a 40 breeder. I bought an aquac remora with mj1200 and she skims like crazy "kinda noisy though" but does well

Midwestmade
11/29/2012, 11:33 AM
I just bought a Bubble Magnus NAC-9 two months ago. This thing is the biggest pile! So loud it can be heard 3 floors above it. Horrible customer service after 4 weeks the rep said the pump was bad and wanted me to purchace a new pump!!! after 4 weeks!! Don't waste your money on this one!

merritt32
11/29/2012, 05:35 PM
crap i was looking at getting a bubble magnus nac9 for my new 240g

aquanooby
11/29/2012, 07:56 PM
I got what yall call the seaclown 100 what should i do to make it work to the best of its abilities? IM using it on a 36 bf

swcc
11/30/2012, 03:29 AM

try the seaside aquatics AS21 instead.

crn005
11/30/2012, 06:14 AM
Red Sea Prizm. It was my first and I never got and I could never really tune it. It would produce a little for a couple hours then get out of tune for some reason. Oh well. You live, you learn.

solitude127
11/30/2012, 09:15 AM
Current Fission skimmer gets my vote.

sneeyatch
11/30/2012, 11:17 AM
Excalibur skimmers - all of them - junk.

I had a lot of extra parts laying around and decided to mod an impeller for a Seaclone. I used the needlewheel from one of the Coralife skimmers and the thing worked pretty damn good IMO for as little as it was. Traded it to someone for something... can't remember what.

Coralife skimmers are junk.

Then again, I had some skimmers that were high quality that turned out to be crap too. One of the new Octopus skimmers with the Bubble Blaster - that thing was so damn finicky that I hated using it. Even the little Tunze skimmers didn't perform well either.

I've never owned anything like a BK or SWC or anything like that so I can't judge.

James77
11/30/2012, 01:30 PM
But at least when the cheap ones are crappy you are not out multi hundreds of dollars :)

ArrowCrab
11/30/2012, 01:44 PM
I'm getting a reef octopus 100 in the mail. When it comes I'll let you all know how bad my biocube skimmer is compared to it =).

SGTG
11/30/2012, 05:47 PM
this is a good skimmer... Coralvue makes a kit for the output if the splashing water from said output is too loud for you. Or you can put together your own.

what exacly does this kit includes and what does it do? maybe i can make it myself

keithhays
12/13/2012, 10:29 AM
I have an AQUAC EV400 which runs on an Iwaki. I have had zero issues with it, I turned it on last year and that was about it. I don't have to worry about cleaning out venturis or needle wheels. If there is something in the water, it will skim it out; , DOC'S, fish food, detritus, small children. :)

I will say that I did purposely want something that I didn't have to touch mechanically for a large system. If I were to mod it, I would cone the collection cup because stuff does collect just beneath it. I can't say it is a big concern, since I only clean that maybe once a month. It doesn't seem to affect it at all, I am just a neat freak.

I did have a hard time deciding between the AQUAC and the ETSS, both of which suited my overall purpose of processing a large amount of water. If I ever setup another large system, I would like to try the ETSS just for comparison.

power boat jim
12/13/2012, 10:45 AM
Anyone have or remember the "Big Mombasa" skimmer? That thing was classic Lmao!!

I thought I was the only one who had this skimmer. It was the first one I used . Thought it was normal to only have to clean the cup every 5 weeks. The thing had more leaks and cracks after 6 months then the Titanic after it hit the iceberg

steve9
12/13/2012, 10:46 AM
The aqua-c all have the worst neck cup design you could ever
imagine.
I put a euroreef neck/cup on a aqua-c and it was like a different skimmer.
Funny thing is i have run a aqua-c/beckett and etss and a number
of needlewheels and the are all crap[needlewheels] compared to all the others.
With the low power draw of a dc10000 and trition5 pump you cant complain
about the pumps power draw anymore as this is the only reason to put a downdraft in the worst skimmer category.

TheReefKeeper
12/13/2012, 10:48 AM
I thought I was the only one who had this skimmer. It was the first one I used . Thought it was normal to only have to clean the cup every 5 weeks. The thing had more leaks and cracks after 6 months then the Titanic after it hit the iceberg

Haa too funny it was like my 3rd skimmer and yea it was a joke big time:lmao:

mastersonr
12/13/2012, 12:35 PM
The aqua-c models seem to have divided camps. I have an aqua-c e240 which i a using on my first large tank set up so I don't have any other prior skimmer experience to compare it to. For me it is working pretty well so far and pulling out a lot of gunk. My wife knows exactly when I clean it in the laundry sink as she walks by with her nose pinched.

needmore-reef
12/13/2012, 01:22 PM
I worked at a LFS and lots of reps would come in to pedal their junk.
Worst so far...

Red Sea Pro Delux, Kent Nautalus. by far the biggest POS is the coralife Super Skimmer.

Green Chromis
12/14/2012, 11:03 AM
Red Sea skimmers are the worst skimmers I ever owned. The best skimmers so far are the ETSS 800 and 1500. You need pressure rated pumps, I use the Iwaki 55 and 100 RLT pumps for these skimmers.:thumbsup:

mos90
12/14/2012, 01:06 PM

get the curve 9 instead. better pump.

asylumdown
12/14/2012, 06:20 PM
I know it's been mentioned before, but my first skimmer was a Coralife super skimmer... something or other, can't remember the number. I thought to myself "wow, 200 bucks for a skimmer! what a deal, this reefing thing isn't really that expensive after all!" I ran it HOB to my sump. Then I learned that if the water level in the sump fluctuated the teeniest, tiniest bit, it would either stop working completely, or overflow. So I bought an ATO system. Then I learned that if you walked towards the tank too quickly, or coughed loudly in the next room, it would overflow. So I broke apart my sump to make it fit internally, and replaced my stand which had been ruined by saltwater. Then I learned that if you said something bad about it to your friends, it would punish you by seizing it's pump when you were out of town for a week.

Finally I realized that $200 wasn't a steal at all. All it really did was turn my $300 replacement skimmer, in to a $500 skimmer.

wyoung609
12/18/2012, 07:24 PM
Aqua C Remora. Total POS, never skimmed right. Pump would fall off intake and flood the floor. I went "Office Space" on it. Good times.

mordibv
12/18/2012, 08:27 PM
I think I had a few that top this list .
My first skimmer was a AS Visi Jet 100 . Now this one was a TOOL . Would never stay put and always slipped down in the tank. Spring air meter would break . y
2nd Skilter 250 ,it worked after u modded it with an airstone .
3. Oceanic Protein skimmer that came with the nice sump . Used an Eheim pump .
Had to use a limewood air stone on that one too .
Now I see this skimmer being sold on the net > Talk about old school .
I always wanted one when I used to read FAMA .
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff4/mordibv/Amiracleskimmer.jpg

Reeferz412
02/18/2013, 06:28 PM
i would say next to the seaclone (I got it for $15 with the mj1200 and tested the clown for laughs.. threw it away) is the Odyssea PS75. I actually managed to get this thing to skim and it served it's purpose until I got more money to buy a better skimmer. But you had to constantly adjust the darn thing and sometimes it would overflow. The pipe connected to the crap pump they give you was leaking as well as soon as I purchased it. It was one of those skimmers that made you lose sleep at night.

this is me
02/18/2013, 06:51 PM
Gotta go with the aqua c remora/pro.

Yose
03/28/2013, 02:44 PM
Not really sure why the SS220 was getting bashed. Sure it's no Deltec or SWC but with some plumbing mods and dialing it works well. If it sits above the sump it doesn't suffer from varying water levels. The only issue I have with it is how easily the venturi clogs; otherwise it has serviced my tank well.

Also, it's a 200 dollar skimmer... I wouldn't expect it to perform like one that costs a grand.

Allmost
03/28/2013, 02:48 PM
coralife SS makes a great media reactor.

mameroo2000
03/28/2013, 02:57 PM
Red Sea prize thy are NFG
Coralife pice off trash
Red Sea c-skim 1800 was off money

ggsteve
03/28/2013, 03:24 PM
This is why you should never trust the Internet. I just got a reef tank set up off of CL a couple of weeks ago that came with an Aqua-C Remora. Well. the Remora was cracked and dirty and after reading this thread I almost chucked it. Instead I had some free time and nothing to lose so I repaired the cracked side panel with some acrylic, cleaned it up and set it up in my sump, hanging on the divider between the two chambers. The fans in the lights make way more noise than it does and with hardly any tinkering I'm now getting decent quantities of dark brown skimmate. I emailed the company for the o-ring size I needed to buy because it was missing and they are sending me one for free. Pretty good for something I was going to throw away!

megadeth72
03/28/2013, 03:35 PM
yeah and the net is right about the aqua c

Joe0813
03/28/2013, 04:58 PM
super reef octopus 1000sss.... cant tune it right, screws rust out and overflows out of no where.

karsseboom
03/28/2013, 05:44 PM
This is why you should never trust the Internet. I just got a reef tank set up off of CL a couple of weeks ago that came with an Aqua-C Remora. Well. the Remora was cracked and dirty and after reading this thread I almost chucked it. Instead I had some free time and nothing to lose so I repaired the cracked side panel with some acrylic, cleaned it up and set it up in my sump, hanging on the divider between the two chambers. The fans in the lights make way more noise than it does and with hardly any tinkering I'm now getting decent quantities of dark brown skimmate. I emailed the company for the o-ring size I needed to buy because it was missing and they are sending me one for free. Pretty good for something I was going to throw away!

Aqua c skimmers are horrible and yes I owned one a long time ago.

desjardinii
03/29/2013, 01:37 AM
Aqua c skimmers are horrible and yes I owned one a long time ago.

Shhh! I'm going to try and sell my ev180 :(

Reeferz412
04/02/2013, 01:45 AM
I have heard great things about the ev's. They retain their value pretty well.

Another one to add to the list: Pro Clear Aquatics skimmers. Biggest pieces of garbage I have seen. From the pumps to the skimmer build, it is the worst.. forget about performance... I got one in a setup I bought and it was horrible. I can't believe I actually sold that thing.

SaltwaterSensei
04/02/2013, 08:21 AM
whats crazy is alot of these skimmers are still being made and sold. These days if you do your research its hard to get a horrible skimmer, even if you are on a budget.

reefaluva
04/02/2013, 09:52 AM
Worst skimmer I have ever owned would be seaclone and a aqua c remora. Both sucked.. Then I found forums and never bought a bad skimmer again.:thumbsup:

matt_97055
04/02/2013, 10:02 AM
So it looks like I goofed geting this red sea Berlin. Is there a way to mod it so I can just get by with it for a while? I have looked and can't find very much on it.

that Fish Guy
04/02/2013, 12:36 PM
Coralife Super Skimmer.

When the collection cup fills halfway it immediately overflows and a ton of water gets on the rug.

The red twister that locks the cup into place leaks too.

I have to screw it on so tight that I am worried that it will crack and break off the skimmer. And even then it will sometimes leak!

I get multiple online catalogs from online sellers and when I get to the skimmer page next to the Coaralife Super Skimmer there is always a stamp that says (Customer Favorite or Best Selling, etc). I then just shake my head.

Why do people keep buying these with all the bad reviews out there?

unze
04/02/2013, 12:54 PM
The initial Reef octopus skimmers suck. the market was saturated with junk skimmers.

desjardinii
04/02/2013, 09:55 PM
I have heard great things about the ev's. They retain their value pretty well.

Glad they retain their value well but perhaps you heard great things from people that havn't used a modern cone skimmer? :thumbsup:

Yose
04/10/2013, 08:43 AM
Coralife Super Skimmer.

When the collection cup fills halfway it immediately overflows and a ton of water gets on the rug.

The red twister that locks the cup into place leaks too.

I have to screw it on so tight that I am worried that it will crack and break off the skimmer. And even then it will sometimes leak!

I get multiple online catalogs from online sellers and when I get to the skimmer page next to the Coaralife Super Skimmer there is always a stamp that says (Customer Favorite or Best Selling, etc). I then just shake my head.

Why do people keep buying these with all the bad reviews out there?

I'm really not sure why the CSS keeps getting bashed. My 220 runs great, doesn't leak, and doesn't overflow. I will post pics when I get home that show what it can do if you're willing to give it optimum conditions. Keep in mind this is a $200.00 skimmer and not unit that costs multiple thousands of dollars.

One other thing, if your skimmer cup needs to be jacked down so hard that you're worried about cracking the skimmer then you have most likely crushed the skimmer's O ring. The skimmer cup doesn't need to be cranked to create a fine seal.

Yose
04/10/2013, 09:42 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7676&pictureid=51973

that Fish Guy
04/10/2013, 01:11 PM
I'm really not sure why the CSS keeps getting bashed. My 220 runs great, doesn't leak, and doesn't overflow. I will post pics when I get home that show what it can do if you're willing to give it optimum conditions. Keep in mind this is a $200.00 skimmer and not unit that costs multiple thousands of dollars.

One other thing, if your skimmer cup needs to be jacked down so hard that you're worried about cracking the skimmer then you have most likely crushed the skimmer's O ring. The skimmer cup doesn't need to be cranked to create a fine seal.

You are the first person I have ever seen say anything positive for the Coralife Super Skimmer.

From what I have gathered the only skimmers worse than the Super Skimmer are the Instant Ocean Cyclone and the Red Sea Prizm.

Do the rest of you guys agree on that?

reeftivo
04/10/2013, 01:16 PM
You are the first person I have ever seen say anything positive for the Coralife Super Skimmer.

From what I have gathered the only skimmers worse than the Super Skimmer are the Instant Ocean Cyclone and the Red Sea Prizm.

just got a migraine when I saw red sea prizm in this post

THE WORST thin plastic POS ever made

emilypres
04/10/2013, 01:22 PM

Then i would be the second, i have a coralife 220 and it skims great. Of course I installed an OTP-3000 pump instead of the factory one, this may have something to do with it.

KafudaFish
04/10/2013, 01:24 PM
Aqua C.

The only time it ever worked correctly was after my wife dropped it and it cracked because it made a great door stop after that.

Reeferz412
04/10/2013, 01:24 PM
Then i would be the second, i have a coralife 220 and it skims great. Of course I installed an OTP-3000 pump instead of the factory one, this may have something to do with it.

That has a lot to do with it. Pump=heart of skimmer. If you have a crap pump you have crap performance.

Reeferz412
04/10/2013, 01:27 PM

I have sold some skimmers on ebay and I always see people bidding on those skimmers, whats the deal? Do they not see the TERRIBLE reviews these things get on all reefing forums???

dirkomatic
04/10/2013, 01:27 PM

I have the CSS 65 and it works fine for me so far. I guess I'm the only other person that has one that works...

I do know that at some point they changed the design of the CSS, or at least the 65. I got an older one and the cup is much smaller and it is much taller than my newer one.

that Fish Guy
04/10/2013, 01:40 PM
I have sold some skimmers on ebay and I always see people bidding on those skimmers, whats the deal? Do they not see the TERRIBLE reviews these things get on all reefing forums???

Generally speaking people are both cheap and stupid.

They will buy the cheapest product out there to save money.

And unfortunately most people are stupid in that they buy stuff before researching.

There are alot of people here on this site but most people keeping saltwater aquariums have never heard of reef central. Which is unfortunate as there is a ton of useful information here.

Whenever I get a new animal whether fish, coral, frog, or lizard I always join the biggest forum available for that animal to learn as much as I can.

I check RC here at least 3 times a day.

People buy inferior products because they are cheap, stupid, and ignorant.

Its the American way.

What can you do.

I commend all the knowledgeable reefers here though. (RC is the best and cheapest thing you can do when getting into reefing).

LOL. I said people are cheap yet they do not come here (And it is absolutely free).

You can't get any cheaper than free.

Oh well, that is my opinion.

reeftivo
04/10/2013, 01:52 PM
well said!

I feel about as dumb as they come when I think of some of the purchases I've made over the years.

With that being said, when I started keeping aquariums there were no personal computers let alone hobbyist forums.
There were books/magazines (tropical fish mag!) but not many equipment reviews.
It was the wild west! BUY IT THEN TRY IT!!!

indyjaco
04/10/2013, 05:43 PM
I really can't stand my SWC 150. I never seems to pull anything in my 75 with 6 fish and coral.

Even in 9.5-10" of water I have the valve about closed just to pull any poop.

megadeth72
04/10/2013, 05:48 PM
I really can't stand my SWC 150. I never seems to pull anything in my 75 with 6 fish and coral.

Even in 9.5-10" of water I have the valve about closed just to pull any poop.

that style skimmer always gets great reviews, try running a little carbon

indyjaco
04/10/2013, 06:27 PM
I am currently using brs carbon in a bag and gfo in a reactor.

Timber77
04/11/2013, 04:03 PM
I ve have to say seaclone or amiracle

i did have one called a top fathom which made for a horrible skimmer, however they are prefect for modification into calcium reactors, so i actually would say its my best worst skimmer for that reason because at least it can still be used in my system whereas the seaclones, etc just collect dust or perhaps are good for aeration of makeup water.

the aqua c are not horrible (larger ones with the right pump) but design is a dinosaur nowadays.

tonyf
04/11/2013, 09:20 PM
In their day and combined with the right pressure pump the AquaC EV's rocked as did the beckett skimmers. Nowadays, NW technology has confined them to the 'museums' but if you do decide to pick one up and try it out, you won't be disappointed !