PDA

View Full Version : Ways to decrease shimmer?

benjc
11/17/2012, 07:34 PM
Looking for suggestions on how to decrease shimmer/disco effect from LEDs. I know the #1 method is reduced surface agitation. How does height above water and optic/lens angles affect the shimmer and disco? Has anybody tried placing frosted acrylic in front of the LED's; do you lose a ton of PAR if you do so? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sisterlimonpot
11/17/2012, 07:38 PM
What type of fixture do you have?

I wouldn't put frosted acrylic in front of it because you will lose tons of light. Moving it higher will help some but there really isn't any way to completely get rid of it. Personally I just got use to it and don't even noticed it.

Bossleupagus
11/17/2012, 08:30 PM
add a PC and it will reduce shimmer.

stlcard
12/06/2012, 09:47 PM
add a PC and it will reduce shimmer.

"PC" ?

im considering making the switch, but shimmer effect is the only thing holding me back....

thegrun
12/06/2012, 10:35 PM
Raising the light or switching to a wider angle lens (both in essence do the same thing, spread out the light and intensity when it makes contact with the water) both will help reduce the disco effect, but also slightly reduce PAR values. The frosted glass would also reduce it, but at a much larger PAR reduction.

Revmedia
12/06/2012, 11:00 PM
Frosted glass will kill your par. Depending on what kind of fixtures you have, what your tank depth is and what corals you keep, that may or may not be acceptable. Just raising the light a bit will probably help a lot.

sponger0
12/07/2012, 07:42 AM
Switch to T5s. They dont have shimmer

FlyFishGuy
12/07/2012, 10:13 AM
You can use screen (preferably nylon) under the lights. It is best in this case to crumple the screen a bit and allow it to loosely 'grab' the light fixture so that it acts like a veil or cage about 2-4 inches away from the LED chip. This will disperse the light beam without causing too much loss of par.

I've used this method for about 6 months on one light, but left the other without. The corals on the side with the screen are actually growing faster with better coloration.

Good luck!