PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a? Can I build a 30" tall tank out of .598" Acrylic?

nimoryan
11/18/2012, 04:44 AM
My wife and I moved to Papua New Guinea from Dallas Texas a while back and before we did I tore down my two reef tanks and sent the pieces here with our stuff in a shipping container. It will be arriving in another month and I am excited to get started.

I have a older 110 Das aquarium and my old custom acrylic one as well, but in all truth after diving here a bunch I am wanting a bit bigger than these. I want to build a new acrylic tank and set it up like one I have now but a bit bigger. I have a few questions and will start a build thread once everything gets here and I begin.

I am going to be building a reef tank and my current thoughts on size are 60"long x 36" wide x 30" tall. I may also make it 72" long instead of 60" the jury is still out for me. I have access all day long to sheets of good quality cell cast 100"x72" .598" thick acrylic but it is a bit difficult to come by the .75" stuff I would like to build this tank out of, I can also get some .708" stuff here but it is extremely expensive.

I have seen a lot of debate and the usual answer seems to be 3/4" only on anything above 24" tall, but I have seen a few threads on tanks that were in this size range and a bit longer that were 1/2" thick or 5/8" thick and ok. Am I mistaken in that? and is it possible to build a tank that is well braced out of the 1/2+" stuff I can get? Think Euro braced solid top with two holes to maintain rigidness and strength, 1/2" triangle bracing in all seams, top, side and bottom.

I built a 1/2" thick custom tank that was 36" long x 36" deep" x 32" tall and had it set up for over three years, and it was a awesome. If that worked could this one? I am only a touch concerned because of the extra length of this build. Let me know you thoughts. Just thinking of safety and longevity. I am not that put out by bowing as long as the joints are good and the tank is not going to be dangerous. My other tank had almost none.

Does anyone out there have a tank over 24" tall made out of acrylic less than 3/4" thick?
How has it held up? Horror stories please?
Can this be done safely?
Any special concerns?
If it can be done, any suggestions on building / bracing it?

peppie
11/18/2012, 09:00 PM
I have not done it. It sounds as if you have done your homework on the recommended thickness for a tank of that height.
However if you were to use 5/8'' and add 5/8'' triangle rods to all inside corners I feel that would be plenty of reinforcement for your seams. The down side to using 5/8 for that height, it will bow a bunch. As I understand that can cause issues with scratches.
Looking for longevity and saftey?
I would either make the tank smaller or buy the thicker acrylic.

JMO

nimoryan
11/18/2012, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the reply, I am right there as well. With the other two tanks I already have I don't think the work is worth it if it is not bigger. So if I cannot get a lead on good 3/4" acrylic then I will stick with what I have.

I have been looking into it and we are shipping some construction supplies and other things for work down in three weeks. I can get some sheets on the container for free if I can do it fast enough. The hard part is I am trying to find a supplier of good sheets of 3/4" acrylic in the USA that can get them to my shipper in MO quickly to make the container.

I would like to get two sheets of 3/4" at 72x100 or there in and am only finding 48"x76" which is really a loss in left over pieces. Anyone know where I can get some good oversize sheets? I used to be able to get them at Regal for the same price per sq ft as 4x8 stuff a couple of years ago. I would also like to throw in a couple of sheets of 1/4" stuff as well and if I can find it fast enough about 6' of 6" acrylic tube. Hope I can make this work. If the shipping is free I can cut the costs significantly and make it worth while.

kcress
11/19/2012, 12:53 AM
Have you asked Acrylics yet? Look around or search. His monster thread is filled with exactly your question and his recommendations.

Acrylics
11/19/2012, 09:08 AM
5/8" *can* be used, but yeah - gonna bow more than it should. If your seams are good and the material is good - no point in the gussets.. won't help if everything else is in good order. Structurally, 5/8" is fine if braced properly.

James