PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer Overflow Shut Off

rocride
11/18/2012, 12:33 PM
I'm wanting to put a float switch either in my collection cup or in a remote waste collecter to shut down my skimmer pump in the event it overflows.
I've google searched and saw some instances where people have done this but nothing that notes the details exactly.So I'm wondering if someone can help.

First,Do I need a relay or can I just do an extension cord mod? I was actually hoping to wire in a piggyback plug to the float switch and then the pump into that but either way I originally wasn't thinking I would need a relay.I still don't think I do but am I wrong?

Second,It's a SRO3000 so the pump is 40w and Voltage being 120 so amps are going to be around .33amps and from what I recall the typical float switch we see in the hobby is rated for .5amps (correct?),So I should be good/within limits/basically safe from any electrical disaster or wrong doing? Or should I look for a higher rated float switch? Power to the pump will be normally be running through the switch after this mod.

It's an in sump set-up but when it has overflowed it still manages to throw foam/water enough to creep along plumping etc to form drips and make a mess in the stand/floor.
I would really appreciate any help in regards to this little project.

Thanks!

MHG
11/18/2012, 12:40 PM
I would avoid anything with 120....look into circuits using 12 volts and a float switch to trigger a 12 volt relay hidden in a power strip or something. Don't bring the 120 into a wet area...

rocride
11/18/2012, 12:59 PM
okie dokie,thanks
but,as it is now I have about 1500 watts of 120 for the system and the only thing that's 12v is the Tunze ATO so why do I need the relay?
I'm asking purely for an information base.

When people do the extension cord mod for an ATO isn't this plan the same thing except for the fact that the switch operation is reversed,turning the pump off instead of on.

bad santa
11/18/2012, 05:09 PM
You can buy the relay and relay holder from aqua hub. But from what I've read about float switches in the collection cup is that they have a tendency to get stuck with all the skimmate crud.
A alternative to a float switch would be a pressure switch. I've seen them on the avast website. So you might want to look at that c

garydan
11/18/2012, 07:06 PM
Not DIY, but check out www.avastmarine.com, the Davey Jones skimmate locker does exactly this. :)

rocride
11/18/2012, 07:37 PM
^ that's exactly what I'm talking about but I am hoping to make a DIY unit.
I am leaning more towards the remote collection container with the float switch in it.Probably 1-2 gallon with the float switch secured in the lid.
There is way too much foamy crud in the cup itself and I think that would possibly foul the switch but in a remote container it should just be liquid and really no chance of false switch making.

like this one (http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A28F8V_NLOg)

bad santa
11/18/2012, 08:37 PM
It would work but just make sure you skim wet. If you have a tendency to skim a little dry then I see the float switch failing.

garydan
11/18/2012, 08:53 PM
So, i've done the spliced extension cord with a float switch for my ATO. The small tom's aquatics dosing pump pulls around a tenth of an amp and the float switches are rated for 110v and about a half amp. The float switches are threaded, so i felt relatively safe with one threaded onto a pipe to keep the wires from getting wet. I used it for a couple years with no problems. The issue you're going to have is that most skimmer pumps are going to be over a half amp, and so i think you're only option would be a relay. I was looking at mcmaster carr, and they have some sump switches that might work for something like this, if your bucket is big enough.

Another option would be to mirror what avast does. They use a momentary air pressure switch. That approach doesn't need an additional DC power supply for a relay (which can fail).

Eurobeaner
11/18/2012, 08:59 PM
Just buy a cheap ato kit from autotopoff .com or aquahub and instead of making it always off and turn on when the float hits, make it always ON, and turn OFF when the float trips. Bam, done

rocride
11/18/2012, 09:17 PM
Gary-the air pressure switch is a whole new avenue from what I've been thinking.Also from what I can figure my skimmer pump (SRO3000INT) at 40watts and Voltage being 120v puts me at .33 amps and true enough the switches I see are listed as .5 amps capable.

Euro-I agree that was basically my original intent but as I searched Google I started seeing replays come into play,so that's where I'm at...I was going to just put a float switch inline in an extension cord,attach the float switch to a container and run my drain hose to the container.I plan that the switch will never get made unless the skimmer overflows and fills the container=skimmer pump off=no water on the floor :)

Thanks for the replies!

kriv4o
11/18/2012, 10:18 PM
I just got a spare pressure switch from Avast and rigged it my self in my external skimmer collection jug. Total cost was about 65 buxn including the gallon container from Walmart, and a spare pvc fitting I had laying around.

rocride
11/19/2012, 12:17 PM
nice.Avast deserves great mention for this idea and the fact they will sell the switch for the DIYer.If I had more funds available for this I'd just buy their Locker just to support them.
did you document the process of putting this together? build thread or pictures?

psteeleb
11/19/2012, 12:49 PM
here's mine

Cheapo cereal container with a few parts added that include an inlet, screened outlet (can hold a carbon bag), and $5 float switch.

The float switch is hooked up to my Apex that shuts the skimmer off and turns on an alarm to let me know it's full. It's been working great (flawlessly) for a year and a half now.

http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/download/file.php?id=54094

http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/download/file.php?id=54096

rocride
11/19/2012, 01:08 PM
nicely done!

so you just wired a plug to the pigtails and that plugs into your controller power bar and the skimmer is on a separate plug in on the power bar as well?

one talks to the other via the controller?

psteeleb
11/19/2012, 01:40 PM
nicely done!

so you just wired a plug to the pigtails and that plugs into your controller power bar and the skimmer is on a separate plug in on the power bar as well?

one talks to the other via the controller?

they do talk through the controller program but the wiring is a little different:

The float switch pig tails hook directly to an in/out module of the Apex (not a plug). I have the float switch configured as a normally closed (when down) so when the float goes up it opens the circuit (also if by chance the wire comes loose it detects an open circuit).

The Skimmer is plugged into the power bar that is controlled by the Apex. The Apex logic turns the skimmer power off if the in/out module detects the float circuit open, or the tank is in feed mode, etc.

In your case (or without a controller) a float switch wired to a relay controlled plug device would work great. I think you can buy the parts from autotopoff.com (float switch and a DIY relay box kit)

and thanks,