PDA

View Full Version : old rock question

SteveZ15
11/19/2012, 10:52 AM
I want to make a new set up i havent keept a tank in years.. can i use old rock i had in a previous tank it been sitting in the tank dried up for years.. can i at least use it for base rock?

Zappo
11/19/2012, 10:56 AM
It's probably pretty loaded with old dead stuff, so you might want to cycle that in a garbage can or something before putting it in the tank to avoid having to deal with all the nutrients that are likely to come out of it. Other than that, it's rock. They don't expire. :)

SteveZ15
11/19/2012, 10:59 AM
So just add new salt water mixture in and let it sit?I only had fish so i not experienced in corals i gonna make a tank soon for fish and a few easier corals like mushrooms so i am collection as much info as i can thanks.

billdogg
11/19/2012, 11:51 AM
Scrub it all with a (new) stiff brush to clean off as much old stuff as you can. If, in your old tank, you used copper, you will want to allow it to soak for awhile and then test the water to see if any has leeched out. If so, a couple polyfilter pads and some time will take care of it. You may also want to check it at that time for phoshate - especially if you had algae issues in the past. Many people will put it in a fairly weak solution of muriatic acid (available at HD/Lowes) to help get rid of it and reopen pores in the rock. Several more really good rinses and you will then have good base rock ready for use.

hth