PDA

View Full Version : Starry Blenny, Lawnmower Blenny and Diamond Goby

joegoersch
11/20/2012, 10:25 AM
I have a 120 gallon tank with the following livestock
royal gramma, one-spot foxface, two diamond bar goby, pajama cardinal, diamond watchman goby, ocelarus clown, purple firefish, tailspot blenny.

I just bought a Lawnmower Blenny and a Starry Blenny. They are in my QT now after being tank-transferred to make sure no Ich.

Two questions:

1) The lawnmower and starry blenny look pretty similar, what's the best way to tell which is which ? they don't look exactly like the pictures I've seen

2) I am concerned about the Lawnmower Blenny terrorizing my diamond watchman goby. I think I am going to give it away (or trade it for a frag) unless someone tells me otherwise. I really like my diamond goby and would hate to see it hurt. Any thoughts ?

J2T
11/20/2012, 12:39 PM
I think I would worry more about the Starry and the Lawnmower going after each other and maybe the tailspot as well than going after the goby. I would imagine if the happen to carve out their own areas on opposite ends of the tank you might be ok but when I had my lawnmower in my 75 he was all over and everywhere in that tank.

Starry's are usually darker in color with spots while the lawnmowers are usually lighter with more designs rather than spotted.

Sk8r
11/20/2012, 01:01 PM
Starry won't bother a tailspot, probably won't go after the diamond. Lawnmowers are a little pushier, but may not bother the diamond either.

Starrys can change to pinto color, and frequently change color. Lawnmowers, not so much.

OregonReefer2
11/20/2012, 04:56 PM
I have a lawnmower and Diamond in a 120... On rare occasions the Lawnmower likes to briefly chase the Diamond just to let her know who's boss. I've never seen the Diamond with any torn fins. She's out all the time so I'd assume she doesn't see the Lawnmower as a threat.

My experience is they're safe together... Your experience may differ

accordsirh22
11/21/2012, 04:59 PM
both of the lawn mowers i have had DRASTICALLY change color. especially between night and day. overall they were tan in color. however at night thay could be as white as my sand with dark black marks. i have also seen them get VERY dark, assuming a reaction to being aggitated

EllieSuz
11/21/2012, 05:02 PM
I've always heard that blennies with similar body shapes will fight. If that's true, the Lawnmower and Starry will not get along. You should see signs of this in quarantine and decide whether you want to chance putting both of them in the display tank. My Starry gets along great with all my other fish, including a Randall's Goby, so I don't think you'll have any problem there, but between the two blennies, you could experience some aggression.

bambam918
11/22/2012, 12:10 AM
Why do you need both the lawnmower and starry? IMO one should be fine in a 120. I wold keep the starry over the lawnmower because they are cooler looking and have more personality, again MO.

EllieSuz
11/22/2012, 09:33 AM
The Lawnmower depends more on vegetable matter. They can be difficult to feed. The Starry still likes his vegies, but he'll feed on everything you put in the tank. Mine isn't a bit picky. I agree with BamBam; they have terrific personalities. (See my Avatar)

rjallen
11/22/2012, 12:46 PM
The Lawnmower depends more on vegetable matter. They can be difficult to feed. The Starry still likes his vegies, but he'll feed on everything you put in the tank. Mine isn't a bit picky. I agree with BamBam; they have terrific personalities. (See my Avatar)

I have a Diamond Goby, 1 inch, and a Lawn Mower Blenny, 2.5 inches. There is no problem between the two. I fact, the Goby will follow the Blenny around snacking on stuff when the the Blenny disturbs the sand. Once in awhile, when the Goby crowds the Blenny when both are working in a tight spot. The Blenny will tell the Goby to "back off" by turning on it. There is never contact and soon the Goby is back within a couple of inches of his bigger friend. Doesn't seem to phase the Diamond. In fact the Diamond Spot Goby is the most fearless tank mate of all my fish and the smallest.

I guess I'm lucky, for the first 4 weeks in the tank, my Lawn Mower would only eat micro algae of the tank walls. He would take a nip or two off the macro algae but did not seem to relish it. He ignored flakes or frozen food. Ate a little nori but preferred the tank wall algae. He was also very shy

Then, in the 4th week, his personality seemed to change. I started eating frozen shrimp & fish and nori. His favorite rock perch in the front center of the tank where he seems to watch my wife and myself. Still spends time on the tank walls but is developing into a very good pet.

Good luck and be patient with your Lawn Mower

RJ