PDA

View Full Version : 0.6mA From Tank to Ground..

pjhaddock
11/21/2012, 03:07 PM
I was bored so I decided to test my tank for this stuff. Testing from tank to ground I got 0.8V, no problem, but when I tested for AC mA I get a consistent reading of 0.6mA. Is this a concern? I do not use a grounding probe and everything is run off 2 20A GFCI circuits. Thanks!

pjhaddock
11/21/2012, 04:01 PM
Seems to have something to do with my T5's being close to the water (~4"). I played around with it and came up with some weird stuff. All these tests were with the meter probe in the sump, however in the display got the same numbers unless I turned off the return pump thereby separating the two.

Turn everything off, everything tests 0.
Turn all pumps and heaters on, 0.23v AC, 0.1v DC, 0.02mA AC, 0.0mA DC.
Turn on lights (8 54w T'5s) , 0.98v AC, 0.1v DC, 0.95mA AC, 0.0mA DC.
Raise canopy hood and lights , 0.65v AC, 0.07v DC, 0.1mA AC, 0.0mA DC.
I can raise it up and down and watch the v AC go up and down. I expect to have stray voltage, in fact I expect to have much more than I do, but the current makes me wonder. Meter error maybe?

Hamsternuts
11/22/2012, 02:43 AM
I think you may be inducing the error into your meter. 0.6 milliamps is very little current. You could easily be inducing that much current into the meter by having the meter wires, or any wires near an ocilating magnetic field, such as an energized AC wire. I think thats why you see the difference when you raise and lower the canopy.