PDA

View Full Version : 1/3 of my pocillo is dead?

geaux xman
11/21/2012, 04:21 PM
So about 1/3 of my pocc is bleached and dead. Its been this way for about 2-3 weeks now without the whole coral dying or getting worse. Do I clip the dead portion off?

This is in a 33g. Only other SPS in the tank is the birdnest. A bunch of LPS.

Bottom pic is taken from behind. Any thoughts? thanks..

http://i47.*******.com/2qmkqrd.jpg

http://i47.*******.com/2a99ulw.jpg

Allmost
11/21/2012, 04:25 PM
ID first double check Flow through the coral.

then increase particle feeding, if the birdsnest is doing really good .

geaux xman
11/21/2012, 04:43 PM
Its been moved around a few times in the tank. I have a mp10 at ~70%. 150w MH and a aquaclear hob.

I wasnt feeding anything into the tank except for flakes for a clown. I'll have to make a trip to the LFS then... I have 2 clowns and a bangaii now and feeding mysis.

any food suggestions?

I have 4-5" hammer x2, torch, duncan, frogspawn, and some plam trees.

also, just keep the dead portions of the pocc as is? will that interfere with the rest of the pocc's survival?

Allmost
11/21/2012, 04:49 PM
no no dont goto LFS now getting particle food, check other possibilities first :)

if the flow is good through the coral, then check for crabs REALLY carefully, they are better seen at night with a red light.

how is the birdsnest doing ? seems like the polyps retracted a bit, could be the same crab hurting it as well.

if ALL is good and other acros growing and pocillopora dying back, then particle food would help :)

allsps40
11/21/2012, 07:17 PM
How is your water chemistry? That may also help shed some light on things. There are no LPS near it right? As Allmost said look at night with a red light for anything that may be munching on it. Yeah dont go running to the LFS unless it is to have your water tested or better yet invest in some good test kits if you dont already have some.

Bugger
11/21/2012, 09:57 PM
Its not a water chemistry issue there are other corals doing fine in his tank so rule that out. You might want to try zeovit growth formulas look on this page for what you what
http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showpost.php?p=176635&postcount=6
selcon might help

geaux xman
11/22/2012, 07:50 AM
I had a huge algae bloom and had to redo the whole tank, so it could be a host of issues that cause the demise to the pocco.

ATM, I'm at 400 Ca, 8 Alk, 0 phos(Nutafin kit, probably off). Nitate, I lost the red spoon to add the powder(Salifert).

Any case, going forward, do I just leave the Pocc as is? Break off the dead skelton? The birdnest seems to be doing fine.

Zeovit is way beyond my experience level.

allsps40
11/22/2012, 12:37 PM
Stablility is the keep to keeping happy sps. Moving them around a lot and having to reduce a tank will for sure cause stability issues. Adding Zeovit products is not a cure all. From what little I can see of the tank in the pics it appears that the tank is young, the rock is pretty white with no visible coralline growth, the birds nest does not look to be the happiest but it is still alive. Bump the ca up to 450 and the alk up to 10, check your mag and make sure it is around 1350 and keep things stable at those levels and give the corals some time. Sps are not as forgiving to swings as softies and lps are.