PDA

View Full Version : Which light to use on 90gal mixed reef

psychofishy
11/21/2012, 05:39 PM
All,

I have been out of the picture for about 2 years and am looking to get back in..

Last I knew.. Tek lights were awesome, LED lights were unaffordable..

Fortunately the latter has changed, and that's the option I'm leaning towards in my mind..

My plan is to set up a 75 or 90 gallon mixed reef with fish. I will probably focus most on LPS and zoanthids, but plan to add some SPS to mix as well.. Perhaps even a clam down the road..

Basically, I do not want my choice of lighting to limit me in the future...

I have looked around for "reef 90 gallon led" but all I can find through google are topics over a year old, equipment may have changed a lot since that moment.

I am not looking to spend a fortune, but don't want to save pennies at the cost of quality either....

Any feedback is appreciated!

sirreal63
11/21/2012, 06:29 PM
If you want to remove lighting as a variable, then stick with T5 and MH or be prepared to spend a lot of money for the latest and greatest, none of which have had a chance to prove themselves long term. The Razor, GHK Mitra, PacSun, ReefTech and the soon to be released Radion Pro should be an improvement over the others, but that tech comes wi a price. Just about every year or less they make "improvements" over their previous fixture, this is a good thing unless you have last years light. Not much improvement has been made with MH andT5, they simply work as expected. Unless you just have to have LEDs, wait a while, they will only get better.