PDA

View Full Version : New to hobby/ forum from St. Louis area

Nano24ryan
11/23/2012, 10:24 AM
Hi my name is Ryan and I am new to the hobby and just started my 24 gallon nano cube. I'm sure I will be having lots of questions regarding saltwater tanks and the species in them and am thankful for any advice I will receive. I already have so many just reading topics on here and the books I have, also just from watching my tank cycle and starting to see what all can be in them just from day one. Seeing different worms and had one aiptasia that I hit with aiptasia x on day two. 211753211754

Nano24ryan
11/23/2012, 10:28 AM
The close up pic of the rock has a worm I found crawling around which appeared to be eating off the rock this morning. I believe it may be a Coral-eating fireworm (bearded fireworm) from what I'm seeing in one of my books. It's a little hard to see the worm on the pic as its very small ( about 1.5" long)

Chaotic Reefer4u
11/23/2012, 11:27 AM
Ryan
[welcome]
Beautiful setup, thanks for sharing!

Rembee
11/23/2012, 04:57 PM
Welcome Ryan,

As I see you have already started to do so, my best advise to you is to research, research and research. Also ask plenty of questions and research some more. And then, when you think you have read enough, research some more...lol

Happy Reefing

Nano24ryan
11/23/2012, 07:45 PM
Thanks all! And yes all I have been doing is researching. You could read all day long and never stop learning! Just wondering if these worms I am seeing are ok or if they will be harmful to my corals and fish if I don't do something about them? They are some sort of Bristleworm I believe, also I've seen two different ones, but they both look the same

Nano24ryan
11/23/2012, 07:46 PM
Thanks all! And yes all I have been doing is researching. You could read all day long and never stop learning! Just wondering if these worms I am seeing are ok or if they will be harmful to my corals and fish if I don't do something about them? They are some sort of Bristleworm I believe, also I've seen two different ones, but they both look the same.

fishchef
11/23/2012, 08:08 PM
I can't see the worm, sorry. Where do you live? Best place in St. Louis is Seascape. Catch it and take it in. They'll know.

fanning
11/23/2012, 11:13 PM
hey ryan, welcome to the hobby. im just back myself from a couple year break...from my expierence they are bristle worms and as long as you keep your water paramiters good you wont get an infestation...some are good they are detritus feeders but an infestation just looks bad..and im pretty sure they may sting some fish or corals.

Tradewinds
11/24/2012, 05:43 AM
Hi Ryan,

Welcome to the hobby. Not sure if you are aware of the local reef club forums on RC, but be sure to check out the Saint Louis Area Saltwater Hobbyists (SLASH) forum on RC: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=414

There is also Saltwater Enthusiasts Association of St. Louis (SEASL)
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=169

Have fun!

Nano24ryan
11/24/2012, 07:38 AM
Thanks! And on the worm I believe it us a Bristleworm, but last night when the lights went off I noticed almost all of my separate rock pieces had 1 coming out to feed on the rock! I was using my led on my phone to watch and seen at least 5 and a few other tiny critters running around on the rock. Should I be concerned about the worms? I'd hate to have a tank that is filled with ugly nasty looking worms.

Nano24ryan
11/24/2012, 07:38 AM
@tradewinds thanks I will be checking out the locals

fanning
11/24/2012, 10:04 AM
yeah bro like i said some r actually good for the tank they feed on ammonia causing detritus but to many just look u have nasty worm problem..lol if i remember right six lines feed on bristles..if someone else can confirm...that may help u keep them under control

Nano24ryan
11/24/2012, 10:20 AM
@fanning thanks I will look into a six lines when my tank is ready for fish