PDA

View Full Version : Maroon Clown - Whats on its mouth?

ElkhornSea
11/23/2012, 02:25 PM
Please look. It follows the line on the corner of its mouth on one side. Its raised up and looks like a large "white head pimple". I dont know if this is related but my Yellow Tang I had since the beginning of my reef just passed a few days ago with no marks on its body. Had a day or two of heavy breathing and then nothing. The clown on the other hand seems fine other than the growth on its face.

b0bab0ey
11/23/2012, 04:09 PM
I'm not 100% sure what that is, but it could be Lymphocystis, a bacterial infection or even Fungus. However, if I were you, I'd be more concerned with how you described that YT passing. Heavy breathing in Tangs can be a symptom of parasites in the gills, particularly Ich. Were any of these fish QT'd prior to being put in the DT?

ElkhornSea
11/23/2012, 05:03 PM
Unfortunately I am pretty well versed with Ich. This Tang had no spots on fins, gills, matter of fact it looked completely healthy which is why I was baffled when it bit the dust. My six line wrasse and sand sifter both look completely healthy still which would be odd if I had an outbreak of Ich wouldnt you think? Either way to answer your question I did not quarantine anything prior to putting in. I am purchasing a QT next week so this stuff cant happen in the future to me. Feels like Russion Roulette
Do you know of other parasites that cause heavy breathing? So far the Maroon clown is still acting and breathing normal.

b0bab0ey
11/23/2012, 06:04 PM
Do you know of other parasites that cause heavy breathing? So far the Maroon clown is still acting and breathing normal.

Ich can reside only in the gills. Sometimes you'll never see a white spot on the body. Heavy breathing is a classic symptom of this. I have a PBT who would rub her gills and had heavy breathing for months after the last white spot disappeared. Your YT would succumb before any of your other fish because Tangs have thin mucous coatings, making them more susceptible. Your sand sifter (Goby) would be the least susceptible for the exact opposite reason, thick mucous coating.

I'm not saying you definitely have Ich, but I would be a bit concerned. You are doing the right thing investing in a QT.