PDA

View Full Version : New to hobby, new to forum

Surgical
11/24/2012, 05:01 AM
Hi yall, im iain. Im here to introduce myself on rc. I have a 40b with sand and rock. thats it! I actually have a sump too and rio powerhead, skimmer dunno the brand, overflow, aquaticlife t5 4bulb lighting. Im still in the process of having a nice stand built, so the rocks are in a tub with a ph.

Ive been lurking and getting info on this and other forums, but decided its better to participate! So as i learn, ill be able to share like others have done with me! Thanks.

-iain

ArrowCrab
11/24/2012, 06:42 AM
Welcome to the forums!

Have any ideas on the fish you'll be wanting? How long have you been cycling?

Guss
11/24/2012, 06:47 AM
Welcome... there is tons of info here, read the stickies! Good luck and go slow if you think its ready, wait a week to be sure.

Chaotic Reefer4u
11/24/2012, 10:50 AM
Surgical
[welcome]

coralsnaked
11/24/2012, 11:20 AM
Welcome Surgical

A 40 gal is a nice tank to start with. Not too big or too small. You can make a nice reef tank w/ it. Great to hear you are curing those rocks outside of the display and sandbed, hope you have minimum of 60 lbs. Be sure to test for PO4 while curing and do water changes and/or GFO in reactor to export the Phosphates. This will insure you have a good start up with little or no algae problems. Be sure to keep that sand below 2" to avoid problems in the future. If those are the 2' T5HO bulbs then you should have 8K lumens or about 200 lumens per gal which should be good for all coral growth. Your return to/from sump should be about 200 gph for best filtration and skimming. And your Rio powerhead needs to be about 1200 gph for sufficient circulation in display tank. For testing equipment I would suggest a NSW Temp Compensating Refractometer, Red Sea Pro for foundation elements (Ca, Mg, Alk), NO3, NO2, NH3; and pH & PO4 meters from Hanna. Be sure to use high quality reef salt, I like Kent Marine products for pretty much everything including suppliments for dosing.

Good luck and I hope you build a Merry Skerry