PDA

View Full Version : Closed loop on a smaller tank (<60g)

gveng
11/25/2012, 12:50 AM
I've always loved the aesthetics of a closed loop system but I only see them on big tanks.

Anyone running one on a small tank? what's your set up? thinking of drilling the back of a cube tank.

Thanks!

ReefKeeper64
11/25/2012, 01:32 AM
I have a 109g tank on order that is going to be run as a closed loop with an oceans motions 4 way wavemaker. You should be fine with a closed loop on a <60g tank. It takes a little more work up front but you get the no pumps and wires look along with great flow too. All of my holes will be drilled on the bottom of the tank and they will be disguised in a polygem reef safe epoxy.

Drae
11/25/2012, 07:37 AM
Imho it would be overkill on such a small tank. Unnecessary electricity, equipment, plumbing, etc. I do appreciate the minimal equipment look inside the tank but I definitely would consider the vortech or tunze route. That's just me tho. Keep it simple.

ReefKeeper64
11/25/2012, 11:38 AM
Yea, no doubt a closed loop is more work up front but size of tank isn't a deciding factor IMHO. Its really all about personal aesthetics and folks like reef smac love (totm) them. Both methods are functional however.