PDA

View Full Version : Hippo tang swimming when air stone is off but hides when its on?

paparchasa84
11/25/2012, 11:12 AM
As the op says, i've been worried about my hippo bc i havent really noticed it eating or swimming much. But it started eating alot more in the last 5 days and went crazy when i introduced him to mysis. So i turn the airstone off for feeding and it starts swimming like its in the ocean super happy but, as soon as i turn the air stone on it hides? Any suggestions my qt is a 20 gal and the airstone is the fine bubble which makes the really small bubbles.

MARINECRITTERS
11/25/2012, 12:45 PM
Tangs in general I have found to be somewhat skittish, the bubbles are just scaring it away. If you are looking for aeration protein skimmers and surface agitation should do the trick.

ArrowCrab
11/25/2012, 02:14 PM
Would it be possible to put some kind of opaque plastic around the bubble column so the tang can't see the bubbles going up?

paparchasa84
11/25/2012, 02:31 PM
Would it be possible to put some kind of opaque plastic around the bubble column so the tang can't see the bubbles going up?

That is a good idea ill try it when i get home and let you guys know the result. Because when there is nothing on it swims freely but when i turn it on it runs away. So i turned the bubble maker off before coming to work this morning and will see how its doing when i get home bc, i know they need some kind of surface agitation to swim in. Although i do have an aqueon model 20 filter which makes a waterfall type splash

Reef264
11/25/2012, 06:50 PM
Pretty normal.Hippo's in general are Frady Cats..

-Ray

Reef264
11/25/2012, 06:51 PM
Double Post.