PDA

View Full Version : update on h. crispa

ellesea
11/25/2012, 02:54 PM
So 2 weeks ago I posted about an anemone I purchased. Initially I thought I was a bubble tip but the awesome people here identified it correctly for me. It was completely white when I got it home and has since gained a little color, pinkish in the tentacles with white tips, but very faintly colored. It seems to be improving but the only probably is it won't seem to attach anywhere. I was advised to place it on a rock and I did and it stayed there until sometime in the middle off the night idk when. I woke up to it rolled into the corner. And it has done this ever since, I put it on the rock it stays a day maybe two then rolls around the tank like a tumble weed. I was told to wait for it to be attached a few days before feeding it so im not quite sure what to do. It has caught a few tiny mysis from feeding my fish. Any advice or tips? Thanks.

Lauren

bradleym
11/25/2012, 03:28 PM
If it is able to take food into its mouth it will grow stronger, and eventually attach somewhere. When it rolls away, I would say give it another 24 hours to see if roams anywhere else. If not, just put it back and wait again. Eventually it will attach or move, then attach somewhere.

If it is keeping it's mouth closed you can try giving it some food, but only 2 or 3 mysis at a time.

ellesea
11/25/2012, 05:40 PM
Okay thanks. I'll definitely watch where it rolls to next time. Thanks for all the help!

rssjsb
11/25/2012, 06:05 PM
Shouldn't a crispa be placed in the sand?

phender
11/25/2012, 06:23 PM
Shouldn't a crispa be placed in the sand?

All the crispas I have had have attached to rocks. Nearly all of the wild pics I have seen of them have been attached to the rocks.
Burying themselves in the sand takes some time and effort on the anemone's part. IME, attaching to rocks or crevices seems easier for them as they acclimate.

rssjsb
11/25/2012, 07:03 PM
Interesting.

Do they attach to rock above sand level? I've never seen one do that, but I've never kept one, either. I guess the ones I've seen have been a the sand-rock interface at the bottom of the tank.

Never been diving where these guys are common.

garygb
11/25/2012, 07:15 PM
My experience has been the same as phender"s. And to answer your question rssjsb, no they don't seem to prefer anything to do with the sand. I would say they prefer to attach more similar to a bta, in a hole or crevice. I know sometimes they attach under the sand to a rock or perhaps to the bottom of the tank, but mine wouldn't stay put until it attached in a crevice in the liverock where its foot is firmly planted on the wall of the tank.

nogascans
11/25/2012, 08:37 PM
Same here. Between glass and pair of rocks.

Also, they don't like a whole lot of flow either.

Sincerely,

David

rssjsb
11/26/2012, 09:03 AM
Good to know. I guess I got this anemone confused with something else.

(Sorry for the derail, ellesea. Hope yours settles in soon.)

shred5
11/26/2012, 02:06 PM
Mine is at the sand rock interface.

It is actually attached to the bottom of the aquarium under the sand.

ellesea
11/26/2012, 09:18 PM
Thanks for all the help guys! I'll be sure to keep updating.