PDA

View Full Version : Are you a busy reefer? Tell us about your setup ( if you have a minute:-)

kelp47
11/25/2012, 05:27 PM
If you have focused on building a reef setup that works for a busy life, tell us about your setup. List your equipment and describe any processes you do to make upkeep easier. Any tips are appreciated!

LinkinReef
11/25/2012, 05:39 PM
I have a pretty busy life working a full time 3rd shift job, a part-time job in the morning and part time college right after. On my 34g Solana, I just do a 5g water change every week. It has a reactor with gfo and carbon which I change every 6-8 weeks. For top-offs I use a tunze osmolator. Tank is running great so far just keeping it plain and simple, no dosing anything at all. For flow I have a mp40 and light is a XR30 Radion.

Froggy
11/25/2012, 05:46 PM
I consider myself busy between work, overtime, married life with two children 4 and 7 yo. What works for me is keeping my 120 gallon SPS dominant reef as simple as possible. Live rock, shallow sand bed, T5 lighting, sump with an oversized skimmer, passive carbon in sump. I only manually add calcium/alkalinity supplements daily and a 5 gallon water change once a week on the weekends. I stay away from all the different additives and systems involving carbon dosing, zeo, etc etc. I feel my tank is pretty successful keeping it simple and allowing me to ENJOY the tank and family too.

Joe

kelp47
11/25/2012, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the feedback so far. This is great. I certainly don't think I'm the only busy person in this world, so I was hoping a few experienced reefers could give us all some good advice. I intend to keep mine as simple as possible as well, so it's good to hear how others are able too accomplish this. Keep the advice coming!

Phranque
11/25/2012, 11:02 PM
I'm a Quality Control manager for a concrete company, and this time of year is "silly season".... all the construction companies are trying to get as much concrete placed on their projects as quickly as possible before winter sets in.... 70-90 hour weeks are common for a while.
28 gallon JBJ 89w LED nano mixed reef (plus an ocellaris & six-line) with a Tunze 9002 skimmer and a pair of BRS dosers for 2-part. I feed every other to every third day, and 5-10 gallon pwc once a week. I'll sneak in some parameter testing when time permits, but I always test Calc/Alk every 3 to 4 days to ensure dosing is remaining in line.

S2minute
11/25/2012, 11:25 PM
I'm busy with work and trying to build my home SO my time has to balance out with my reef. I'd have to say the single most time saving way to manage your reef is to setup a Auto-water top off and make up system. I use a liter meter 3 to doze a kalk/vinegar solution at night as part of a top off system. I also use an auto top off system in my sump for evaporation and a 30 gal rubbermaid trash can for water storage. This is all run through a 3 stage 50 gpd RO/DI with a step up pump all from Specrapure. I change out 50 gals per week on avg.

reefgeezer
11/26/2012, 12:54 PM
I do think it is wise for people to recognize that they have other obligations. My system allows me to be away from the tank for a while. Calcium, alk, and now carbon dosing are maintained with dosing pumps and digital timers, as is the ATO. An automatic feeder supplies pellets. Lights are on timers. The skimmer cup has a built in overflow to a drain.

I still have someone check the tank when I'm away, but it doesn't require anyone with a lot of technical ability. Someone that can see that the water level is near a line drawn on the sump and the pumps are running is about all that is needed.